DJing

i'd love to do some djing, but i have no idea how about how that works.

so my questions go out to all u out there who are djing...

how did u start? did u just buy the gear and tried out yourself, did u have the chance to learn it somewhere?

which gear do i need?

i'd be thankful for any information...

Well, don't listen to much to me... I don't own any equipment and I'm a shit DJ when it comes to electronic music - but I spin rock music pretty decently... But that's really easy!...

But yeah - just get the gear and practice... Maybe study some tips and techniques on beatmixing and try 'em out...

/DP

how did u start? did u just buy the gear and tried out yourself, did u have the chance to learn it somewhere?

which gear do i need?

302666[/snapback]

the hardest part to learn from scratch is actually beat-mixing. once you got that down, its really easy from then on. just practice the technique of being to listen to 2 tunes at the same time, and know whcih one to slow down / speed up, so that they are in sync.

which hardware do i have to get?

i guess two of those special cd players (recommondations?)

mixtable (recom.?)

anything else ?

302971[/snapback]

well just to mix?

umm...you would need 2 cd players, (the ones with pitch control, jog-wheel etc.) i would get anyones that suit your pocket, it doesnt really matter. although the CDJ - 1000's are amazing (and fcuking expensive). and a mixer really. anyone with 2 / 3 channels is fine.

also obviously...you would need an output. like a hifi or amp or sound system to play it through.

and dont forget a set of decent headphones. spend at least a good £80 on a set of headphones as its better to buy once than replace every 2 months.

which gear do i need?

302666[/snapback]

i thought i would add more reply:

when i started to spin psy, its only because i love the music. and want to share it with everyone (because no one plays it where i live)

i am not a club DJ but i play lots of underground parties and some raves. IMO thats the best places to play anyways, very exciting, if you want a fun hobby;)

unless you know some1 who spins psy, chances are you wont find a place to try 2 CD decks. most DJs play house/trance and have turntables + CDJ for the odd tune. where i live using CDs is frowned upon because they think u are playing mp3!!!

i bought two American Audio CDI 500. DO NOT BUY THESE.

my advice to you:

- effecs features of CD decks is not important

- the most important is the quality

you wont be having fun if you cant beatmatch on your decks because they dont hold a pitch

get the pro decks

like Pioneer CDJ 100's or the new 200

DONT get a numark cd deck, or any cd deck designed for rap/club music

these decks are fine for some music but *not* for psy. IMO pioneers are the only way to go for psy... i learnt this the hard way!!

finally... just play,... try to play the songs u love ... and if you want people to dance... play around with many different songs ... the songs you love might not be the songs people dance to ... so experiment!! if no one will book you to play their rave, then... throw your own party ! with help of friends!!

cheers

dave

well just to mix?

302977[/snapback]

well, maybe some effects stuff and that sort of stuff... no idea what a 'normal' dj uses...

also obviously...you would need an output. like a hifi or amp or sound system to play it through.

302977[/snapback]

now thats really obvious hehe ;)

i have a pair of philips SBC HP800

they are pretty good imo, at least they never made problems

To start DJ'ing I bought 2 Pioneer CDJ 100s and a simple Newmark Mixer.

Then I taught myself beatmixing and the rest.

Get yourself your own gear so you can practise often. Invite people to jam with you and share tips and tricks.

get decent headphones, not that necessary if you only spin in your bedroom though.. but if you "get out" they will need to isolate well!

About CD-players, get a pair with decent pitch accuracy. Most have 0.1% but Pioneer´s CDJ-1000 and CDJ-200 have 0.02% increments. But then again cd players out at parties aren't always this good so I guess it's good to practice with 0.1% :)

I started out like mylo, numark mixer and two cdj-100s.. they're decent starters especially at their price today.

About techniques, it seems like people either beatmatch in the headphones or with one cup, or even switching between both.. I started mixing in headphones but eventually I moved over more to mixing with one cup..

Mixing with one cup does not require anything of the mixer, whereas mixing in the headphones requires splitcue/multiple channels monitoring or whatever they're called... You should have this in mind if you're aims are to play out.

And remember to practice, practice, practice!! First months could be hell and you'll maybe feel like giving up but be patient!

good luck B)

All the parties, raves and this one festival I've been to in Brazil.. All I have seen is Pioneer CDJ 100's..

And I'm speaking of Raves for 3000-12000 people. Artists such as Infected Mushroom, Bizarre Contact, Ticon, Talamasca, GMS, Astrix, Sub6, Psysex..

When you think about it you might think CDJ100's are old, etc, but I guess it suits the good artists as well even though they're quite old.

I really want to buy my equipment, but prices in Brazil are too expensive.

I need to import them from the US.

I want to get a pair of Pioneer CDJs. Either the 100 or the 200.

And for mixing A Pioneer DJM 300s.

Headphones either the Sony MDR V700 or the Technics DJ1200.

Suggestions? Opinions?

This should add up to 1200 USD which I can afford now that I finally graduated.

I don't like Pioneer mixers :( they're so expensive.

I left my mixer in Cape Town so I'm going to get a Behringer for over here :)

CDJ 100s are cool. They are like the SL 1200's of cd-players. Most clubs and parties I've played at have them.

I don't like Pioneer mixers :( they're so expensive.

I left my mixer in Cape Town so I'm going to get a Behringer for over here :)

CDJ 100s are cool. They are like the SL 1200's of cd-players. Most clubs and parties I've played at have them.

303274[/snapback]

You don't like them because they're expensive or because they're actually bad products?

Which Beringher/Numark mixers are similar to the DJM-300s and are cheaper?

DJM-300s costs 270 USD

You don't like them because they're expensive or because they're actually bad products?

Which Beringher/Numark mixers are similar to the DJM-300s and are cheaper?

DJM-300s costs 270 USD

303277[/snapback]

I guess I juste hate playing on them as well. Don't like the interface. But that's me :P Also the experience that I have had with the 300's found them to be a little too soft on the output.

This Behringer baby is 3 channels and a third of the price.

CLICKY

Pioneer CD decks are standard - don't fuck around with anything else. Get something with a good pitch resolution - anything but the 100 these days (they're being phased out). For a mixer, you can start with a cheapo 2-chan, just make sure there is some EQ to work with (low-mid-high). A cue knob is quite handy to learn as well - and I'm constantly surprised at how many high end mixers do not have them! This isn't even usually a feature that the manufacturer lists, or I just don't know the term. Essentially its where you can listen to two channels in the headphones, but have a knob to control how much of each.

Beyond that, with the resources on the web, you can learn the rest very fast. I learned to DJ when it was a matter of passing on tricks in real life, and some things took forever, because they weren't very intuitive. Nowadays I think I could mentor someone into having some solid skills in three to six months, whereas it took me years. I'd know the approach to take.

What cannot be rapidly learned is the music itself, and your taste, and how songs go together to build a flow. I think programming and a good ear take the longest to develop, and you can't rush that. You also have to think on your toes if you go out and get some gigs eventually - you can never be sure what the equipment or the sound system will be like, or what sorts of madness you would have to endure as a DJ. Best advice is to stay away from the fucking parties unless you have a high tolerance for other people's bullshit.

Best advice is to stay away from the fucking parties unless you have a high tolerance for other people's bullshit.

303316[/snapback]

LOL

so true! Especially from Ego deejays, organisers that are wasted, club owners that forget to pay you and Kids on pills requesting skazi!

:lol:

may the force be with you ;)

Pioneer CD decks are standard - don't fuck around with anything else. Get something with a good pitch resolution - anything but the 100 these days (they're being phased out).

For a mixer, you can start with a cheapo 2-chan, just make sure there is some EQ to work with (low-mid-high). A cue knob is quite handy to learn as well. Essentially its where you can listen to two channels in the headphones, but have a knob to control how much of each.

303316[/snapback]

So the 200's are worth it for the pitch resolution? You've played with them?

Any cheap 2 chan mixers you recommend with a cue-knob?

I'd appreciate being able to listen to 2 channels on the headphones. Perhaps could be a good tool to learn beat matching.

LOL

so true! Especially from Ego deejays, organisers that are wasted, club owners that forget to pay you and Kids on pills requesting skazi!

:lol:

303507[/snapback]

Man.. psytrance has started to grow now in Brazil - I mean, it's becoming POPULAR! - so DJs get requests to play Infected Mushroom's I WISH (Skazi rmx) every single party and probably many times..

Daaaaaaaaaaamn!!!! :P

So the 200's are worth it for the pitch resolution? You've played with them?

303553[/snapback]

I think I gave the low-down in the other thread... they're good for the pitch res, kind of cheap for everything else, something you'd want to keep at home and not bring out to parties. 100s get aggravating if you're trying to perfect your mixing skills as I have been. Considering the time between just learning and realling honing your skills can actually be fairly short if you get people to point out stuff that took me years to figure out on my own, going with decks that have higher pitch resolution to start off with sounds like saving yourself some trouble down the road.