Psynews Contest

Guest The Journey Man Project

What about making categories? Instead of one winner, have one from each sub-genre and their demo then sent to suitable lables? Also relasing a compilation? Should it be sold or free download? Should be done in a way that exposes all styles of this music :D

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be done in a way that exposes all styles of this music :D

340917[/snapback]

yes, yet having some common concept - not that all tracks are the samey but the composition and flow goes thru whole VA without loosing it <_< .

What about making categories? Instead of one winner, have one from each sub-genre

340917[/snapback]

- yeah, good idea!

and their demo then sent to suitable lables?

340917[/snapback]

- umm, no - anyone can send his demo on his own w/o contest, but if you mean - like someone who is somehow into contest knows someone who knows someone from label, then i say yeah, a 2nd good idea :)!

Should it be sold or free download?

340917[/snapback]

- i think if artists really care for the spirit not for the money n fame then it should be downloadeable, its even better than cd u know - that sense of freedom and puriness, with no hungry labels involved and so on... kinda :) !

• 1 month later...

well I see that no one want to get the initiative.

I work as a graphic designer so i've got connections the press.

Now my offer is as following :

I will print and pay the inlay of the cd considering that we will release a small amount of cd's, also I can print the cd's , not with a high quality print as the inlay's but still profesionall looking (1/2 color in graphics, not image).

The only thing that I want is the my name at that of my party crew appearing on the booklet.

Being in this site since the beging I know that we could release something worth.

About the genres: I think we can release a double cd. maybe with a diffrent kind of package. I don't know yet, gotta make some calculations and think about it

Tell me what you think.

Now we need a webspace wich i think it's not a problem and what's more important, we need a mastering studio.

there are many of us with initiative, but mars kinda put us on hold, reasoning that he is very busy.

many of us think that an online mp3 release is the best way to do it with no cost.

hum. just like Elixiria does. and i think Elixiria rocks for that.

so .. i don't know at what stage we are.

we have a psynews owner that is very busy. we have a moderator that is also very busy.

it's not hard to make the rules of the contest.

it's not hard to find servers to host the tracks that participate in the contest.

it's not hard to form a jury to select the winning tracks.

it's not hard to find someone to make a cover for the release.

but we need support from the people who run this website.

there are many of us with initiative, but mars kinda put us on hold, reasoning that he is very busy.

many of us think that an online mp3 release is the best way to do it with no cost.

hum. just like Elixiria does. and i think Elixiria rocks for that.

so .. i don't know at what stage we are.

we have a psynews owner that is very busy. we have a moderator that is also very busy.

it's not hard to make the rules of the contest.

it's not hard to find servers to host the tracks that participate in the contest.

it's not hard to form a jury to select the winning tracks.

it's not hard to find someone to make a cover for the release.

but we need support from the people who run this website.

367618[/snapback]

I dont agree, you will need atleast a 10-100 mbit server with unlimited bw. This is indeed VERY hard to find if you dont want to pay a lot of money for it.

i think a few people in the forum already offered their servers in the past ..

we could have 2-3 servers maybe?

so that the job wouldn't be too hard for just 1 server?

367623[/snapback]

So, lets start plannig stuff...

Who got the servers?

hmm, so you think releasing it as mp3 is better.

Your want to give it for free, or will there be a price for the comp ?

anyway in both cases I don't think that 's a good idea.

considering that they are amateur artists , the mp3 choice will push the project even more in the amateur area.

I think releasing it on cd gives a much better profesional presence to the audience,

after all everyone can release something on it's own on mp3, or even sell it,

what's the diference then.

hmm, so you think releasing it as mp3 is better.

Your want to give it for free, or will there be a price for the comp ?

anyway in both cases I don't think that 's a good idea.

367752[/snapback]

I'm sure that nobody on this forum, amateur or semi-pro, would ever dare to ask for money if he (or she) wins the contest. The only thing they want is a little bit of people's attention.

It's up to the organiser to decide if there will be a price for the comp or not as they are the one who makes it possible.

And about the amateur thing, i saw that there are professional artists that post here, Elysium, Filteria, Prosect, or Lost Buddha for exemple. Maybe one of them would accept "sponsoring" the contest in a certain way. B)

Ok, I was passing by and I see you guys should get to work instead of talking.

You will need teams and people for the following:

Promotion - extreme net nomads, people with contacts, reviewers that will review the release (they must be neutral to judging), also to be able to promote the final product on p2p and to other people,

WebSpace - finding a good host will cost money for sure, maybe a solution like the temporary upload sites could help (megaupload, rapidshare etc.) or an email account on gmail or yahoo with 1-2gb space with access to the whole contest team and for the rest of the people the participants could upload it to other popular mp3 webspaces.

Design - I think that's not that hard, it could be a little contest on that too. Or just finding person will to do it for free.

Mastering - I'm not sure who can do it, maybe Spindrift? :ph34r:

Judges - a team of people with different tastes, a natural divers, buyers and collectors, label people or artists.

Also to set the rules quick without fighting too much.

considering that they are amateur artists , the mp3 choice will push the project even more in the amateur area.

I don't think that releasing a CD that will sell hardly 150 copies, losing money and finding the same CD as mp3 on the first day will help here. MP3's and proper promotion may help them to be heard by labels and other people. The CD can be printed for those individuals who wants it (I think the winners will freely order few copies with their friends) at sites like CafePress and will cost 9$ with all the sleeve art, examples:

Audio CD: http://www.cafepress.com/cp/info/sell/products/audio

Psylosophy VA: http://www.cafepress.com/psylosophy.10297096

I dunno how I can "sponsor' it, but here I am trying to help. Maybe throwing a track into the participants poll or being part of the judges. <_<

Good luck

ND

@ ProSect: don't worry, you'll be involved for sure. pr0fane too :P

you're on my list mwahaha

i have some ideas already, and we have the previous contests as experience and examples too.

i'm gonna ask a few people to join irc or something so we can talk.

BUT

i don't wanna do anything before mars comes and gives his support.

cause it would be useless to start something and then get a door slammed in your face.

btw, Elixiria's mp3 compilation "Private Message" has been downloaded 6000 times. i'd say that's not a bad promotion.

@ ProSect: don't worry, you'll be involved for sure. pr0fane too :P

you're on my list mwahaha

i have some ideas already, and we have the previous contests as experience and examples too.

i'm gonna ask a few people to join irc or something so we can talk.

BUT

i don't wanna do anything before mars comes and gives his support.

cause it would be useless to start something and then get a door slammed in your face.

btw, Elixiria's mp3 compilation "Private Message" has been downloaded 6000 times. i'd say that's not a bad promotion.

368277[/snapback]

I'm not worried, just seems like no one started it yet :)

And if mars so busy, why to wait for him, make external page with info and stuff.

ND

I'm not worried, just seems like no one started it yet :)

And if mars so busy, why to wait for him, make external page with info and stuff.

ND

368487[/snapback]

well, he kinda owns psynews, that's why. dunno. nemo is in.

Good idea but who should pay for the release? If there's going to be a release?

I''ll do the Matsering for free if interested. Eat dust Colin :P *joke*