The evolution of electronic music styles over the last decade according to Beatport

Lemmiwinks

one picture says more than a thousand words ;)

BEATPORT1.jpg

taken from here

Obviously, psytrance isn't even mentioned in the graph... I guess the most spectacular line is the rise and fall of dubstep and indeed, that's the feeling I had too, only in a handfull of years we went from "what is this new underground sound?", to "dubstep this, dubstep that" to "meh, you still listen to dubstep?". I mean, most genres have such an evolution but with dubstep everything happened so fast.

Otherwise, isn't progressive house and deep house quite interchangeable? And no mention of "big bass" music like Hardcore/ hardstyle?

nah I wouldn't say so, just about every subgenre has its ups and lows, just look at goatrance, all it takes is a handfull of passionate people to bring it back to life again ;)

I really hope dubstep stays dead though.

• 4 weeks later...
only in a handfull of years we went from "what is this new underground sound?", to "dubstep this, dubstep that" to "meh, you still listen to dubstep?". I mean, most genres have such an evolution but with dubstep everything happened so fast.

Because it's all about dancefloor bangers. I mean, just look at big room house.