Your best ambient moments and why.....

Ormion

I don't believe there is a difference between Magic Mushroom Band and just Mushroom Band. The two tracks you mentioned are from the album 'Mushroom Band - Magic', but they might as well left the word 'Magic' out of the band name intentionally for the album cover, to "reserve" it for the title. It's a bit confusing, really.

A very nice example of their "ambient trance" style, I love this one too :)

I wouldn't call it ambient, but yeah, it's a lovely track, with that female voice and that optimistic and uplifting bassline.

And now for my own favourite ambient moments....

UHFF! That would be a huge list, as I have a LOT of favourite ambient tracks. I guess I wouldn't even be able to choose a top 100 of them. It would be even more difficult to determine which tracks are ambient at all, as I have absolutely no idea where exactly to draw the line between ambient and trance/techno or ambient dub or IDM. So I'm gonna post just SOME of my faves, and that list will in no way be representative of my complete list of favourite artists or tracks (e.g. the list of Ozric Tentacles ambient tracks would be soo damn long, and I left them out). Here we go, no order of course (sorry, too lazy to point out the best "moments", in most cases it's all about the feel of the entire track anyway):

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92: A milestone in electronic music history, one of the very very best, there's nothing like it. Favourite tracks are Tha and Heliosphan. An album I could listen to every day (if I had an hour for free :) ). Selected Ambient Works 2, which is quite different, is the result of Richards attempts to record the music he heard in his (lucid) dreams. 2 discs to explore the deepest corners of your (sub-) consciousness. It's that sometimes eerie feeling you have when waking up from a dream, converted into sound.

Astralasia - Strange Celestial Dream: Easily their best ambient track. The title sums it up quite well. The "strange" thing is how brass and other rather organic sounds are juxtaposed to the intense space ambience. Truly a mind-altering experience.

The Orb - Huge Ever Growing.....: No words. Or better yet: my review here ;)

Qubism - Anthropomorphic: Simply awesome! Epic ambient at its very best, with an ethnic flavor, easily one of my top 10 ambient tracks, catchy melodies that shout "This is a classic!" at you once they enter your ears. Very well done, just pure em:t quality.

Gas - Microscopic: Mystic, melodic, futuristic, eerie, tripped-out sci-fi ambience. The whole album is a masterpiece, and Microscopic seems to be my favourite ten minutes on it.

Global Communication - 76 14: Another stunning ambient/chillout album, best moments are (amongst others):

14 31: Almost the same as what I said about the Qubism track, still different, but it does come close in its epicness and catchiness.

12 18: This is what I want to hear when entering heaven (or whatever will happen) after dying. If there's one track that almost managed to make me cry, it's definitely this one.

Kraftwerk - Autobahn: brrrmmm brrrmmm tch tch umm umm tch tch umm umm tch tch  B)

DLS - Holo-Movement (review here), their other album AnNur AlHaqq is also excellent.

Hoedh - Hymnus (Neuroprogrammierung): This track gives you a warm and secure inside feeling, a meditative piece that puts you into a dream state.

Hostia - Absoluthum 02: Dark, apocalyptic ambience with a psy edge, alien ritual music, Whoa!

Psychick Warriors Ov Gaia - Obsidian (Deconstructure): A journey deep within the world of the mind; inner and outer distances; the vastness of the universe <-> the centre of the earth/gaia; water as the essence of life; the shimmering beauty of the underworld.

233715[/snapback]

Nice to see that there is another guy here that knows their music. Actually I don't have their album, I have listened some Magic Mushroom Band tracksand they're all Psy Rock with a little ambient. So, I guess that the Mushroom Band project is different from the Magic one :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MATENDA - SMIRI SE

Nothing comes close to that!

This is just ... my frequency!

Other ones are:

Carbon Based Lifeforms - Central Plains + Tensor

Eat Static - Abduction

Matenda - No Return

Shpongle - Around The World In A Tea Daze (Ott Remix)

Bluetech - Prophetic Sines

Saafi Bros. - Wellness Farm

Björn Lynne - Messages

The only psy-ambient track worthy enough to make it to my list is Shpongle - And the day... most notably the build up with flute playing - before the heavy rhythm part - and the climax at the end.

Tangerine Dream - Rubycon Part 1:

The sequencer part from 8th minute on or so. It doesn't get any better.

I'll get back on this later.

234831[/snapback]

Brian Eno - Dunwich Beach, Autumn, 1960: All time favorite track. Desolation captured in audio.

Pete Namlook & Bill Laswell - The Fate Of Energy: Cool darkness.

Steve Roach - Infinite Shore: As part of the *Magnificent* Void (all time favorite ambient album). So deep.

Jeff Greinke - Last Wave: Pure beauty!!

Steve Roach & Vir Unis - Sense: Really special pad/texture melodies combined with pulsating sounds. Amazing.

Steve Roach & Vir Unis - Evolution: Entire track til it starts fading out. One of the coolest electronic rhythms ever.

Vir Unis & Saul stokes - Blurring Maguro: The build up and when the rhythm kicks in. What a track.

Robert Rich & Lustmord - Hidden Refuge. The first 3 minutes, especially the big bass at 2:00 followed by the terror piano.

Pete Namlook - Je suis triste et seul ici: Subtle

The Orb - Plateau: Just instant atmosphere

And more. See also other threads ;)

What i really love from Pink Floyd is High Hopes.What a track and what a videoclip...classic!!

233369[/snapback]

High Hopes is the best Pink Floyd song IMO0! So beautiful it makes you cry... Haven't seen the video though.

Process - Under Mount Kailash might be the best ambient track for me. Haven't heard much ambient before I heard that and I was blown away... Incredible melody! Also Klaus Sculze - Crystal Lake makes the little hairn on my arms become punkies!

firt the ultimate best: and the day turned to night! nothing can top this! also the vocals in shpongle spores, the intro to vapor rumours and the bouncy solo in dmt are fav moments in that album.

i really love the first few minutes of ozric tentacles "oakum" you all gotta hear this!when that guitar slide delayed comes after lots of bubbles... wee!!!

the intro to juno reactors magnetic... this is the best moment ive ever heard for dark creepy ambient

from prog rockers dream theater comes something thats close enough to ambient: "osmosis" on the liquid tension experiment album. this absolutely rules, its got mellow percussion melodies, and atmospheric ebowed guitars. btw, the artwork for this album is my favorite psychadelic cover ever and i also highly reccomend this wild trippy instrumental ultra beautiful album to everyone, its like nothing else!

mystery of the yeti part 1 the call/the journey. yeah, this is the most ambient you can ever get, but its absolutely essential to the album. both MOTY's wouldnt be a journey without this to start it all!

MOTY pt2 freefalling upwards. woah! this one is kinda freaky for me, its intensely alienish, also equally like high on mount kailesh with its endless spacey vibes.

and of course all the atmospheric pink floyd moments!

mr bungle "the bends" by FAR the most freaking insane mind f'ing weirdo ambient ever! not psychadelic ambient tho, more like schizophrenic neurotic looney ambient!

tiamat: "atlantis as a lover", and "four leary biscuits". or most from the album "a deeper kind of slumber". this whole album is super mellow rock and ambient, probly the closest thing to pink floyd, especially division bell style, maybe a lil dreamier...

My turn!

Air - La Femme D'Argent

I really dig this tune, however, its kinda simple, not to forget commercial. And that's the real danger. But looking at the tune in itself, it's a jewel of the pop-scene.

Asura - Simply Blue

The first track I ever heard from Asura, and I have always liked this track ever since.

And what an evil sound the synth makes from 8:00 and to the end!

Celtic Cross - Mundis Imaginalus

My fav. CelticCross tune, especially the end from 6:20.

Entheogenic - Twilight Eyes

A real emotional ambient tune from the great Entheogenic..

Quite nice sounds and tempo.

Hallucinogen - E

Piano and cello. And simon's synth. 3x combo, my friends.

OTT - "LSD in Dub

A beautiful, certantly more relaxing version of LSD.

5:30 - 7:00 is great.

Infected Mushies - Dancing with Kadafi

Different moods, different sounds, differents rythms and tempo's. A masterpiece.

Jaïa - After the Rain

The first Jaïa tune I ever heard, and i fell in love with it. I could really wish he had released several ambient tunes like this one, and like:

Jaïa - L'ivresse des profondeurs

Which is also a great ambient tune.. Actually my favourite one from Jaïa.

Myth - Into Morocco

A superb amient tune, and my favourite ambient tune..

I've always found this one simply amazing.

Myth - Rain Song

Also a great tune from Myth, and it's quite magical aswell.

Shpongle - Shpongle Spores, Around The World In A Tea Daze and The 7th Revelation

All great ambient tunes from our beloved Shpongle. Well, there are more, but no need to comment them all. :P

Shulman - A Magnificent

My fav. shulman track. Really magical.

The Mystery of the Yeti part 1+2

• 2 weeks later...

Abakus - a whole new way of looking at the day

Kaya Project - Only The Brave

Like the guitar part.

Massive Attack - Teardrop

Not really ambient but this song is so good that it gotta be in the list

Hallucinogen in dub - mi-loony-um at 6:58 aprox when the female vocal starts .. its just amazing with PERFECT bass

241622[/snapback]

I forgot about that one, very mistique psy ambient, no dub at all :rolleyes: but still very good...