German Top10, what is the appeal of this "music" ?

Multi-Media

German Top10, what is the appeal of this "music" and how does your countries Top10 sound?

Over half of the Charts now has such titles, I cannot understand, I mean when Lady Gaga etc. was in the Charts this was literally gold compared to this...the vocals are terrible, there is no good melody, the beats are only soso the lyrics stupid......

Check this early Gaga performance compared:

This is no complaint thread about popular music at all, as in the past mostly I could find some reasons why the masses would like the Top10 hit in question ..but not here anymore

I can maybe give you an argument, even though I dislike this music that you posted - but the reason why I dislike it is the key here: I understand the lyrics - because I speak german - and that's bad for me here. Because the lyrics are shit!

The lyrics of these pop songs are generally shit, that's the problem.

But: melodic structure and beat are ususally not even that bad. I have to admit, I do have a fancy or two for this "commercial" stuff sometimes - but the lyrics annoy me to death ... sooo: what to do?
Simple: switch to foreign pop songs!

Here's a taste for you - an especially peculiar one, because that video has even been recorded in germany, but the lyrics are completely different:

So: can the reason for these songs be that people who don't understand the lyrics - i.e. people who don't speak german - like them?
Because you have to admit, there is a certain fancy for german lyrics out there in the "market" - not always for the best reasons though I'm afraid...

those tracks aren't as bad as what's played on the radio here in austria. have a taste here:

this is the kind of utter crap i have to endure at work every day. the music is horrendously bad, the lyrics are even worse and the fact that singing in tune apparently is not in fashion anymore drives me crazy.

my hypothesis is that modern pop music is more like advertisement than music. the only goal seems to be to make something that is annoying enough to be remembered and therefore stick out from the rest.

@Padmapani Ö3?
Horrible radio station. Ö1 is much better (when they don't play opera). Best is: Technikum City. But you can't get that in Linz, right? However, you guys got some good slangsta artists over there as a counterbalance...

Anyway. Want rant mode? Or a "who's got the worse pop song" contest? Well. "Give him a taste, Patrick":

It's just shit. The guy can't even speak properly. I can't listen to this shit more than few seconds without losing my insanity.

There is actually no point in arguing about this type of pop music though or trying to understand the "mass" of people that "like" it (I put the like in quotes there because I dunno, maybe they don't even like it that much but they don't know better?). I tried to understand them, several times, but I failed utterly.
I'm seeing the positive in it: I'm glad that it exists - it gives a good filter. I'm not interested in normal people. People need a certain amount of insanity - or, say, peculiarity - that I like them. The ordinary sheeps that are manipulated by mass media and therefore are excessive consumers of ordinary pop music _and nothing beyond_ are mostly as uninteresting as watching a puddle of water dry up. I therefore mostly ask people what music they listen to ... and then I see about the answer. Many times I can learn from it aswell. I have come to the conclusion that there is no bad music - except pop like that...

...speaking of counterblance. I'll make a counterbalance thread. Need this now before I go crazy.

Edit: thread created: https://www.psynews.org/forums/topic/76276-good-pop-music/ 

"Des Anzige wos I wü is a Käsekrainer und a Bier..."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RTP said:

@Padmapani Ö3?
Horrible radio station. Ö1 is much better (when they don't play opera). Best is: Technikum City. But you can't get that in Linz, right? However, you guys got some good slangsta artists over there as a counterbalance...

yup. it's even worse than the other pop radio stations that play almost exactly the same. ö1 is not horrible, neither is fm4 (even though they stopped the shows with electronic music that's actually interesting a long time ago). tbh even ö regional is better than ö3.

no, we don't have technikum city here. the best station we get is probably lounge fm. not that it matters much; there's no choice at work and i'll definitely never listen to radio at home.

i completely agree about the filter. i have yet to meet any interesting person that just listens to what's played on the radio.

From my understanding/impression, the new generation, the Tik Tok generation that is. Most of them don't listen to radio at all, it's spotify and youtube. So yeah for most people radio is just an annoyance/blessing they're exposed to at the workplace. It's kinda beyond me really why one should listen to some randomly chosen music, when you have all the options at home to listen to exacly what you want. And without commercial ads should you want to (pay for). And when there's plenty of themed playlists on spotify etc with every genre there is.

So radio I think is mostly for bus drivers, car drivers, store clerks/hair dressers. And people who grew up with radio and thus has some nostalgic connection to it. :) From my perspective whenever I tried to listen to a radio app like tuneine for example, whatever channel you picked, you soon realize that it's just a spotify playlist or some other music service/mp3 playlist perhaps, that they've put on repeat for 24/7, so it's the same songs over and over. Gets old pretty quick. The bigger commercial radio channels of course might have some DJ/radio host. But those as well play the same limited selection of tracks over and over again. I guess that could be were most of the charm is for many, the sense that you have some radio host speaking every once in a while, adding some variation to the monotonous time at work.

My impression is also that the radio stations that aren't genre/decade locked, might be the best option for variety, if they're big and have different DJ's/radio hosts. Naturally those that focus on a single style or decade will inevitably play the classics of their respective category more often.

Just a short note, I doubt if the lyrics were in Russian or Japanese I would like it more, also there is simmilar stuff in English 

It is kind of ironic when (some) people called out for more German lyrics (when the charts were dominated by English titles) and then THIS comes out. Ok, we also had Schlager or Rammstein in the Charts. In the 80ties lots of NDW (New German Wave)

Let me listen to the examples you guys provided later.. @RTPWhow this is really bad, the guy sounds like he is in some kind of half asleep state and is eating or chewing gum while trying to sing/babble and/or on drugs. The super simple music does not help too of course..

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2020 at 11:04 PM, recursion loop said:

Curious what you'd think of these

[AIGEL -Tatarin]

OMG you know AIGEL?
Respect!
AIGEL is one of the best bands I know. I love her vocal performance ... it's so awesome. Here's one more:

The best is "You're Born" though. I have not yet met a band that can actually portrait my flight anxiety in sound and screen. AIGEL did it. This is masterful ... the work of  genious minds ... makes me feel so good...

HOWEVER ... you are kinda missing the point a little I'm afraid because it's good music - or are these "top ten pop songs" in other countries?

Then my theory would be correct indeed and I'd confess myself 100% guilty for liking bad pop music - if I don't understand the lyrics :D

• Like 1

Yes, Aigel is one of the few our pop bands i really like, but that's partly because the lyrics are in my native language, so i was curious how would it sound to someone who doesn't understand what they sing. 

The other two tracks are kinda irrelevant but i just love them, also great lyrics.

TBH, I have no idea what current Russian top 10 sounds like, based on what seems to be currently popular I guess it must be the same kind of crap as in the OP but in Russian.

• 2 weeks later...

Miss Kittin is good, really good ... but she can't be compared to Aigel imo. Aigel focuses much more on voice and what you can do with it, different pronounciations of words, even in nuances ... Miss Kittin is, I'd say, rather trying not to give any pronounciations with her texts, her vocals are rather sterile - and her focus is more on electronic music, where the focus of Aigel is rather on the "rap" parts.

Nothing of these has to do with shitty pop music though, I think we kinda lost the thread here :D

Time to bring it back on track: