Pioneer CDJ-100 vs CDJ 200

Just to add to some confusion about the pitch resolution:

You can calculate that a 0.7% pitch change is around the same as 1 BPM (when the speed is 140BPM). Now, this doesn't work exactly when you go too far, eg. adding 7.0% definetely does not make it go 10 BPM faster!

But anyhow, since most of your tracks are around 140-148 BPM, you can get a very quick rough position on the speed while beatmatching by keeping both decks running at increments of 0.7% on the pitch faders. And then yes, by all means, start to fiddle with it when it's going off.

Good luck!

miKe

303737[/snapback]

ah yes, the golden formula!

greatest tip of em all!

Should I spend extra on a GOOD mixer?

Basilisk, I accept recommendations *anything below 300 USD in the US*

303635[/snapback]

Yeah, I'd actually spend more on the mixer. Personally I have a crappy numark two-channel... it does the trick, it can be brought out easily, but it's nothing fancy. Vestax makes some great mixers imho. Take note of what I wrote about the 'cue knob' earlier in the thread.

About only seeing 100s on the streets - well yeah, they just came out all of two months ago or whatever. If it weren't for them being cheaply made plastic, I think we'd see a greater adoption rate. As is I don't see any logical follower to the 100 right now, though I wish more promoters would start bringing 800s or 1000s out. Those are sweet.

As for mylo and anyone else claiming the 100s are perfectly fine - sounds like you might not have as precise an ear as I possess, or just don't really care. One minute mixes of full-on stuff? Whatever floats your boat...

Yeah, I'd actually spend more on the mixer. Personally I have a crappy numark two-channel... it does the trick, it can be brought out easily, but it's nothing fancy. Vestax makes some great mixers imho. Take note of what I wrote about the 'cue knob' earlier in the thread.

About only seeing 100s on the streets - well yeah, they just came out all of two months ago or whatever. If it weren't for them being cheaply made plastic, I think we'd see a greater adoption rate. As is I don't see any logical follower to the 100 right now, though I wish more promoters would start bringing 800s or 1000s out. Those are sweet.

As for mylo and anyone else claiming the 100s are perfectly fine  - sounds like you might not have as precise an ear as I possess, or just don't really care. One minute mixes of full-on stuff? Whatever floats your boat...

303765[/snapback]

the 1000's are very popular around calgary. i see them everywhere!

full-on is quite tough to make a long mix in comparison to prog. you will be lucky to find two tracks that fit for a 1 minute mix. thats why loops are so handy for fullon.

i dont want to dis prog, but, it annoys me when prog DJs frown upon fullon DJs for not making long mixes. :rolleyes:

thats like booing a racer for not taking a long turn on a sharp corner :lol:

good sound is the most important!!!

what numark mixer do u use?

I'd have to agree with Basilisk... 0.02% pitch resolution is so smooth!

But there's always the option of buying one cdj100 and one cdj200... why not :)

That way you can make small adjustments on the 200 even while it's playing, no one wil notice pitching up/down 0.02-0.04%...

The oh so over used flanger effect on the CDJ100 is actually worse on the 200..activating the effect, pressing hold and giving the jog wheel a slight touch wheel to the left will make the flanger rate start at the lowest possible (just as it should..)

But in the 200s the flanger rate starts what I guess would be between the lowest and highest flanger rate.. really stupid

I've had the 200 for like 2-3 months now and it's indeed a very good CD player, especially at that price.. btw here's my setup ;)

2x CDJ100

1x CDJ200

1x 1200MK5

1x Vestax PDX-d3

Pioneer DJM 500

I'll probably get rid of the 100s pretty soon

I have no idea actually... maybe another 200, or perhaps a 1000. I'm not in a rush though..

But I should be investing in more CDs/vinylsI guess, but it's hard when you're a gear junkie / technology freak :P

full-on is quite tough to make a long mix in comparison to prog.  you will be lucky to find two tracks that fit for a 1 minute mix.  thats why loops are so handy for fullon.

i dont want to dis prog, but, it annoys me when prog DJs frown upon fullon DJs for not making long mixes.  :rolleyes: 

303786[/snapback]

-Basiliks is wright : It is way more difficult to hold proggie tracks together on a cdj 100 than 145 bpm full-on stuff due to the 0.1% limitation.

-simple math :

progressive : one beat +- 0.75 %

full-on : 1 beat +- 0.7%

-1 minute mixes with full-on are really a piece of cake, 2 -3 min mixes are way more fun !!!

Luckily I don't play progressive and do own a cdj 200 ....

i dont want to dis prog, but, it annoys me when prog DJs frown upon fullon DJs for not making long mixes.  :rolleyes: 

good sound is the most important!!!

what numark mixer do u use?

303786[/snapback]

Sure enough, but you're not implying I'm a "prog DJ" are you? ;)

I always advocate doing the best you can with whatever music you play with... prog sounds nice with long blends, and I do recognize that with full-on a lot of the time you just want to get out of the way.

I think I have the 1002x... something old anyway. Picked it up 6 years ago or whatever, replaced the crossfader once. Good investment of a couple hundred bucks, thats for sure... I'd like something with four channels though, so I can use my turntables at the same time...

-1 minute mixes with full-on are really a piece of cake, 2 -3 min mixes are way more fun !!!

Luckily I don't play progressive and do own a cdj 200 ....

303814[/snapback]

that's pretty brave dude :o ! sounds crazy! put a mix online so we can hear you!

hmmmmmm...........personally:

I find a minute is the way to go, especially with the harder, more intricate tunes.

The last minute is where everything seems to die down and level off a bit - the perfect portion for both tunes to play on top of each other. 2-3 min before the end of the track the song is normally either at it's peak, or in the middle of a huge break. Both are not the best moments to bring in your new tune. Especially when you have 2 loud portions on top of each other, clipping can occur and the intensity of the music is doubled. Melodies can become confused, and generally things can get a bit messy.

I have developed my style over the space of 6 years, and have been playing professionally for 5. I have learned from some of the best and I have a distinct style which works for me. Firstly I believe in letting the magic of the songs shine through. Sometimes a song comes together at the 2-3 min mark, the "climax" if you want to call it. Or it makes it's big "melodic statement". And I think it's bad to distract people form this moment.

I don't put my mixing "on display" and show off my skills. But rather knit together a tapestry of awesome tunes, and make my mixes as invisible as possible. I try to spin for 3 hours without anyone noticing a single mix. I also never pitch up or down more than 1.4% ( 2 bpm ). I would rather choose another, more suitable tune than force it into a bpm range. Often when you pitch a track too much it sounds like it's either dragging it's feet ( too slow for it's size ) or it's too thin and flat ( too fast for it's size ). To be honest, mostly, my pitch control is sitting on "0". That's why I'm not that excited about CDJ 200's anyway :P

I normally mix out at -1:00, and I never use the crossfader! Or the levels! I mix completely with the EQ's! I find this gives the smoothest transitions and keeps the levels going steady because you are slowly swopping each channel and therefore have more control. So you actually have 3 little stagerred tansitions instead of one big one.

Anyhoo. This is the way I do it. It's by no means the only way, or the right way. I am sure you all have your own styles. If you don't have a style yet, I hope you can at least get 1 usefull tip out of this!

peace

Melodies can become confused, and generally things can get a bit messy.

I don't put my mixing "on display" and show off my skills. But rather knit together a tapestry of awesome tunes, and make my mixes as invisible as possible. I try to spin for 3 hours without anyone noticing a single mix.

303965[/snapback]

Attention: see the topic on harmonic mixing I started in the general forum for your first problem!! This also relates to your tendancy to mix within the 2bpm range.

Secondly, I agree - let the music speak. That's certainly an aspect of my style as well. With full-on there is more x-fader fuckery going on however...

Attention: see the topic on harmonic mixing I started in the general forum for your first problem!! This also relates to your tendancy to mix within the 2bpm range.

304211[/snapback]

Mixing in Key is key!

Harmonics rawks! But still somethings just don't go together! It's like 2 guitar solos on one stage :lol:

BTW I found Mixmeister particularly handy for discovering what key a track is in ;)

that's pretty brave dude :o !  sounds crazy! put a mix online so we can hear you!

hmmmmmm...........personally:

I find a minute is the way to go, especially with the harder, more intricate tunes.

check :

http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?sh...ndpost&p=249501

I must say that due to the nature of this kind of music most mixes are not that long : 1 min30 sec - 2 min 15; the seroxat shrink mix is 2.50min, but 15 tracks in 73 min should be enough to keep the energy high.

*an old 3 decks super cheezy mix I once made as a joke, I 'm not into happy full-on, It took me one whole day of really hard work to put it together.

-dikke plakken kaas (big slices of cheese)

-june 2004

-78 min

1) astral projection : axis 0.99 (why not)

2) altöm : not from concentrate (neurobiotics)

3) tristan vs the electic ant : six straight days (nano)

4) protoculture : new directions (nano)

5) silicon sound : electro body music (neurobiotics)

6) hujaboy : tribal mood (hommega)

7) man with no name : visit the moon (dragon fly)

8) protoculture : avalon (nano)

9) altöm : hologram (neurobiotics)

10)zorba : barkass (spun)

11)astrix (jaïa rmx) (illegal mp3)

12)cyan : electro texture (nano)

13)altöm : wonderfull (3d vision)

14)commercial hippies : not human (nano)

15)sub 6 ft michelle adamson (psysex rmx) ra hé'ya (hommega)

16)hujaboy - modufications (hommega)

17)psydrop - zone x (phonokol)

18)logic bomb - extension (spiral trax)

19)yahel- for the people (sst)

bonus tracks :

etnica (fractal glider rmx) (boom)

jirah : outer access (usta)

http://66.135.37.73/psyvideo.com/~dj/Lepto...plakkenkaas.mp3

cool! Downloading! Looking forward to hearing your l33tness!

Is this mixing with 200's???

304317[/snapback]

2cdj 100 and 1 gemini cdj 20, it's an old mix (june 2004) and it is super über cheezy

lepton was kind enough to mail me his 4 hour long killaar darkpsy set. bloody brilliant mixing. i loved how he would only use the best few minutes of a track and switch to a new choon. very good, one of the best mixes ive heard from any psynews members.

lepton was kind enough to mail me his 4 hour long killaar darkpsy set. bloody brilliant mixing. i loved how he would only use the best few minutes of a track and switch to a new choon. very good, one of the best mixes ive heard from any psynews members.

304331[/snapback]

Any chance we could listen to that masterpiece as well?

I'd love to.

• 3 weeks later...

I must highly recomend the Numark 3002x mixer, one of the nicest mixer i´ve played with, and i´ve played with many different ones.

DM3002X

_ Inputs: 3 phono, 3 line, 1 mic w/ EQ

_ Outputs: master, record, PFL cue send for sampling, fader start

_ Bass, middle, and treble KILL switches

_ Unique punch IN/OUT transform buttons, panning

_ Channels contain: gain, 3-band rotary EQ, PFL meter, post process loops

_ Assignable crossfader w/ “hamster” and slope adjust

Posted Image

Cheers! :D