V/A - Intelligent Manipulation

GeoAcid

Intelligent Manipulation - Compiled by Sensient

(Zenon Records)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The third release of Australian label Zenon Records, 'Intelligent Manipulation' continues on Zenon's mission to expose the psytrance world to a range of fresh and interesting music...Enjoy!(Zenon Records-ZENCD003)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sensient Man from Australia selected the tracks for this compilation

and you can hear this in every track. I don't know if he really did some concrete manipultion

on the tracks, but they all sound really great and keep a red line. When you like Sensients music you'll like this!

Intelligent Manipulation - Compiled by Sensient

(Zenon Records)

Track 1: Minimal Criminal Vs. Krumelur - Reefer And Barbecue

Track 2: Cujorious One - 95,5 Radio Joint

Track 3: Sensient - Morehdel

Track 4: Praecox - Psycho Doleza

Track 5: Krumelur - Destroy All Monsters

Track 6: Moses - Moonpie

Track 7: Sun Control Species - Nameless Blameless

Track 8: Shadow FX - Dr Elephant

Track 9: Tetrameth - The Quickening

The review:

Track 1: Minimal Criminal Vs. Krumelur - Reefer And Barbecue

This track has an anti- marijuana- smoking message, which must be a joke!?

Actually the track starts with a stoned, funky trumpet sample, followed by groovy, looong

jumping bassline and good rythmic percussion work. I really like this track.

It is groovy funky, dark and dynamic at the same time.

Track 2: Cujorious One - 95,5 Radio Joint

...nice dark track with basslines which are pumping on and on.

Especially I like this tick- tick- tick sample in the last third of the track.

Track 3: Sensient - Morehdel

What to say, Sensient takes us again on a trip to Neverland.

The track starts slowly to raise excitement to a high pitch and than the pumping bassline sets in. This makes me really thrilling! Listen to this kid's voice who tells you "that you're gonna die out there" Typically Sensient, he builds up his tracks very dynamic and keeps excitement until the end. Thank you Sensient- best movie I saw in the last time!

- I'm really a fan of this Sensient guy from Down Under.

Track 4: Praecox - Psycho Doleza

...it stays really dark and pumping, but this one is maybe too minimal and not

so inteligent.

Track 5: Krumelur - Destroy All Monsters

Oh yes, I like this one. This track teaches us, that: "All of the earths monsters have been collected and they all live together in a land called MonsterLand!"

Nice playalikes with this one synthesizer, which sounds like a machine is speaking to you. Superb work with samples and effects in here. There is a good break in the middle, where the track changes the atmosphere and gets more dynamic. Altogether a funky track with funny vocal samples, good effects and intelligent construction. High-Bill Godzilla movie.

Track 6: Moses - Moonpie

This one starts like a morning track, gets a little darker than but for sure would work in the sun, too. I like this ti -di -di, tü -dü -dü melodie in the middle which appears in fragments in the whole track. Good drive in the and of the track. Nice, nice, nice! Iboga like.

Track 7: Sun Control Species - Nameless Blameless

Yes, the sun stays up and keeps control. I just want to go dancing when I listen to this! Really great!

Track 8: Shadow FX - Dr Elephant

Oh, it gets darker again, with phat, groovy- jumping basslines and a dynamic build up of the track(like in every track of this compilation). I keep dancing Some samples are Sensient like, but the music is not as dark as Sensient. 8/10 for this one.

Track 9: Tetrameth - The Quickening

Watching the sun is going down and the machines are getting alive again this is the perfect soundtrack to, with a sentimental acoustic guitar sample in the end of the track.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last track keeps the high quality of this compilation and I push the repeat button,

to enjoy this trip again. You can't find any gap fillers! This Compilation doesn't sound like a Compilation because there is always a red line you can find. For all those who like dark, minimal, intelligent music and have sun in their hearts, I can tell to get this record!

Altogether 9/10.

Good compilation, taking it back to the darker realms after the more morning-oriented "Permutations". I prefer "Permutations" over this one though, but it's certainly worth a listen - not only is it good, but it's also one of the only labels who keep releasing darker progressive and minimal trance (Crotus and Sub Machine also deserves to be mentioned though).

• 6 months later...

here's the official http://sonic-enery.net review ;)

Compilation: Intelligent Manipulation

Label: Zenon Records

Year: 2005

Format: CD

Web: http://www.zenonrecords.webhop.net/

Posted Image

Songs

01. Minimal Criminal Vs. Krumelur - Reefer and Barbecue

(140 BPM’s on C m)

02. Cujorius One - 95,5 Radio Joint (138 BPM’s on F#m)

03. Sensient – Morehdel (138 on BPM’s on G m)

04. Praecox - Psycho Deloza (143 BPM’s on A m)

05. Krumelur - Destroy All Monsters (144 BPM’s on F m)

06. Moses – Moonpie (140 BPM’s on D m)

07. Sun Control Species - Nameless Blameless

(139 BPM’s on G m)

08. Shadow Fx - Dr Elephant (139 BPM’s on D#m)

09. Tetrameth - The Quickening (136 BPM’s on D#m)

* Refer & Barbecue

My favourite part about this track is the fusion between intricate and intelligent sounds that blend so nicely with the overall laid-back structure of the song. Add this to your list of set starters, in my opinion, as it creates just enough hypnotic energy to suck you in the trance but yet stays away from anything too chaotic.

* Radio Joint

This track sets the pace for the rest of the album, in a strictly minimal sense. A complex percussion is accompanied with some really eerie sounds and melodies that create a very dark and confusing atmosphere for the listener while layers of lower tone sounds carefully penetrate the subconscious.

* Morehdel

Sensient does a nice little break beat intro that abruptly transforms into some heavy doofing. The song starts of heavy but slow to prepare us for what is about to come next. Slowly it moves into a darker and darker realm but he does a great job of picking up the pace simultaneously. A true progressive genius!

* Psycho Deloza

If you know Praecox, you know what to expect. I would not call this one of their best work. The whole track maintains a more or less consistent intensity. What I like is minimal use of instruments and effects to create a somewhat interesting melody.

* Destroy all monsters

One could call this the happy, funny, and bizarre track of the compilation. A random selection of samples and sounds create an extremely cartoon like atmosphere. There are some creative melodies that may remind you of a drunken experimental trumpet player auditioning for a Godzilla play.

* Moonpie

The cool and composed atmosphere in this track makes it a nice selection for something around the 5 am range, you know when people just want to feel the trance but are trying to store some energy for the sunrise. The melodies are much more lighter and refreshing and the percussion is simple and clean but still very creative and interesting.

* Nameless Blameless

Ahhhhh, and then there was light. This track moves into the morning with extremely soothing and silky melodies that are accompanied by breezy effects a nice use of vocal samples that create a very groovy form and structure.

* Dr. Elephant

Tribal beats, hypnotic melodies, echoes, and a careful selection of percussions consist of the overall foundation in this piece. The song moves slowly and consistently into more and more intensity.

* The quickening

The quickening has a more punchy and groovy feel to it from the rest of the tracks. It quickly builds its structure in the beginning and then adds more and more melodic flare as the track progresses. There is a harmonious balance of clean classical sounds and psychedelic effects that allow the track to maintain a very solid center. Overall the track is so rightfully mellow that it definitely makes you want some more of it.

Summary:

Great for the car, great for home, and great for a party.

- Review by Sulibaba

I actually didn't like it...I was expecting it to be more proggy since Sensient compiled it and in fact it's a little bit too minimalistic and half of the tracks don't go anywhere. Best one definitely is Sun Control Species, great track !...5/10

I really like the first "dark" half, but the 2nd half isn't my thing... and i really enjoy the preacox tune... "for the love of jesus christ"

Now this is REALLY good and different... should get a real review together soon, but I thoroughly enjoy this compilation. The jazzy stuff hits me just right, Sensient has one of his darkest and most pumping tracks here, and Tetrameth has a wicked melancholy sound to end it off. Excellent release!

I actually didn't like it...I was expecting it to be more proggy since Sensient compiled it and in fact it's a little bit too minimalistic and half of the tracks don't go anywhere. Best one definitely is Sun Control Species, great track !...5/10

324213[/snapback]

too minimal...

to be non melodic this progressive is not minimal at all and very psychedelic...

imo off course ;)

• 1 month later...

This is the kind of music that could sound good or bad, depending on which moment of the day you listen to it. I have to be in the mood to enjoy it.

That said, i really liked this CD at first listen.

Some really great tracks like tracks 2, 3, 4, 5. Imperturbable rhythms, some jazzy passages, Krumelur likes fanciful samples no doubt about it. Great dark and worrying atmospheres (tracks 2, 3, and 4 are the best examples).

After track 5 it turns less dark, more dynamic, and it makes a change. And the last tracks like 8 and 9 are worth listening to, lots of variations and different ideas in these ones...I really like the rhythmics of the last track. Actually, track 9 is really amazing, perfect production, and really creative.

Last good point, the transitions beteween the tracks are perfect.

To play at night IMO.

8/10.

Listen to this kid's voice who tells you "that you're gonna die out there"

220027[/snapback]

That's from Resident Evil and the girl says: "You're all going to die down here". This is actually the first song where the sample fits.

Good comp. by the way :)