What good are reviews?

Basilisk

uh oh :)

it's the truth.

i also appreciate the info about the artists. you get that from the inside cover of the cds, right? :)

thank YOU

ok guys, cut the crap about discogs and india and dont hijack this thread :D

303995[/snapback]

Uuuuu, sorry you thread cop... :P

Man, that sounds MAGICAL and pretty much like the description my buddy gave me when he was there a couple of years back... Sounds awesome, and I'm still gonna ask you about it @ The Psynews Gathering... Some druqckz will get you going... Hehe...

/DP

303997[/snapback]

I don't need druqkz to share such experience, just spare time... Hehehe... ;)

No more hijacking...

Reviews are nice for getting to know what someone else made being high or down and what he will do to your brain if you are not prepared...

Good enough ?

:P

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reviews are nice for getting to know what someone else made being high or down and what he will do to your brain if you are not prepared...

Good enough ?

:P

304001[/snapback]

works for now :)

The problem with reviewers that receive promos is that they tend to describe the music in very broad terms and avoid an actual position on the music. A generic and unimaginative release doesn't result in a negative review, the conclusion is that "the album might appeal fans of the sound". In my opinion, that doesn't qualify as a review, it's rather product information.

It's obvious that reviews in mags are based on promos, but on a public forum people who receive promos and review them should add that information to their review.

The problem with reviewers that receive promos is that they tend to describe the music in very broad terms and avoid an actual position on the music. A generic and unimaginative release doesn't result in a negative review, the conclusion is that "the album might appeal fans of the sound". In my opinion, that doesn't qualify as a review, it's rather product information.

304052[/snapback]

Yes, I do that... I give recommendations in my reviews... Trying to give an estimate of which people will like a certain review... What's the harm in that? I've never written a review where I said "everyone will like this"... I'm more like "this will appeal to fans of... " ... I don't see the harm in that? I actually see it as one of my obligations towards the readers, to narrow down the style - and then shape my recommendation from that...

It's obvious that reviews in mags are based on promos, but on a public forum people who receive promos and review them should add that information to their review.

304052[/snapback]

I do whatever I can to do just that... :)

/DP

Yes, I do that... I give recommendations in my reviews... Trying to give an estimate of which people will like a certain review... What's the harm in that? I've never written a review where I said "everyone will like this"... I'm more like "this will appeal to fans of... " ... I don't see the harm in that? I actually see it as one of my obligations towards the readers, to narrow down the style - and then shape my recommendation from that...

I do whatever I can to do just that...  :)

/DP

304070[/snapback]

Yes, you are doing it just right DP, I sometimes say that 'this album is for ones that like their brain twisting' for example cause if you don't write thing like that, people can think that any album is good for them, being soft or hard...you actually need to give them some non subjective hint, which is in this case simple description of feeling. People more trust someone's feel than actual review.

;)

well to everyone complaining about reviewers saying "this ain't my cup of tea but I'm sure other fans of the genre will like it"... what's wrongg with that??? For example I can find a progressive release VERY boring yet take care of saying in my review that progressive isn't my style and that if you like progressive then you might have a different opinion... I REALLY REALLY don't see why is that a BAD thing? :blink:

PS moni: I take it you didn't like the Apsara CD? what's wrong with you, girl? :P nah just kidding, different tastes, different opinions ;)

PS moni: I take it you didn't like the Apsara CD? what's wrong with you, girl?  :P nah just kidding, different tastes, different opinions ;)

304210[/snapback]

i like it, it's good quality, good for the dancefloor. but i don't see it as "best release ever". :)

my thought is you can't really be objective about the compilation. some friendships might have something to do about it.

i'll be watching your objectivity!

you have been warned.

*evil*

:rolleyes:

i would like to apologize for my previous post, i was obviously in bad mood and im sorry if anyone got offended...

i am glad to read some people do find reviews useful... i'm not talking about my own but just in general. After all the is the premise of my 'hobby' website and i alongside a small number of people have spent a lot of time on it (not mention a little money) in an effort to promote and help out this scene... with good help from a number of people here...

B)

i would like to apologize for my previous post, i was obviously in bad mood and im sorry if anyone got offended...

i am glad to read some people do find reviews useful... i'm not talking about my own but just in general. After all the is the premise of my 'hobby' website and i alongside a small number of people have spent a lot of time on it (not mention a little money) in an effort to promote and help out this scene... with good help from a number of people here...

B)

304308[/snapback]

Posted Image

Skunk, badger - call it what you like.. I'm obsessed with the little bastards today!

304353[/snapback]

Get one for the house, to have bad smell to remind you not to drug yourself so much... :P

Ooops, we are getting off topic again, we better watch out for moni... :D

to get back on topic ... an interesting thing would be to find out:

how do our reviewers get their music? cause i am sure they don't just get promotional cds, they also purchase some.

many people follow this way: download, listen, like, buy .. and in between these, they read reviews.

do our reviewers read reviews in order to make their choices?

please explain this or get thrown in the river :D

how do our reviewers get their music? cause i am sure they don't just get promotional cds, they also purchase some.

many people follow this way: download, listen, like, buy .. and in between these, they read reviews.

304769[/snapback]

i usually decide by listening to online samples on psyshop.com or chaosunlimited.co.uk. i also take a lot of recommendations from ppl on this forum. as a lot of you guys have a great taste in psy. i usually buy cd's quite often. i hardly download at all. although i find it the only way to get those unreleased dancefloor destoyers. as you cant buy them. (is that still piracy?)

304769[/snapback]

I haven't downloaded anything for more than two years... I get promos from labels obviously and listen to them... The other stuff I buy solely from recommendations in reviews and samples on Saiko/Psyshop...

I also spend a lot of money on Ebay/Qxl/etc buying old-school - and I often buy solely based on my collective gene... But of course, I often know the artists/label/style...

:)

304769[/snapback]

4 months ago i left a buddy in holland my equipment and he's paying for it in cd's since he works in a cd shop... we have similar tastes and by this point i just pretty much get recommendations from him on the mail, like once every couple of weeks... as he got too lazy to write reviews...

besides that, i for once use isra-trance promotion section for something else besides posting my crap... i.e checking out what might sound interesting... after that... i likewise find saiko samples sufficient to determine if i like it or not...

i don't buy psyshop for personal reasons but they get stuff first now and again and i do chekc this link often

i sniff my way through them now and again too :)

"best release ever"

I never said it was the best ever... I said it was the best of 05... so far... big difference :)

and no, friendship has nothing to do with it (proof being that I bought my copy fair and square, if we were such good friends, they could've at least gave me a copy for free, no?). It has more to do with the fact that we share the same tastes in music (oldschool)

304769[/snapback]

Thats all I do: download, listen, like, buy.

If there is some rare stuff that I can't find and there is a review of it. I read it ofcourse.

But then again, I'm not that big of a reviewer :P

I mostly make my purchases on the long, indepth reviews not only on this site but all over the internet as I feel I can trust them. Also, how popular the album and artist is also effects my purchases.

If an album is popular then it must be good but then it might not suit your taste. If its not well mabe not so good but i give it a chance and read the reviews if its any good.

Then I listen to samples on saikosounds. Usually the first three songs, if I have time then I listen to all. Then I buy it, if i could find it.

Hope that was useful.