Future Frequency - Freakuencies [Nano Rec.]

Marketing blurb:

Future Frequency is the progressive brainchild of two of the most renowned psy-trance producers, Avalon & Sonic Species, as a platform to express themselves through more groovy soundscapes. Having already gained a massive following and unanimous appreciation for their bass drenched psychedelic creations; they felt the time was ripe to share their debut album with the world. Besides their slamming solo tracks in this collection, they have also remixed and collaborated with some of the most cutting-edge progressive acts currently on the scene, including: Ace Ventura, Captain Hook, Vertical Mode, Vini Vici, Liquid Soul and Astrix! Plus a special appearance from the Hang Massive. Tune in to experience the future of Freakuencies!

Yeah, well - don't know about all that, but it sounds - track #3 onward at least - decent enough.

If anything, I'm slightly confused at Nano labelling it as "progressive", because it's clearly full-on just like e.g. latest Astrix album or Nano's own excellent V/A "A Taste of South African Psychedelics".

artworks-000192440460-f5cbzy-t500x500.jp

Track Listing:

01. Future Frequency - King Of The Swing
02. Vini Vici - Veni Vidi Vici (Future Frequency Remix)
03. Future Frequency - Shut Your Eyes
04. Liquid Soul - Revolution (Future Frequency Remix)
05. Future Frequency - Freakuencies
06. Ace Ventura & Captain Hook - The Jolly Roger (Future Frequency Remix)
07. Future Frequency vs Vertical Mode -The Real Reality
08. Astrix - Underbeat (Future Frequency Remix)
09. Future Frequency Feat. Hang Massive - Into The Future

Full thing available to preview on Nano Rec's Soundcloud and YouTube (BTW, gotta love when labels are doing it!).

I think it's prog (everything around 140 bpm and below is called prog today)

I thought "prog" was supposed to be 120-130bpm?

If 140 is prog, then I need to speed up my track I started yesterday because I don't want to be associated with that "style" ;):D

reminisce mode on/

Throughout the years the term Progressive was used to label/describe so many genres. And most of the time there was nothing progressive about them.

Sometimes back in the days, the distinction between Rave and Trance was enough (at least for me)

/reminisce mode off

reminisce mode on/

Throughout the years the term Progressive was used to label/describe so many genres. And most of the time there was nothing progressive about them.

Sometimes back in the days, the distinction between Rave and Trance was enough (at least for me)

/reminisce mode off

True, but it was always associated with slower music, so I'm surprised to hear 140bps is progressive nowadays :)

I think 140 bpm is kind of "breaking point" above which psytrance starts to sound "running/rushing" and below it it sounds more "groovy/evolving". 

Also I  believe progressive psytrance (Sideform, Relativ, E-Clip) and progressive trance (Vibrasphere, Atmos, Perfect Stranger) are two different subgenres, the latter is typically slower. 

True, but it was always associated with slower music, so I'm surprised to hear 140bps is progressive nowadays :)

prog can be slower but also faster (but the majority is somwhere between 135 and 140 — since the early 00s. if it's below 130, i'd most of the time rather call it downtempo).

it's more the slow and steady progression with gradual changes, the focus on the groove/rhythm and the lack of energy, big climaxes and abrupt changes that makes a track proggy instead of fullon.

it's more the slow and steady progression with gradual changes, the focus on the groove/rhythm and the lack of energy, big climaxes and abrupt changes that makes a track proggy instead of fullon.

To me the above sounds like definition of minimal techno :)

Also, if Son Kite's "Colour" is considered progressive, then how come it contains a lot of energy, climaxes and abrupt changes?

In the end I still believe it's mostly about slower tempo, providing more breathing room for the sounds to get manipulated, processed and rich, just like Zenon Rec.

This is just slow(er) full-on without any degree of nuance or subtlety, just like Astral Projection's slowed down version of goa tunes weren't ambient for me...

This is just slow(er) full-on without any degree of nuance or subtlety, just like Astral Projection's slowed down version of goa tunes weren't ambient for me...

This is just another commercial prog made for Brazil and Mexico scene and $$$$$$$ they pay there. If you listen carefuly you can hear everything was made by patterns used by zillion artists before.

Fullon is quite melodic and emo, its not predictable as prog, structure and build of tracks are smiliar to Goa Trance. Difference is huge:

Trick these days is everyone want to do music around 140 so you can play +/- 5 BPM and get more gigs. You can present it as prog or as it psy/fullon which is pointless but that's whats happening. In Serbia for example most of prog tracks normaly 135-138 are played on 143-145. Take a look at Outsiders for example, the kick, bass, elements are pure prog stuff but tempo is more into psytrance so they can serve it for more masses easily, get more gigs and money obviously.

Same as Astrix... pure prog. Both releases has nothing to do with fullon :)

• Like 1