Psynews Contest

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest .::E.P

So at the end nothing will happen.Noone will pay anything.And this thread will be lost forever.

Thats a positive way to think about it.

250417[/snapback]

That's entirely up to people. If they really want this to happen then go for it. Just dont expect Mars to do it all for you.

i was thinking the same thing Kristian. It could be a cool idè, and the ones that get a place on the album (double album) could be "stock-holder" .. kinda. get my point? :)

250413[/snapback]

Exactly. It's only fair I think.

Exactly.  It's only fair I think.

250420[/snapback]

I understand perfectly this concept but it implies 2 things :

- People don't usually give away money like that. It means there will be naturally less tracks submitted.

- it makes the contest selective, that is available to those who have money. ok it's not much but it's like getting in some high schools. This is not fair anymore then...

In my opinion this concept is doable but hard to do.

To Moni : yes you knew this kind of answer would appear, but that's a fact. If you give me >2000€ i will launch the contest tomorrow ! First if our compil diesnt sell fast and wel, i dont even know if we'll be financially able to release the next album in the delays we have in mind. So you see....

I suggest that we COULD open a contest in september. Before that, i cannot guarantee anything.

i said i knew that reply would come up, because i am an economist, i work in cost control and planning. that means monitorise the past and the present in order to choose the best economical future.

not for any other reasons. i was just expecting that answer.

ok?

i think you should release the winners as MP3 release hosted on the site including cover and stuff, will solve the problems

ND.

i think you should release the winners as MP3 release hosted on the site including cover  and stuff, will solve the problems

ND.

250859[/snapback]

Also a good solution :)

Hi Mars,

E.P and my idè could work out you know. You said that the budget would be around 2000 Euro's ... And if you release a double album with lets say 18-20 tracks, it would mean that each "artist" would have to spit in (let's say) 80 Euros. And thats a sum that everyone involved should be able to raise? Instead of thinking problems (wich is real indeed) we should start to think more solutions .. ;)

My god, I bet I could sell out 100 copies in Oslo alone, it just depends on the effort of everyone to promote it well on the internet, use connections ect ect.

But as mentioned, ProSect's idè aint bad at all. :)

Prosect has the best solution.

Paying for it? I'm NOT paying to let people listen to MY track. Worst idea ever.

The honor of winning(!) would be enough for me, there's no need for any releases or stuff actually.

Well personally I'm not into music making but if I was then I'd definatley NOT want to pay to have people listen to my music and I'm sure a lot of people think like that too. I mean, most artists aren't happy when people leech their stuff for free... now they'd have to PAY?

Now the most easily feasible thing to do would be simply to have a section on this site linking to tracks made available and every artist should host their stuff themselves (pretty easy if all you have is a track or 2)... there would be no contest, no CD... but also no costs and it could be setup in a few hours. After all the main idea is getting big lables interested in your work, no? What use is having some 16 year-old kid judge your tracks if he has no connections?

What use is having some 16 year-old kid judge your tracks if he has no connections?

251066[/snapback]

It's still helps you make your music better. <_<

And if you release a double album with lets say 18-20 tracks, it would mean that each "artist" would have to spit in (let's say) 80 Euros.

250933[/snapback]

Do you realise how much money is 80 euros.....? It's not bad as an idea, but the money is too much...!!

Maybe it's better the contest to start in September, or at least released in September..!!

It's still helps you make your music better.

ok I don't know much about how this stuff works in practice but I have a feeling that usually a label has a general idea of how the sound should be and sign up artists who do stuff in that manner. Now the main problem I see with a contest is simply that the persons who judge and the persons who release aren't the same... So on one hand you'll have judges who will like evaluating the tracks but won't want to get money out of their pockets to release them and people (lables) who have the money but won't want to release something they don't really like under their name... For me the easyiest solution would be simply to promote the stuff and have lables who like it release it. There will be no judges (except the lables themselves) and no usual bells and whistles attached to the whole "contest" concept... but on the other hand, instead of just going around in circles this could actually lead to something...

Actually I was being sarcastic since all here immediately just took it for granted that Mars would pay for it all. ;)

How you do it is of course up to you and if Mars think it's a good idea to pay for it all then be my guest :)

I heard many good comment here, Mars is not into the idea of paying for entering the contestat all...

It's just, without money we (I and Mars) won't release it, as it is a too big risk for Suntrip Records, but as mentioned here it seems like most people agree that an official release is NOT the main point, altough, if some real talents would be discovered here, they will have a chance with some labels I think :)

Check the first contest, and some of them released much more songs since then :)

So the contest will come one day :P

i am not sure, but i heard that Vax (they changed their name now and i don't remember it) released an album.

ATMA has an album and some releases on some compilations (ok he's my friend so i had to mention him, but maybe some heard of him).

i am curious what Amygdala has been doing lately!