02. 09’30” Hologram Infection

03. 07’59” Cosmic Psychosis

04. 09’33” Ground Zero

05. 09’08” Paranormal

06. 09’43” Beta Pictoris

07. 11’57” Heliosphere

Review:

More old school than Donkey Kong!

Finland isn’t all weird faggot-squaremeat type insanity… It’s also the home of Tranceform Records, one of the leading forces in the resurrection of old school goa trance… This 3rd. release, showcasing some Swedish melodic goa is from Ypsilon5 - Gothenburg based David Lilje of former Örebro fame… This is old school all the way through – actually the only thing not old school about this is the cover-art which looks cool, but strangely out of tune with the music… Well, looks can be deceiving…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Huh? So I accidentally got an old Astral Projection CD instead of Ypsilon5? …No I haven’t – I’ve checked and double-checked… This IS Ypsilon5, but could easily have been an old Astral Projection tune… The difference is minimal… But hey, old AP was good right? And this is good… Focus is the trance-inducing melodies, beautiful synths… It’s just plain old happy-go-lucky goa trance produced with modern production techniques…Still trying to figure out how a blob can be gaseous… It’s a mind-boggler! Anyway, great track!

#02: This continues in the same style, only slightly faster… A classic night time stomper here, complete with the usual sci-fi samples… I guess the old saying “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” suits this, ‘cause there is nothing revolutionary about this – at all! Oh wait, actually there is this very cool “Muses Rapt – Spiritual Healing” inspired melody in the middle of the track… Not original in any way, but still very pleasant to listen too… Nice track!

#03: Slowly, building intro here… The odd Eastern flute adds to the atmosphere, and then BAM, the baseline takes over, framing another morning trance tune… Melodies swirling all over the place – this is fodder for all the smiling faces on the dance floor… Nice track!

#04: This is the track you can download for free… And I encourage you to do so, because this is cool! Actually, this is the least-old school track of the album…A slightly darker and deeper track than the rest… Still very much full on, with crisp acid-influences and super cool guitars! Very cool track!

#05: Sounds familiar? Well, that’s because you’ve already heard it… This track was released on last years Tranceform compilation Blissfull Moments… A timeless morning track here… Fast paced, simple melodies and just, err… Pure bliss! Reminds me of old Man With No Name stuff actually… Nice track!

#06: More jolly melodies here… I see a pattern forming! ;o) This is very light, highly melodic morning trance… Maybe even close to being Nitzhonot… I don’t know, but this doesn’t really grab me as much as the rest of the album… Dare I say, slightly boring?

#07: Last but not least (sorry for being so unbelievably predictable *sS*)… A nice, chilled track to let you relax after all that melodic mayhem… This is pretty straightforward… Mellow sounds, dubby beats and slow melodies… Nothing revolutionary here, but definitely some chilled quality… Ok track!

After years of living in the shadows, old school is back… And I for one appreciate that… Nothing will let your mind fly like the old classic distinctive mid-nineties sound… That combined with modern production techniques makes a great cocktail… However, I’m sure many will find this boring and very dated, but if you fancy going back to the old days and reminisce for a while, you do not want to miss this… I kinda have mixed feelings about this… I really, really like old school, and most of this is good, it’s just not awesome…I could’ve used more build-ups and climaxes in most of the tracks… But I guess I have to wait for the next Tranceform release for that – I hear that the ‘king of climaxes’ Filteria has a few tracks on a forthcoming compilation… To sum up; Listen to this before you buy… For some people, this will not be an essential release, but for what it is, it’s quite good! ;o)

7/10

Favourites: 1, 4 (!!)

DeathPosture

External links:

Tranceform Records: www.tranceformrecords.com (soundclips available!)

Free download: Ground Zero

Psyshop: http://www.psyshop.com

Wirikuta Distribution: http://www.wirikuta.de

Streetbeat: http://www.streetbeat.ac

• 1 year later...
Guest Rain

great album... lot's of waves maybe sometimes to many...

their sound is strong but sometimes they use it to much... a bit diversity would be great...

• 6 months later...
Guest Le Lotus Bleu

Ypsilon 5 - Binari Sky (Tranceform)

Tracklist:

1.Gaseous Blob 9'17

2.Hologram Infection 9'28

3.Cosmic Psychosis 7'57

4.Ground Zero 9'31

5.Paranormal 9'04

6.Beta Pictoris 9'41

7.Heliosphere 11'58

Ypsilon 5 is David Lilja from Sweden. The mastering is done by Luru at Kion Bassopaja.

1. Gaseous Blob ? Strange, i consider it more liquid from a musical view (acid rain's drops falling ) than something connected with gas. This opening song isn't top boisterous, it's more on trying to build a subtle hypnotic atmosphere.

2. The subtle hynotic atmosphere is maintained, consequently it's sounding close to previous one excepting the liquid aspect. Here you can also hear some spoken samples but i don't catch a word of what the guy is saying. I consider here the hypnotic style to be a bit boring, it lacks something to take off.

3. A beginning with oriental tones then later on, the whole becomes more dynamic than the 2 first tunes although the hypnotic vibes is one of the Ypsilon 5 trademarks & you can check it there once again.

4. This one is more pumping with electric guitar riffs accompanied with strings in th background. We reache here some fastest levels here like in the 2 next tunes & i would assimiliated it with something of Astral Projection (goa period obviously) through sounds & melody.

5. Paranormal goes into the 303 boisterous area with up & down loops, here again i find it to reveal a backgrounded Astral Projection flavour by moments.

6. Beta Pictoris appears slightly more spacey to my ears, more voluptuous. The hypnotic touch from the beginning of the album comes back a bit here too. A nice compromise indeed, between the different parts of the album.

7. Heliosphere drives you far way in direction of the sun through a long floating journey. Let your eyes closed & start the travelling without moving phenomenon, it's an ideal track eitheir for awakening in the early morning or just before falling asleep after a hard day of work.

Binari Sky renews with the old goa's tradition of albums containing long titles, letting time for the artist to fully express his story or emotion.

This album is concepted like a heavy diesel truck: it needs a long moment in order to get speed & when it reaches its climax level, it needs once again plenty of time to break on a long distance.

Little regret with the redundant 2 first tracks, i think it'd be better to activate the evolution between tracks earlier.

This album is worth buying for tracks 4,6&7 & if you're fond of goa sounds of course.

Ypsilon5 - Binary Sky has some good, maybe great songs! The best songs seem to not surprisingly be in the middle of the album. Unfortunately, it takes some time I feel (several tracks) for the album to really pick up and lift off with the higher amount waves and melodies and basically more exciting, energetic goatrance songs.

At times it's very beautiful and I wish they spent the time to make every track really good or great (with some Top killers) as Filteria and Talpa basically did, because just several tracks on this album seem like they could have been more developed, intricate, and imaginative. Regardless, this is one of the few albums of 2004 which is Goa-Trance. It's one of the best albums of 2004, being placed somewhere in the list after Filteria and Talpa and maybe after one or two others for me. I look forward to their next release.

Whatever happened to the old review thread of Ypsilon5 from 2004? :huh: I tried to search for it and can't locate it. :( Are those threads deleted after a year or something?? Does anyone know?

• 2 years later...

YPSILON5 - BINARY SKY

TRANCEFORM RECORDS

Track list:

01. 09’19” Gaseous Blob - B+

02. 09’30” Hologram Infection - B

03. 07’59” Cosmic Psychosis - B+

04. 09’33” Ground Zero - A-

05. 09’08” Paranormal - B

06. 09’43” Beta Pictoris - B+

07. 11’57” Heliosphere - B / B+

YPSILON5 - BINARY SKY is one of the most solid post-21st century new-school Goatrance albums. No track is less than good here. Several are great, excellent. The melody work is often motivating and uplifting, and very layered and influenced by now legendary Astral Projection. What I love about this album, as with Filteria, is that here we have yet another style of maximal (in a sense) Psychedelic Goa-Trance. I love the Eastern-Indian Goa sound, the strong melody structures, and other various sounds that produce the strong, driving soundscapes often present throughout this album. It's very smooth, crisp, and textured. At times the sound is very ethereal and romantic. The songs that best showcase such moments are in introductions to Gaseous Bob, Beta Pictoris, and Heliosphere. Often times these dreamy melodies carry over into parts throughout the song. It's beautiful, especially the openings. The introductions often create a strong foundation and the following development is no exception; the ground is stable to be built upon. These artists create some wonderful pieces.

Gripes / Weaknesses

1.) This album needs more super songs. Example: Ground Zero. Give us at least 2-3 songs up to par and better on a follow-up. That would be really something. :)

2.) Certain tracks sound similar in concept in that they build up to a thick melody structure and with exception to one interlude maybe, it's more or less obvious how the song will play out. A wider degree of sounds, climaxes, unpredictable moments, and twists and turns would be fun in a follow-up.

Two examples of tracks that stand out due to their slower tempo/speed is Cosmic Psychosis and Heliosphere. However the album most shines in the middle of the album with Ground Zero. The leading melody is VERY gripping in Ground Zero. The song isn't just layerd, fun, pretty, and relatively catchy as Gaseous Blob is, which by the way isn't a bad thing. Nonetheless, the melody work in Ground Zero is strong, powerful, and memorable. The same can be said for other tracks as well. Overall this is a very good, if not a great album. I recommend some Goa listeners take this album back out of their collection and listen to it again. It doesn't deserve to collect dust for too long!

Where the hell is the sequel? It's been 3 years! These artists should make a sequel and Suntrip Records should release it, in my opinion.

Favorite Tracks - 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.

B+

SAMPLES

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/tfm/tfm1cd003.html

My favorite albums of 2004:

Filteria - Sky Imput ... A-

Talpa - Art of Being Non ... B+

Four Carry Nuts - Mechanical Age ... B+

Ypsilon5 - Binary Sky ... B+

Electric Universe - Cosmic Experience ... B

Space Monkey - Psychotic Episode ... B

The Misted Muppet - From The Legend ... B / B-

• 5 years later...

I remember when this came out back when there were very few goa trance releases. Suntrip was just starting out and this label already had the Blissful Moments compilation as well as the outstanding Anima Mundi by Ethereal. This was when the melodic, storytelling tracks were making a comeback and you definitely get that here. I mean no offense to Alien Project, but after I heard this stuff there was no going back. David Lilja and Patrik Rydberg, two Swedes whose long track times and floating melodies allow the story to unfold at your own pace. Sometimes I feel like there should be more happening in spots or some further twists and turns, but if your looking for an outerspace trip this will definitely do the job.

I hear they are attempting a comeback of sorts, releasing a few tracks on their own. Might have to check that out.

Clicky clicky for their new stuff.

Mdk

• 1 year later...
  • 8 years later...