Nocturnal Wanderlust

Basilisk

Basilisk - Nocturnal Wanderlust - 2005

This mix is a carefully orchestrated journey through the deeper realms of psychedelic trance, showcasing a smooth and sublime progressive style. Conceptually, the story line unfolds as a descent into the inner world of dreams, reaching a hypnotic state of trance near the heart of the mix with Noma's tranquil Avoid the Future, and gradually rising through tribal-organic sound textures to awaken on the other side of night with Etnoscope's Sunrise. A pair of chilled gems provide a lead-in and come-down for the voyage.

The mixing is intentionally subtle, with a focus on flowing transitions that do not interfere with the message of the music. Some basic effects are used in key sequences to round the edges off the sound. Equipment used: a pair of Pioneer CDJ-100s and a Technics 1200.

Bio

I play a very wide variety of psychedelic trance: deep progressive psytrance, tasteful full-on, dark psychedelic, old school Goa, suomi-style, psychedelic chill-out, jazz/funk/psychedelic hybrids, tribal sounds, and plenty more. My main passion is in building journeys through trance music using solid psychedelic material programmed to flow between styles and moods. On the technical side I usually take a kind of zen approach to mixing, preferring to let the music speak with minimal interference, and aim for smooth and lengthly transitions between tracks. I've had plenty of experience - played over 60 parties around Southern Ontario, including several big festivals (OM '02/'04, WEMF '03, and Teknival), and can be heard playing out at Darkrave, the local psytrance events, underground freetekno jams, and other assorted parties. My mission as a DJ outside of the gatherings is to seek out unique new sounds, dedicate my time to specialized mixes, and generally apply an artistic approach to the exploration of psychedelic trance. Contact me at basilisk[at]ektoplazm{dot}com for booking or feedback.

Tracklist

01 :: Lunaspice - Dreaming or Awake [sub.machine]

02 :: FREq - Dreaming [Ov Silence]

03 :: Shaman - Random Shape [Plusquam]

04 :: Neelix - Intact [sinn-tec]

05 :: Phony Orphants - Petanque [sub.machine]

06 :: 12 Moons - The Collective [Candyflip]

07 :: Matenda - Dream Cruiser [Flow]

08 :: Noma - Avoid the Future [spiral Trax]

09 :: Prisoners of the Sun - Polish Lips [Tribal Vision]

10 :: Vibrasphere - Infusion [Digital Structures]

11 :: Segment - We Sold Our Souls (Ololiuqui Remix) [Z.M.A.]

12 :: Son Kite - Sunset Street [Digital Structures]

13 :: BLT - Graceful Dead [Tokyo Dance]

14 :: M-Sphere - Roots [Midijum]

15 :: Etnoscope - Sunrise [Digital Structures]

16 :: Entheogenic - Habitual Overtones [Chill Out Right Now]

File Size: 187 megabytes / Quality: 256k / Duration: 100 minutes

Download

.torrent (click here to get torrent software)

free download mix super... what's the bitrate ??? 192 I hope :unsure:

Let me know cause I don't listen to psy trance mp3 that's not minimum 192 sorry...

all the magic and power is gone with 128 imho...

let me know please ;)

Guest antic

free download mix super... what's the bitrate ??? 192 I hope  :unsure:

Let me know cause I don't listen to psy trance mp3 that's not minimum 192 sorry...

all the magic and power is gone with 128 imho...

let me know please  ;)

229501[/snapback]

People! Please at least try to _read_ the threads you're answering to! First the one with "unworking" download then this one about bitrate :angry:

File Size: 187 megabytes / Quality: 256k / Duration: 100 minutes

oooooops sorry mom I won't do it again... :rolleyes: ... smoke a joint dude...

I know you're right but I don't read everyt thread every letter... I see a mix for download look at thet tracklist, interested and ask for bitrate that's all...

chill out... I don't want you to be friendly but don't act like this :P

Guest antic

chill out... I don't want you to be friendly but don't act like this  :P

229510[/snapback]

why don't you want me to be friendly? are you having some perversive pleasure talking with people that don't like you?! ;):D

naahh, just kidding and sorry - all this anger was unnecessary :)

• 2 weeks later...

Great mix!

The track selection is close to perfect. I don't like the ambient intro and outro, something a bit darker, maybe some breaks, would have worked better with the overall atmosphere. Besides that, you've done a great job. This is just the kind of progressive psy-trance I like; deep, melodic, bass driven and very atmospheric.

The transition between tracks is very subtle and there's a great flow.

Looking forward to more mixes!

Thanks for sharing, Ale, really great input, I'll make sure to note your preference.

There it is: Ale prefers goa trance over progressive psy-trance.

237191[/snapback]

Sorry but i think everyone has the right to express his opinion in a public forum such as psynews.org,it doesnt matter if its positive or negative.And yes i agree with with.Afterall,General subforum description says "General discussions about Psytrance".I dont see any psytrance in this mix.Peace

Sorry but i think everyone has the right to express his opinion in a public forum such as psynews.org,it doesnt matter if its positive or negative.And yes i agree with with.Afterall,General subforum description says "General discussions about Psytrance".

237206[/snapback]

Of course everyone has the right to express their opinion, but when the mix is a progressive psy-trance mix then what's the point in saying you prefer goa trance? If the style is not your cup of tea you can still comment on the track selection, flow, atmosphere etc.

I dont see any psytrance in this mix.Peace

If you listen to the mix instead of looking at it :) I'm sure you will detect a deep psychedelic atmoshpere trough out it.

Thanks Trolsk... I'm also not 100% on the chilled intro and outro but it seemed like the right thing to do at the time :)

Not psytrance? Depends where you drop the axe I suppose... I would be glad to see this mix generate some debate on that subject, but do give it a listen first...

So I gave it a listen 11am here.

The mix floads very nicely.

It gets better and better, the begining maybe a bit too long, but as I said its 11am I probably feel different about it this evening.

Don't say - I am also not 100% with the chill intro and outro -

I am getting confused why did you do it this way if you don't feel it?

Is it just because somebody told you they don't like it, now you also think you don't like it?

One tip: Stand 100% behind your work!

I like both the intro ( maybe a bit too long) and specialy the outro. Its a perfect ending with a great track.

:)

I say I'm not 100% because that is genuine... my outlook changes like anyone else's... the creative process to develop a mix like this is very involved (this was months of effort for example). One can get very lost inside the creation, and only regain the ability for reflection after a release from the rigourous process that results in the finished product. Second thoughts are only natural, as I take this craft quite seriously :) is that less confusing? I'm happy with the mix anyway - I've finally got one I won't have any issue with playing decades from now to remember one facet of the sound I was into back in 2005... :)