RIP Goa Gil 1951-2023

HolyLight

Just read via Astral Projections Facebook that Gilbert Levey/Shri Mahant Managalanand Puri aka Goa Gil has passed away sadly. 

Feels like yesterday when I used to blast his Kosmokrator compilation:

https://www.discogs.com/release/204747-Goa-Gil-Deck-Wizards-Kosmokrator

And this one:

https://www.discogs.com/master/761473-Goa-Gil-Spiritual-Trance-Vol-2

What are your personal memories of Goa Gil? 

Googling around some for his biography and found some interesting interviews, one from as recently as 2020:

https://www.gqindia.com/entertainment/content/the-incredible-true-history-of-goa-gil-psychedelic-trance-and-the-end-of-the-hippy-trail

Reading Goa Gil's wikipedia biography entry, is in many ways the story of how Goa Trance came to be, summed up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goa_Gil

6 hours ago, Parasphere said:

What are your personal memories of Goa Gil? 

My first rave was a Goa Gil Mahayagya in India in 1999 , I think. With no exposure to the music as a teenager and with no idea what to expect  I spent the night trying to make sense of what i was hearing  , seeing  and smelling :) around me - the 4 by 4 beat  , fluorescent backdrops with elves and goblins ,  braided hippies dancing away , It was an assault on the senses ( in a good way) i was intrigued no end by the setting the music and the people.

When the sun came up , i witnessed the magic which then stuck with me forever .I was an initiation like no other.  My brother went on to give  me his forest of the saints cassette that he had picked up from Goa earlier and the rest as they say is history .. 

I owe my "getting into" psytrance to the man himself so he will always occupy a special place in my psych. 

RIP babaji ! hope you continue your party wherever you are .. 🎵🌈🌙

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, exotic said:

My first rave was a Goa Gil Mahayagya in India in 1999 , I think. With no exposure to the music as a teenager and with no idea what to expect  I spent the night trying to make sense of what i was hearing  , seeing  and smelling :) around me - the 4 by 4 beat  , fluorescent backdrops with elves and goblins ,  braided hippies dancing away , It was an assault on the senses ( in a good way) i was intrigued no end by the setting the music and the people.

When the sun came up , i witnessed the magic which then stuck with me forever .I was an initiation like no other.  My brother went on to give  me his forest of the saints cassette that he had picked up from Goa earlier and the rest as they say is history .. 

I owe my "getting into" psytrance to the man himself so he will always occupy a special place in my psych. 

RIP babaji ! hope you continue your party wherever you are .. 🎵🌈🌙

Nice, you created some beautiful images of Goa in my minds eye. Was it a beach location or forest, hillside area something else? I've never been to Goa myself, so I'm not familiar with the city/area names. And btw does anyone here on the forum know what era the party beach footage is from at the end of the video interview in my original post? 

Is it modern IE from the era of the documentary or from the early Goa era? I can't quite place the music and the style of the decos and fashion like quite distinct compared to what's common in my country for sure. ^^

The first time I heard about him was around 1995 or 1996. It was in one of the biggest newspapers here in Norway at the time; Dagbladet. Their weekend edition during those days had a lot of music articles. This one time there was a three page article (that's how I remember it at least) about this dude who went to Goa in the 80s and just stayed there. This was of course during my formative years, and I had already been exposed to goa/psytrance at that time. Reading about Goa Gil and how he viewed music was quite the eye opener. Then this documentary was shown on TV, Technomania. Goa Gil was one of the people featured in the documentary. The way he talked about music and the spirit of music was quite different. It was amazing.

I never got to hear him play, which I find sad.

• Like 2