You say goa expresses emotions?

Telepatu

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well then you must be sorry because I don't like Muses Rapt. Power Source is unknown to me.

246047[/snapback]

HEDEN !!!!

BURN!!!!

:lol:

Yea, I see a big disconnect here, but it looks like it's been sorted out mostly.

goa, psytrance for me delivers hypnotic feelings, it's meant to dance to, to get lost in, a sort of hypnotic frenzy with odd fx and great melodies, and with it's own assortment of strange vocal samples. I feel all sorts of feelings from it, but only at the level that dance music can give you.

now you may say goa and psytrance isn't complex or filled with the full spectrum of feelings and emotions, and I definitly agree with you, but.....

it does it's job, and it does it well. There's plenty of music out there to satisfy what you want,

and in the end, you only do what makes you happy

...with odd fx and great melodies,...

246665[/snapback]

That's where I mostly diagree. I find melodies in goa often pretty flat. Of course there are some nice melodies, but they're almost always just looped short clips, so they aren't very versatile.

now you may say goa and psytrance isn't complex or filled with the full spectrum of feelings and emotions, and I definitly agree with you

246665[/snapback]

Which was the point exactly.

WTF are you talking about.

I love Goa which is my favorite music style.

I also love Warp records and i have full discography from AFX,BOC,Ae,Miracalix,LFO,Nightmares on Wax,Plaid,Richard Devine(Come to Daddy rmx  ;) ) and a lot of compilations and remixes.

So you see,things are different.

244797[/snapback]

I was going to say this. I've got loads of stuff from warp.

I can't understand this idea that people in to trance are only in to trance. This is a not the case. Most trance forums I have visited always seem to have a thread asking what other music people are in to and the response is always wide spread. Rock, Classical, Hip-hop, the list goes on. I find that goa is a real melting pot for other genres of music and grows and evolves partly from this.

We are not close-minded individuals if anything we invite as many experiences as possible in to our lives.

Yep.

Point was that even though goa can make you feel better, rise your serotonine levels or sumthing, it is not happy music, does not sound happy. So goa does not contain emotions, but more like makes you feel better, which is completely different from being happy music, which also might make you feel happy, but in different way.

Or I would prefer saying goa can make you feel good but not happy. Happiness or joy is different feeling than feeling good. And this "magic" is often pretty simple in goa, but I can't deny it does work in some cases, as in every musical style. This is what separates good music from bad music.

And you CAN rationalize this magic too, and it does not make it nonexistent, unlike most people seem to think. Althoug there is almost infinite pool of magic to dicover, it all consists of harmony and disharmony. Extremely simplified of course.

At its best there is much more magic in good classical pieces than in ten goa songs. But also when the track is carefully constructed with love you cannot really compare it with anything, because it's unique, just like people. So it's not relevant to say that there is more magic in some style than in other, you just can say thatyou have noticed that there is more good songs in some style, or less in another. Maybe this is what I'm saying. There is little good music in the genre of goa that I'm aware of.

Of course you now think that it's a matter of taste. You can say that, it might be so. But I think that you can improve your musical taste, and goa is not the ultimate music, but just music like any else style of music, and when made with talent and love it can be good, but in many cases it isn't so. I have nothing against any musical style.

245958[/snapback]

I think that's pure bullshit! So music has to have an uplifiting sound to it to make you happy! Fuck that! I listen to all kinds of Death/Black metal bands that definitely do not have an uplifting message....and you know what that music (along with goa) makes me happy. Just because it doens't do much for you doesn't mean it doesn't do anything for anybody else...So just cause goa isn' the ultimate music for you it can't be for anybody else!? That's pure ignorance.....I like classical music but for the most part i find it boring.....that doesn't mean that I'm going around telling people that their music sucks......

So in ending....think about what your saying before you start letting the pure bullshit roll out of your mouth!

If goa only gives you exactly one feeling (the euphoric xtc or acid feeling or whatever you wanna call it) then I'm very sorry about that. There are tracks that give me very different feelings. I'll list some of them to prove what I mean. But if the music doesn't mean the same to you, then this is not really the music's fault. Every person is different, if you can't see in it what other see, then maybe it doesn't serve the same purpose for you as it does for others.

Most tracks sure give a joyfull and uplifting feeling but here are some that give me more. Here are some different emotions that I get from tracks:

Jaja - Mai Mai: Has a very melancholic touch that brings tear in my eyes when I'm in the right mood. Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice song but as I said it sounds melancholic or even sad to me.

Yahel - Waves Of Sound: That's not old-school goa but I hope it's ok for you if I also list newer psy tracks. It gives me a strong feeling of love.

Psysex - The Evil Turkes: Has a very pushy feeling to me, especially because of the samples. Agressive isn't the right word for it because no music that I like makes me agressive. But it's a feeling of power and strenght that is still less strong than beeing agressive. Another song that gives me that feeling is Hallucinogen - Juggle Of The Sphinx.

Besides the usual hapiness this are three feelings. Is this enough for you?

243722[/snapback]

How did I totally miss this post? I remember feeling the same with Jaïa - Mai Mai when I first discovered it. I must listen to it again. Thanks for reminding me, lets see what I can get from it today.

well it all depents on what "Goa-music" really is. for me it's just the uplifting party full on music that was made 10 years ago and the music that followed the same spirit up until now...and i can agree to this, it does just project one kind of feeling, the uplifting feeling of party! If you listen to say example rock and you have a party, i dont think you would be playing some sad hartbreaking shit would you? no you would play that "party" music! now withing trance music there are severel different kinds of music, delivering different moods and soundscape. And i believe some tracks of delta, spirallianz, fuzzion, midi miliz, x-dream etc makes me in a complete different mode and personally i believe its some of the emotionally strongest piece of art made. Now ofcourse not anyone likes this kind of dark minimal music and just see it as flat monotonious "music" - then you probably dont understand minimal art as well, its about stripping down so that your mind has to fill in the rest and where every single detail is much more important then the overall "siluhette" of the music. But most important of all, its about harmony and balance between forces. negative and posetive, dark and light etc - it is the same harmony that is praised by buddhism, feng shui, ying/yang etc.

for me it is the most emotionall piece of art ever made....

you know, compared to other dance music in electronica, this style has some of the most emotional songs in it...

I'd say trance music in genral is all about that...

but, it's hard to formulate an opnion when my opnion constantly changes with whatever I'm listening to or looking at at the moment.

Haha, the music makes you "uplifted" and "euphoric", but you still say it gives you no feelings? Isn't HAPPINESS a feeling? Anyway, not everyone gets the same effect from the same music. That's why people have different tastes in music,

There are feelings besides sadness and anger, at least for me. You must live a terrible life if those are your only feelings.

P.S. I wasn't even going to respond to this thread because it's so ridiculous, but i'm bored.

Dunno about emotions .. hard to say perhaps .. maybe some of the goa tracks bring emotions to me . Hmmmmm, definitely there are examples for me : Astral Projection - Maian Dream and Astral Projection - We`re controlling transmission - they make me feel nostalgic and sad, that`s for sure. What is even more sure, Goa tracks are really food for your imagination if you can think of some landscapes or figures or processes when listening to them :) That`s my point