1. CELEBRATE

2. EL ALMO ESCONDIDO

3. ADAM'S LOVE

4. THE FLY OF THE PHOENIX OVER NATARAJ

5. QUESTION WITHOUT ANSWER

6. SWEET PLANET

7. BES DANCE

8. HUMAN ODDITY

Here is the second, long awaited album by spanish maestro Juan Verdera. While his first album was melodic and sophisticated and by any means innovative, this album goes more into club and enhanced by very strong and loud kick and bass lines tends to loose somewhere. I wouldn't mind this album if there wasn't those strong kick lines that dominated through every single track. There are still his melodies and sounds but kick just get too much in your face where you actually loose interest for the rest of the track, until new, fresh melody comes in and you are tricked again. First track CELEBRATE is not bad but has nothing to do with his old style. And as everyone say here, it is cheesy, my leats favourite from the album but still not obnoxious as everyone says. Next track sounds more intersting but with such dominated kick that you barely hear melodies. Then comes first very good track on the album ADAM'S LOVE. There are very smooth, gentle liquid melodies but then again too fast kick. What happened to him with this overused kicks, it sounds like he wanted to do full on alike album without being full on at all, strange...Then comes THE BEST one on album, FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX OVER NATARAJ...It has perfect morphing melodies and it is the only one that completely reminds on old Muses Rapt, simple melodic perfection, the album is worth for this track only. QUESTION WITHOUT ANSWER is pretty good too, sliding perfectly after previous one. SWEET PLANET is as the title suggest, sweet, but only that. Again in your face kick and you slowly start to loose interest. BES DANCE is nice, has also few gentle melodies and is distinctive and has pretty lyrical structure. HUMAN ODDITY goes slightly into full on but it is also nice song. All in all, very decent album but no remotely comparable with his first. Has 3 really good songs and the rest pretty good but nothing extraordinary. So, Juan, don't get too carried away with your next album...7/10

Well I've listened to it twice now and got two different feelings...

I agree perfectly with your review seraph... To review this album like it was his first album I would just write what you have written...

But to write a review as a full lover of his first album 'spiritual healing' comparing it with 'YOU'... this description stays the same like I wrote before

in the other muses rapt topic in general...

Damn why does this album sucks???  <_< ... Dissapointment at 100%... maybe I expected to much...

I would give it 6/10 and that's 5/10 because it's not fullon & 1/10 cause I was that smart to download it first before buying it (what my intention was )...

You can recognize the muses rapt style a lot... typical sounds... but this is not melodic at all... the bass line is direction progressive and reminds me a lot of 'shiva chandra'...

The first tracks is very cheezy... And this is the first time I used the word cheezy in a post reply... cause I never do... so tell me  :rolleyes: ...

Almost every track is the same except for the last one... Just sensitive emotional psychedelic sounds popping up & down... No layers at all... There is not one climax or long melody in the tracks... The tracks don't get better to the end they just stay the same I really don't get it...  :unsure:

Expect the last track is one big climax & melody like 'spiritual healing' but this track isn't goa... it's trance... it's fucking dj tiesto... there is nothing psychedelic about this tracks only maybe in the background at the end a 10 sec wave... If you listen very carefully...

I have been wating so long for this non fullon release but this smashes me in the face... I loved his first album and I'm into old skool big time so this one should be my revelation...

well so far for my (first) negatieve review ever... And hopefully my last  :( ...

220509[/snapback]

I hope for other people not to feel the way I do cause I totally not bash to muses rapt... I was maybe a little bit angry when I wrote it cause sometimes I overact reading it again after a period of time... but still....

I love muses rapt :wub: ...

peace ;)

When I popped this the first time in my CD player, the first track Celebrate came and I was in heaven!! This might sound odd but I had the mental image of the nazi dude who was staring over the opened arch in Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Arch saying "IT'S BEAUTIFUL!!!!". No really, I actually had tears in my eyes when I heard those soul-touching melodies. But I should warn you that it might be considered by some (most?) to be incredibly cheezy. Actually some parts reminded me the instrumental part of Britney Spears - Lucky ... hmmm I suppose that's not a good reference but the track is one of the most beautiful psy trance I've listened to in years and years! Trust me :)

El Ama Escondida is kindof a letdown afterwards, it's nice but nothing special IMO. But I'm sure that people who are allergic to cheese will appreciate this one more...

Then comes Adam's Love . Ah, that's more like it. Balearic trance all the way, this one reminded me somewhat of some nice Balearic trance classics like Chicane - Saltwater and Nalin & Kane - Beachball . Ah yes, there was a time when "normal trance" was deep too :) So no, this isn't really psytrance but if you loved the tracks I mentioned, you'll probably love this too.

The Fly of the Phoenix over nataraj seems to be the prefered one of most people. I like it too, but don't find it the best on the album. Anyway, this one sounds less "cheesy", I guess that's why a lot of people like it. But what's the Muses Rapt without catchy melodies? :)

Question without an answer is VERY typical of Muses Rapt style. It's like Juan took elements from the downtempo tracks from the Spiritual Healing album and put them in an uptempo track. This is my second favorite after Celebrate . Kindof reminds me of Corazon De Fuego which was my favorite track on his first album. Needless to say that this has a more darker feeling to it.

Sweet Planet reminds me of... California Sunshine !! If I heard this track without knowing who made it, I would've sworn it was some unreleased CS... the melodies and dynamics of the track is identical to their style. Maybe Har-Ell co-produced the track? That would explain a lot. Anyway, BIG thumbs up for this track! Made me realize that the new CS album is long overdue...

Bes Dance is kindof Celebrate Pt. II . The same "glorious" atmosphere returns only this time around I like it less... but I still like it ;)

Human Oddity is the one that sounds most like the downtempo tracks on Spiritual Healing. Again, I have the impression that Juan took elements from his old album and put them in an uptempo track. It starts a little slow but then some guitars kick in and give me the mental image of being aspired in a swirl of energy taking me higher and higher until boom... it's over... Damn :( It really leaves you wishing for more.

Conclusion VERY nice, dreamy trance. Some might argue that this has more in common with Balearic trance than with psytrance but I don't care... good music is good music, whatever the style. You will recognize Juan Verdera's typical elements although this time around there are absolutley no downtempo tracks! But remember that Spiritual Healing was alegedly composed by Juan when he had cancer and you could feel that dark, hopeless atmosphere in the tracks. Well, now he's well and kicking and I guess it shows in his music as well... why shouldn't it? I think that's what put most of the fans of his first album off this one.

Anyway, I shall conclude this review with a phrase I made up especially for this album: 99% of psytrance is made for the dancefloor... this is made for the SOUL!!!

The only thing that casts some doubts on the quality of this album is the time test: will those melodies just dig in deeper and deeper in your skin or will they just become boring and silly after a few months? Well, only time will tell... for now it's 9/10 from me :)

THE MUSES RAPT - YOU

I really enjoyed 1998's rare self-titled track The Muses Rapt - Spiritual Healing. I mean, this had some of the best sensitive sounding tunes I've ever heard, especially in this genra of trance or melodic psytrance or whatever you call it. Some called it fluffy or cheesy but for me much of it was more uplifting, happy, peaceful, and sensitive sounding. Its not something I'd run out and show to many friends because I don't think people in groups would generally appreciate it. Lets face it, this is more personal, from the inside not from the outside-type music, than it is something to show people in groups, they almost always lose part of "self" and don't look at the deeper meaning of something because the last thing they're usually thinking of is having a personal experience with a song, when they're around a bunch of their friends! So like the first album, I listened to this by myself, without any outside distractions.

Anyway, I look at something for what it is and compare it to others in its genra or class. Cheesy or sensitive or both ... the first album was great for what it was. It had many really good or great songs and the entire album was well done, no bad tracks I don't think! This follow-up I strongly feel, is unquestionably not better than the first, nor even close! However, it isn't bad if you enjoy this sensitive style, sensitive melodies, or even the first album. Overall, the tracks and melodies on this long released follow-up just doesn't have that strong sensitive feeling to the degree of the first. There are still some good songs if you can tolerate the boom, boom, BOOM, ahhhhhhhhhh!!!

Why was this finalized and released like this? The loud, and for me *TOO LOUD* thus potentially making it very annoying KICKDRUM, makes it very difficult for me to enjoy the lucious, nice melodies to the degree I think I'd enjoy them had the kickdrum been less heavy as it was on Spiritual Healing, as there are many of them. I mentioned this before; the kickdrum is much louder; more obvious than it was on the first Muses Rapt album, and I feel this is very unnecessary because this style is more for listening too, rather than something I can imagine being played in any club; such as dancing while listening too!

Its kickdrum is so turned up that I have to write two paragraphs! Its kickdrum is so annoying and with such great emphasis that I try to TUNE the car, discman, sterio options to lesson the loud thudding, so I can better hear those melodies louder without my ears getting hit like I'm in a night club. But by taking away bass I take away the emphasis on the nice melodies too. Its very frusterating. You'd think the purpose of this album was intended for the club, but with melodies this sensitive, gental and pleasent are rarely ever spun in clubs to my knowledge. So yes, my biggest gripe, complaint, whatever you want to call it ... is the overly louder than ever before kickdrum. I think some others will have this same problem and question the point like I do, but like everything, its all a matter of preference. You may have NO PROBLEM with this. Thats you, and I wouldn't complain about something usually so minimal, if I really didn't feel it wasn't such an issue for some people.

Anyway, other than the KICKDRUM, which literally contributed to making me shut off the album more than once on the first day getting it ... the kickdrum that over-powers every; any of the beautiful melodies ... if you enjoyed Spiritual Healing, there is a decent chance that you'll enjoy this too. Just don't expect it to be better than the debut and you may enjoy it. Its a nice follow-up, (decent or fairly good I'd say) especially if you like sensitive melodies. Overall I was expecting more and I hope this album better grows on me, but for now I feel more disappointed than not, simply because I have the first one to compare it to. After 6 or 7 years, standards change, and maybe if this was released several years before the debut it would have been great, but it wasn't. It sounds as nice and as "same" as the sound we heard 6 years ago, but overall not as sensitive, engaging, complex, beautiful, impressive, unique, innovative, (actually there is no innovation) etc...

Best or most distinct tracks (my favorite in bold) I like are 1, 3, 4, 5, and 7.

The first song sounds so much like some classic Nintendo tune when that melody comes in at 1:50, you know?!?! And I still totally like the song, but at one point I felt sick at how nice it sounded. I suppose this is what some of you mean when you say, "so cheesy I almost vomited." heh :D

Overall Score:

Muses Rapt - You ... C+

I felt Spiritual Healing truly deserved a B or B+

The loud, and for me *TOO LOUD* thus potentially making it very annoying KICKDRUM

well if it's THAT loud to your ears, you can always turn down the bass on your EQ settings you know... personally I have a big subwoofer and I didn't find the kick to be particularly intrusive... but then again the main thing I've always regretted about oldschool was that it didn't have a strong enough bassline so :)

Just don't expect it to be better than the debutand you may enjoy it. Its a nice follow-up, (decent or fairly good I'd say) especially if you like sensitive melodies. Overall I was expecting more and I hope this album better grows on me, but for now I feel more disappointed than not, simply because I have the first one to compare it to. After 6 or 7 years, standards change, and maybe if this was released several years before the debut it would have been great, but it wasn't. It sounds as nice and as "same" as the sound we heard 6 years ago, but overall not as sensitive, engaging, complex, beautiful, impressive, unique, innovative, (actually there is no innovation) etc...

223536[/snapback]

SO TRUE...

arent there any programs in wich you can alter kicks and baslines?

easelly??

so we can make this a conferteble cd to listen to.

and molest full on albums and destrouy the bassline so we can enjoy e little bit of the melodies?????

i'm listening to it right now.

I LOVE THIS SHIT

seems like goa is evolving especially for me.

this album in particular.

all you PUSSY'S who are crying about a too hard kick.

Its amazing. like flowing throug space and hearing your heartbeat pump.

very emo

very beautifull...

225538[/snapback]

nobody's crying about a too hard kick... it's just not what we expected of muses rapt that's all :rolleyes:

I LOVE THIS SHIT

very emo

very beautifull...

225538[/snapback]

Watch your mouth little boy...

no i just dindnt hear the album yet ...

and it just thought about asking for such a program...

to alter the PUSSY full on :P

and why isnt it being sold @ psyshop??

no i just dindnt hear the album yet ...

and it just thought about asking for such a program...

to alter the PUSSY full on  :P

and why isnt it being sold @ psyshop??

225744[/snapback]

indeed you are a schizophreniac...

you had just said:

I LOVE THIS SHIT

very emo

very beautifull...

WTF?

:unsure:

its a joke people...

ok from now on i'll be deadserious.

just saying.

i love this album very very much.

This has got to be the cheesiest crap ever! Spiritual Healing was tolerable, but this is beyond acceptable. The production is so amateurish and plain bad it's unbelievable. He's actually using lame synthesized acustic instruments, just listen to the piano on the intro of "El Alma Escondida". This album should never have been released. There are indeed some good melodic elements and atmospheres, but the overall chessy vibe and poorly balanced kick and basslines make this album unlistenable. If an experienced producer was allowed to work with Muses Rapt there might be a handful of really good tunes, but as it is now it's just bad, very very bad.

I am listening to it, it definitely sounds morning and easy listening to, 1st track is funny, but there is definitely a problem with the kicklines which are too loud as a lot of people said above...i don't mind listening to this kind of cheesy melodic trance, it's different and pleasant to my ears :) it's like there is a lot of love, of happiness in the tracks; it's much much more pleasant than full on psytrance. I kinda like it.

PS : yes the production could be much better.

I'm having problem's with ordering this album . . .

seems to be sold out???

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having problem's with ordering this album . . .

seems to be sold out???

232390[/snapback]

haha sold out?

I cant stand this album. Im heartbroken. I love the first album. What the hell happen with this one?

What is that continous beat throught the whole album? qutie dissapointed

• 1 month later...

I am curious about this album, since curazon de fuego (from his older album) is one of the most amazing emotional intensive songs i have heard.

I wrote to him and got a reply since i wanted an explanation about it:

"Hi

I am Juan Verdera. Thank you for your appreciation.

I am only a channel for god. He/she give me sometimes the chance to be in a place where you can listen the best music but i can only down to hearth little parts and this is what i put in my tracks.

thank you for exist my friend"

:D

Curazon de fuego is nuts. I hope the next to me is the same caliber :ph34r:

ps. so what you guys think of Curazon de fuego if that can be compared to this new album?

Corazon de Fuego is amazing but on new album you are not going to hear any ambient not to mention the tracks in the same vein and quality...unfortunately...:(

Corazon de Fuego is amazing but on new album you are not going to hear any ambient not to mention the tracks in the same vein and quality...unfortunately...:(

266647[/snapback]

Thanks man.

I am getting abit worried about these "times" we are in right now.

A couple of years ago things went so soulless in music. What energy have we lost?

My biggest disappointment has been innovation. It seems like there has been NONE in these last years. Talking big factors. No pure energy :(

Yeah, well, I thought after reading that Juan is coming back that he will make another PERSONAL album and not get 'under' the influence. Shame he did got under the influence...he didn't do anything new or ground breaking but he also adopted the album for modern audience...Shame...really...still, it is not a bad album, it is just not THE album, instant classic, cult album, just another average one... <_<

It is a real pity yes.

His older stuff to me seemed some of the most "real" good stuff out there.

Bad how much that comes out now is "average', from the people you would expect leaps from.

Ill still be playing the old beats till the next proper stuff comes so its chill :)