Progressive psytrance or minimal psytrance recommendations?

healium

Hey all!

While I enjoy some of the new-school goa, it seems that it's all that I see on here anymore - either that or darkpsy..  Both goa and darkpsy are so fast, relentless barrage of sounds and layers - goa is great stuff, but it can't be the only psy I listen to..

Back in the 2000's we had amazing progressive psytrance albums being released - X-Dream, Vibrasphere, Beat Bizarre, Reefer Decree, Atmos, Ticon, Krumelur, etc..  I miss the slower BPM and hypnotic build up of layers that this sort of trance involves.. 

Can anyone recommend newer releases in this same style?

Don't know of any new releases in this style, but I do enjoy the occasional Shiva Chandra or M.O.S. releases from the 2000-2003 minimal era. They had something...brooding, soothing, dark yet they weren't over-the-top kinda "look at me I can play 50 sounds at the same time". Very refreshing to listen to from time to time, although I'd imagine how boring and monotome the scene must've felt back when this music dominated the scene...

I also remember enjoying som early stuff in this style, mainly from Reefer Decree, Oryx and Beat Bizarre. I imagine there must be some new stuff in the same vein? Or perhaps there hasn't been a revival in that style yet? I have no real grasp on new releases in other styles than goa. So I'm also kinda curious. Not that I intend to branch out and explore too much. As I already have way too much backlog to sift through. Pretty much 10 years of neo goa (2010/2020) + revisiting the early classic goa, researching the beginnings and refreshing my memory.

Did the progressive style die out, or is it still going strong? I remember that Flying Rhino were pioneers in a new more minimalistic intelligent approach. Iboga was always a safe bet in the early 2000's at least. 

• 3 weeks later...

I do know that Beat Bizarre has released quite a bit of new material over the last few years, and it is excellent..  His albums "Mukharv", "Riot", and "Maunder Minimum" are all excellent - great style, deep and hypnotic - sort of a dark and groovy thing, very unique, I can pick a Beat Bizarre track out easily..  Happily I find today that he just released a new album this year called "Perpetuum Mobile" that I'm looking forward to checking out..

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 4/26/2020 at 7:20 AM, healium said:

Hey all!

While I enjoy some of the new-school goa, it seems that it's all that I see on here anymore - either that or darkpsy..  Both goa and darkpsy are so fast, relentless barrage of sounds and layers - goa is great stuff, but it can't be the only psy I listen to..

Back in the 2000's we had amazing progressive psytrance albums being released - X-Dream, Vibrasphere, Beat Bizarre, Reefer Decree, Atmos, Ticon, Krumelur, etc..  I miss the slower BPM and hypnotic build up of layers that this sort of trance involves.. 

Can anyone recommend newer releases in this same style?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx5N8PjdxKfyxDmTitGbwGQ

There you go my friend. Then click on playlists and your home, i promise

• 1 month later...