2. Xenomorph - Dying Sun
3. Battle of the Future Buddhas - Shinechaser
4. Shakta - Expedition to Earth
5. Astral Projection - Dominion
6. MFG - Global Light (Retro Version)
7. Ra - Eikon 
8. Oforia - Emotionally Charged Memories

Good Happy about this release.

In Vinyl and CD to tickle those physical cravings.

https://suntriprecords.bandcamp.com/album/gamma-draconis

https://www.suntriprecords.com/product/item/SUNCD63/

• Thanks 2

This is a very strange CD for me. 

It almost sound like these old masters like Xeno, MFG and Astral said "oh, Suntrip wants music from us... New school.... what to these guys like again? Ultra clean sounds, alot of bitcrushing and made in software". 

And thats what they delivered. Some of the stuff here sounds much more "dated" than even their own stuff from 15 years ago. Theres a plastic sound quality to alot of the tracks, especially the xeno, astral, and oforia tracks. I can hardly believe it was the same guys that made this stuff. Its almost like they hired some friend/co-producer/ghostwriter to make some of this stuff (the oforia track specifically). Im thoroughly disappointed.

I like the xeno track musically, but sound is not what I would expect from a master like this. Even his stuff from waaay back sound better.

We have so much amazing quality in the new school genre that there's really no excuse to not submit top tier production (especially coming from artists like the people on this comp)

Theres Artifact303, that makes the tracks from these ancients look like it was their first attempts at making music in the box.

Filteria uses hardware and sounds about a million times better than most of the tracks on this CD, aswell as Artifact - which afaik do NOT use that much hardware.

Mindsphere is another that comes to mind using the same gear as these old artists supposedly also do. So why does so much on this album sound plastic fantastic? When mindsphere, artifact, filteria etc do not?

Even the Astral track sounds weaker than anything from Amen (2002). 

Guess Ill get alot of hate for this review but considering the high standard of new school goa - and the high regards we have of these masters and creators of original goa trance - this was NOT what it should have been..

• Like 2

Can't judge guys who didn't make specific style in decade or more. Sometimes I don't make music for half year and much thing I forget, much things change in short period.

Roy, BOTFB and Shakta are my favorites.

Xenomorph composed great one with terrible mixing. Is it because of lack of knowledge or proper gear? Or he just forgot how to, anyway he was never into clean production so...

Astrals... more trancy than goa, artists choice. Judge it after you hear it and feel it on dancefloor!

MFG took few decades old track and finelly polished it to fit 2020s

RA would be perfect with more balanced mix over layers, bass and percs are too loud. Track as idea is great!

Oforia deliever sound that could fit everyones taste on todays festival, mixture of everything yet Goa.

It's strange indeed because of all these styles but it's great to see all these names with their own vision of how Goa should sound today. I know some of guys were hugely impacted by some of festivals in last years and decided to change their style or update it... I remember Battle of Future Buddhas told me 'I don't want to make dark shit anymore' which he proved in this compilation. RA was satisfed with how some new Goa sound on dancefloor in Apsara, and now you can hear he tried that.

And I am happy for that, I don't want to listen 20+ years of same sound over and over, this is unexpected but refreshing :)

i dont mind the music at all on the compilation, the oforia and astral tracks too. But i mind how they sound. The oforia track has a really really weak kick and im very surprised the dude went backwards. If it was something from a new label, or a small label - with lots of indie artists - i would likely have felt very different. But its suntrip, and its ancient masters like the ones mentioned. There really shouldnt be an excuse to not have the BEST sound possible; to portray the music.

xenos track could have been so great, but the kick is just a subby click. And why did Astral all of a sudden feel the bitcrusher is the best thing ever?

Anyway, this is just one persons opinion thats all :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/20/2020 at 6:40 AM, Tsotsi said:

image.png.bf38d764e8ac7abf5d2f85b4ed3d725a.png

Artist: Various
Title: Gamma Draconis
Label: Suntrip Records
Release: October 5, 2020

Tracklist:-
1. Roy Sasson - Mentalogue
2. Xenomorph - Dying Sun
3. Battle of the Future Buddhas - Shinechaser
4. Shakta - Expedition to Earth
5. Astral Projection - Dominion
6. MFG - Global Light (Retro Version)
7. Ra - Eikon 
8. Oforia - Emotionally Charged Memories

Good Happy about this release.

In Vinyl and CD to tickle those physical cravings.

https://suntriprecords.bandcamp.com/album/gamma-draconis

https://www.suntriprecords.com/product/item/SUNCD63/

Outstanding review mate!

Nice release from Suntrip, I gotta admit that I prefer their "artist albums", but at least they tried to get these folks together. Thumbs up for that!

I would write a review, but the music speaks for itself:

Xenomorph - Dying Sun

"Our star is dying. All our science. All our hopes, our... our dreams, are foolish! In the face of this, we are dust, nothing more. Unto this dust, we return."

"I'm gonna rotate us so the damage is facing away from the sun."

"Proximity warning! Hull temperature critical, gravity compensation failing."

"A huge red sun, many times larger than the Moon as seen from Earth. Judging by its color, it was no hotter than a glowing coal. Here and there, set into the somber red, were rivers of bright yellow, incandescent Amazons, meandering for thousands of miles before they lost themselves in the deserts of this dying sun."

%

Shakta - Expedition to Earth

"-Planet connection?
    -Earth. Expedition to Earth."

"-How are you feeling?
    - Wait. What?
    -It's perfectly normal to feel confused. For the next four months, you'll enjoy space travel at its most luxurious."

%

Astral Projection - Dominion

"-Dominion.
    -What?
    -We have only one thing to give up... our dominion.
    We don't own the world.
    We're not kings here, not gods.
    Can we give that up?
    Too precious, all that control?
    Too tempting, being a god?"   

%

MFG - Global Light (Retro Edit)

"Global light."

"Some thoughts and a certain sound."

%

Oforia - Emotionally Charged Memories

"Emotionally charged memories."

Respect!

• 1 month later...

Gamma Draconis? The third star in the Draco constellation? The third dragon? The third coming? I'm not sure.

Whatever the title means, the sound is good on this vinyl compilation of classic Goa artists; a lot of detail is on offer. What a great pleasure it is to have Goa on vinyl again; Suntrip Records are to be commended - let us hope they produce more vinyl editions.

It must be admitted, however, that their postage and packing leave much to be desired. Mine arrived bent and buckled due to the inadequate flimsy box and took its sweet time too. When I wrote informing them of this there was no reply. Tsk tsk Suntrip - up your game. I understand you have been out of the vinyl game for some time, but there is no excuse for a lack of professionalism. Amongst other things, this means proper lp mailers with double boxes and taking care of your loyal fans, including replying to emails.

On to the tunes. It must first be noted that the back cover is the same as the CD, with Roy Sasson initiating proceedings, when in fact his is the second last track on the lp. A charming error that was also apparent a few times in the 90s, suggesting that the vinyl issue is an afterthought. This is a pity because lp cover art has a lot more potential for detail, colour saturation, scale etc, not to mention vinyl sound.

Ah vinyl sound. The sound on this vinyl is very, very good. As good as on any of the golden age vinyls from the 90s. The tracks themselves? There are no weak tracks. The acidic Battle of the Future Buddhas track isn't their best for me; a bit too repetitive. I'm not completely convinced either about the Astral Projection track which seems a bit on autopilot to me (well, at least until the breakdown and gorgeous conclusion). For me Xenomorph, MFG, Oforia, and RA bring the killer tunes. The production on the Xenomorph track has to be heard to be believed; my favourite track on the compilation. Xenomorph: has he ever made a less than extraordinary track? If so, I've never heard it. Surprisingly the final track, RA's "Eikon", is the most up-tempo full on track on the album. Did Suntrip do this to suggest where Goa went? What I really like most, nevertheless, about this compilation is that each artist sounds recognisably themselves; there's no confusing Shakta with AP, for instance. That really cool individuality of each artist that was characteristic of 90s Goa is intact: Great!

I've been listening to some neo-Goa on cd and streaming recently on my digital system - cool. Hehe, but when I put on this vinyl in my analogue system a portal opens up into a transdimensional world of tonal velvet and unlimited space. Superior? No contest! This is the way that Goa was originally supposed to sound and boy does it deliver sensual bliss.

The first vinyl edition of Khetzal's classic "Corolle" album is apparently on the way, so that is further cause for Goa fans to celebrate. Just don't forget to post it in an lp mailer. Go Suntrip! ~*~

Thanks for the long review!
Just for some update: we now use the ultra strong protection packs so it should be no more problem (for a while there was an issue indeed) as we tried several different options. Now we are sure what the best option is! :) And second thing. Not sure where you contacted us, there are a million of online ways of contacting one of us, and because of that we sometimes miss stuff, but the most easy way is certainly: Anoebis@suntriprecords.com or Mars@suntriprecords.com :)