Your summer holidays... Where did you go!? (+ pics!?)

Anoebis

Hello :)

To spice up the forum a little, a fun topic! Where did you go last summer and how long where you there, and did you like it there or not!? And if you have pics... Show them! :)

For me, I went to some festivals (Freqs in Germany and Lost Theory in Croatia) but my big summer trip was to the Southeast of Asia... 2 weeks of Myanmar and 3 weeks of Malaysia :) Myanmar was amazing, the kindest people of the world in a very poor but cultural reach and beautiful country! Malaysia was amazing nature/jungle/snorkling wise, but except of that it was a western country... So for the people/atmosphere I preferred Myanmar, for the nature Malaysia in the end :)

Still, my nr 1 travelling spot is Indonesia and Guatemala... but I think Myanmar will take the 3rd spot now :) (or Sri Lanka... Hard choices) :)

For some pics:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10201752559634786.1073741828.1204921996&type=1&l=0ef5c2f458

nowhere except sun festival. i was in dire need of an extended period of relaxation this summer and we had a great, exceptionally hot summer, so why go anywhere :)

ah, myanmar, one of the last two countries in south east asia i haven't been to. but i hope it won't stay like that for too long :). i have always been intruiged by myanmar, so please do tell more. do you still have to take all your money in cash because there's no atm? do cell phones really not work at all? and is visiting the shwedagon pagoda or bagan really as impressive as i imagine it to be? ;)

nature in malaysia is great up in the mountains, but if you have a longer drive along the coast the lanscape quickly becomes boring. iirc 1/5 of malaysia's land area is covered by palm oil plantations...

i'd agree that it's too westernized in many respects, but then again it's not more westerized than europe itself as is the case in singapore ;)

great pics btw.

Not a damn place.

Yep. I was supposed to have proper holidays, but a wide variety of things seeped all over the season from both directions. Another example of things that shouldn't happen but they did anyway. Now I just hope that the latest distractions will eventually pay off.

Well alright, I visited a couple of local events and had good time there. I'm also visiting a few different continents on work travels so I get to see places. Just not as extensively as on a holiday trip.

Still, no chance of even a one-week festival was given this year, let alone weeks of roaming. "Maybe next year", he said, just like last year...

Wait.. Nooooo is summer really over already on this side of the world!? It can't be true!

I've only gone to Croatia as you know lately but it was really gorgeous. A lot of mishaps along the way and we were without a hotel or anywhere to stay one night due to overbooking somehow!

I'm not used to this summer yet I think, some reason I thought I had a lot longer left!

final destination was Freedom in Portugal, it wasn't as big as Ozora, nor as cosy as Lost Theory but musical-wise it was the best IMO, I made lots of new discoveries in twilight which I didn't know as well, plus some EPIC unreleased tracks from some masters like OTT, Cosmosis (who had a very rockish set BTW, complete style change), Talamasca, Raja Ram, Hallucinogen and Shpongle, it really reignited my interest for psytrance :)Plus Juno Reactor gave us an AMAZING DJ set, all his tracks were remixed into 100% dancefloor-friendly psytrance, I really hope he'll release them soon :) Here are my pics, hope you enjoy ;)

http://www.slickpic.com/s/jDjN100iCQM0iN/FreedomFestival2013?preview

... and these are pics from my road trip going there (through Italy, South of France and Spain):

http://www.slickpic.com/s/zMOw2DDjcNIMMM/RoadTrip2013?preview

Wait.. Nooooo is summer really over already on this side of the world!? It can't be true!

I've only gone to Croatia as you know lately but it was really gorgeous. A lot of mishaps along the way and we were without a hotel or anywhere to stay one night due to overbooking somehow!

I'm not used to this summer yet I think, some reason I thought I had a lot longer left!

ah yes that's why I always pack a small tent with me now, no room = no problem, I just find a little road in the fields somwhere, set up my tent and sleep AND save the money I would've spent on the hotel room ;)

BTW I actually find one sleeps BETTER in a tent in very warm countries than in a hotel room. Most small hotels don't have air conditioning so it's VERY hot even when the sun comes down, whereas in a tent once the sun comes down everything is nice and cool ;)

@Anoebis:

Nice pictures...I was amazed by Caroline's hair, too :D

Other than that, really great pictures and they made me want to visit Myanmar at some point in the future, too. But first Bhutan ;)

I was in Malaysia once, but only in Kuala Lumpur...liked it, because it was somehow brimming with life. I got to drive around a bit and I've to say that there are way too many areas covered by palm trees for the palm oil industry. But that may have been a problem of the area around KL.

@Lemmiwinks:

I wanted to go to Ozora last year, had already bought a ticket but in the end couldn't go due to work. How would you rate Ozora, Lost Theory and Freedom against each other? Apart from the music to me the "spirit" matters most...

@Anoebis:

Nice pictures...I was amazed by Caroline's hair, too :D

Other than that, really great pictures and they made me want to visit Myanmar at some point in the future, too. But first Bhutan ;)

I was in Malaysia once, but only in Kuala Lumpur...liked it, because it was somehow brimming with life. I got to drive around a bit and I've to say that there are way too many areas covered by palm trees for the palm oil industry. But that may have been a problem of the area around KL.

@Lemmiwinks:

I wanted to go to Ozora last year, had already bought a ticket but in the end couldn't go due to work. How would you rate Ozora, Lost Theory and Freedom against each other? Apart from the music to me the "spirit" matters most...

ha, well it's very difficult to rate since they are 3 very different festivals. Ozora is HUGE, lots of small alternative scenes that allow you to discover new stuff, and amazing deco. However, huge also means you get the wrong type of crowd, so quite a lot of rude people, thefts going on in tents etc :( Lost Theory has a great location, it's much smaller than other "big" festivals but at the same time that's what makes its charm, everything feels nice and cosy and the crowd has a more hippie-type mentality ;) Freedom I'd say is a bit of a loser on first sight cause it's big but not as big as other big festivals like Ozora and Boom (although the location is great, right next to a lake in which you can swim, great when it's 40°C during the day...) at the same time I've had quite a few issues with the crowd, who was more from the tekno scene than the psytrance scene, lots of them were the paranoid types like "why are you talking to me? are you a cop in disguise? are you a robber?" etc, others where outright rude so I didn't feel that easy around them. But on the other hand like I said, music-wise I've had a lot more pleasant surprises than the other 2 (maybe it was precisely that lack of decos and friendly people that made me want to spend more time on the dancefloor instead of wandering around and talking with people).

So yeah, to answer your question, spirit-wise, Lost Theory is definately a hands-down winner, but that's just one aspect which will make you miss out on other stuff ;)

I only spent 2 days in the castle/fortress town of Monemvasia in Southern Greece.

It's one of my favourite places ever... I love walking throught it's narrow streets at night under the moonlight... Bars close at 3am, so after that time it's like walking in a ghost town, total calmness.

Since I like this place so much, I also want to check Dubrovnik (the famous castle town in Croatia) but I think Monemvasia projects an eery yet calming feeling that's very unique.

I stayed home because I had some bureaucratic stuff to do (I have to demolish an old cement staircase in my house, have a balcony bulit in its place and also build a new staircase) but since it's the summer, architects, civil enginneers and the city council are under-working so hardly anything got done in terms of getting the permits ready. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I'm so stressed about finishing this fucking project quickly that everything else in my life is stationary, I'm not even in the mood for sex, because of it. :wacko: :wacko: :wacko::blink: :blink: :blink::wacko: :wacko: :angry: :angry:

Still, my nr 1 travelling spot is Indonesia and Guatemala...

How did you find Guatemala in terms of safety? I've travelled in India and SE Asia and with the exception of some parts of Bangok and other Super touristy places in Thailand, I felt it to be very safe overall.

However, I've always thought that Central and South America would be a different story.