Artist: Pusherstreet

Title: Can't Be Stopped EP

Label: Panzar Produktionz

Date: May, 2011

01 - Some New, Old (140 BPM)

02 - Cant Be Stopped (140 BPM)

03 - ZnowZtorm (140 BPM)

04 - Acid Test (140 BPM)

In part four of the series touch my 401k and I'll kick you in the crotch, brings Raz from Etnoscope and Liam from InYourPhaze. I just typed that and I have no idea what it says. I do know they are a Swedish progressive project and released their debut in 2009. Love the name and cover btw. This is released by a label that has more z's in it than my snoring. I really hope they don't sound the same. The promo reads 3 new tracks and one classic. Anyone else think we are a little to liberal with the word classic? Eleanor Rigby...classic. Stairway to Heaven...classic. Bohemian Rhapsody...classic I guess. Now there is a Pusherstreet classic? I dunno...

Some New, Old- Aside from a nice groove this is as empty as the News corp apology. Nothing's happening. There isn't a law that says you can't have it both ways. It's very minimal sounding and by minimal I mean boring.

Posted Image

Rupert is sad panda.

Can't Be Stopped- 11 f*cking minutes!?! Why not just shoot me with a horse tranquilizer? I love long tracks when they're interesting. This was anything but. No offense to the Japanese, but I was hoping for an earthquake to 7 minutes into this thing.

Posted Image

ZnowZtorm- What's with the f*cking z's? Ah, I like z's. They make you sound like you have a French accent. This is the most interesting track so far with more sounds but it still pales in comparison to..well a lot of stuff.

Acid Test- "You are freakin' out...man."

Maybe this is just party music. You know stuff to get the crowd hyped up before the main act. It bumps pretty well, but...sorry, I just nodded off.

How the f*ck did this get a 90% rating on Ekto? Family vote? And some of the comments...so psytrance? Acid shit? Look, I'm one guy with an opinion and hardly the authority on music. But I have listened to a sh*tload of psytrance and acid...this doesn't have any of those qualities. It's just one beat all the way through with very little to accompany it. I even went back and listened to it more often than usual just in case I just "didn't get it."

Posted Image

Yep, same result.

So for all that liked this, congratulations. I'm happy for you. To me it was boring and empty with nothing interesting at all. It's free so you can of course judge for yourself (which is ultimately how you should do it anyway.)

Ektoplazm

Mdk

• 2 weeks later...

okej sorry okej pusherstreet sucks, even if it supports Cristiania or not...

point taken.....did not want to make a whole forum just for this thing!.

I can take bad reviews, i wan tto have them...but this gave me nothing...sorry.

looking forward to see some other work of your...and if you think artist are rude and so,

well we are....but why review something you dont like fromt he tart...that ewas my point..we dropp this now..

hopa all ave a nice weeeknd..

Cheers!

Liam Dorff

Tank Fuel vol 3 free download at

www.ektoplazm.com

www.panzarproduktionz.com/Download.html

I haven't listened to the music itself, but I feel like commenting on the situation strictly connected with it. If moderators find it off-topic or non-review-ish, please feel free to delete this post - but please try to think about the words written here.

First of all, I'd like to salute to Trance2MoveU. Being a reivewer myself (Psytrance.pl) for over 10 years now I know it is a hard task. Conveying one's impressions and feelings regarding music is not always that easy as one could think. Moreover, "gluing" the reader to a review is ever more difficult. Trance2MoveU has his own specific style which I like, not to mention the time and stamina to provide reviews frequently. He managed to combine many elements (humor being among them) into one.

Secondly, I find it disgusting when I read comments made by artists (sic) like:

"Thanx for a very nice review, the only thing it gave me was that you by some reason dont like it...and thats a bad review."

- it not a bad review, it's just the bad attitude you're presenting here Mr Artist

"I got a question for u, when did you release anything, and where can i post about it. I will return the favour off course."

- wow, now that is malicious. Acting like a true artist indeed...

"Must be hard going around and beeing bitter all the time."

- must be hard being so hurt by a bunch of gifs and letters.

I could write or discuss about such bad attitude for hours without breaking a sweat, but it would a waste of time when it comes to stubborn people. Anyhow, I can sum it up in one sentence:

If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

For me an artist, when releasing something to the world, be it a music piece, a painting, a movie or whatever, subjects himself immediately to the whole world, full of different people and different opinions. Some people can like it, some people won't. Here Trance2MoveU was in the second group and he - as well as anyone else - should be respeced for having his own damn opinion (and I repeat: HIS OWN opinion), not bashed for it.

The situation I stumbled upon here (and it's not the first time I read such things from artists) is the proof that an artist does not deserve to be called an artist, as he proves himself to be weak in the eyes of others by making remarks such as the ones I pointed out above. An artists should be able to take both good and bad words about his creations. We have a saying that "good music will defend itself" - no matter what (some) people might think about it. If one review got you so hurt and made you write such immature things - then it must be weak. Moreover, showing such attitude is a perfect advertisement for an act - it just screams "pathetic". I respect artists who are over such things and can say: "thank you for the review, even though you didn't like it so much, I/we hope you'll like something else from our current/upcoming discography / we hope we'll do better next time to gain your support". The rest - well, they are and should be treated like cry-babies, not creative people with guts to handle something.

If you're wise - don't bother replying, just ponder deeply on the words above. However, if you dive into a fruitless discussion - just wait for the people here and finally mods to eat you up.

End of story.

Thank you Liam for your comment and to you Templar for coming to my defense. It's all taste. All of it. Some people like Venus de Milo and some wonder where the f*cking arms went. I didn't like this particular release Liam, so what? I'm one guy and by complaining about one guys opinion you do three things: One you sound like a primma donna that can't take criticism and two you give more power to my words than they actually have. Perhaps you're smart like a fox though as the third thing it does is bring attention to your release. Now people who might not have known about it will check it out and make up their own mind. That can't be bad, can it?

Mdk

I doubt everyone know what Christania in Copenhagen, Denmark is. Beside that aren't you from Sweden? So what's up with the Christania thing?

I am from Denmark and I do support a DRUG FREE Christiana and NOT a Pusher Street in Christania selling weed and dope! Pusher Street has been run by Hells Angels for years at Christania and has generated a lot of violence and dead. Nothing to support!

2nd. Learn to live with critique or stop releasing your music to the public.

i just think a review should be about the music and not how many Z a track titel is spelled wiht.

Yes we are from Sweden, but Raz is born and rasied in Christiana,

we support the whole Cristiania, not Pusherstreet, it only our project name.

S we do not want to glorify the drug market, our support goes to all Chrsitiania.

Okej i agree, it was the first revies i saw abaout our Cant Be Stopped..

I still think it was a wortlesss review..since it dont comment at all basicly on how the sounds are and what style it is.

Never heard a bad thing about Pushersteet project and only happy reponeses from people all over..

Well i can see both side of the this, i was wrong to send the reply..ive taken worse reviews than that.

SO i appologize.

But im getting upset when poeple think we do it for supporting the drugsales..e support the preservation of all CHRISTIANIA, always hav.

Dont hurt to read some thing baout us befor eyou post.

okej take cheers!

Liam

Man calling your project "Pusherstreet" and at the same time supporting Christiania (Nothing wrong with that) will instantly make those who know Christiania and The violent History of Pusher Street think you support drug sales on Christania.It's logic assumption looking at your name ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Man calling your project "Pusherstreet" and at the same time supporting Christiania (Nothing wrong with that) will instantly make those who know Christiania and The violent History of Pusher Street think you support drug sales on Christania.It's logic assumption looking at your name ;)

never ever heard someone talk about this, our name is simply Pusherstreet, we support Christiania in many ways,

we play often i copenhagen and recently in Helsingör, and never have this been a problem, but i will post our Pusherstreet presentation here

so people can read our history and judge for themselfs,logical assumption or not......we love the stuff we do.

and the fact that im Swedish does not make me any less supporter of Christiania, i was invited to join pusherstreet, the founder of the project is Rasmus, and i know he would agree with me but, he is at least Danish, if it makes any difference...

- About Pusherstreet -

The Pusherstreet project was initially founded in the years 2004-2005 by Rasmus

Alanne & Jesper Nilsson, who have been friends since they where teenagers. In 2005 Liam Dorff joined the project as a third member.

The trio have known each other since they first met at a party called "Tugga Metall" in their hometown Kristianstad in 1999. They have many good memories that connect them together, also in close connection with the already critically acclaimed project Etnoscope.

Jesper Nilsson then went for a musical break for about 18 months, but then came

back to the group to produce tracks together again.

The reason to choose "Pusherstreet" as the title for this project is connected to

the danish freetown Christiania -- Pusher Street is the name of a street inmidst

that district. Christiania used to be an open community with a tolerant culture,

friendly people and a lively vibe, in other words, a very nice place to be.

However, the danish government never wanted to accept this little city and despite

having kind of tolerated it in the past, over the last years it has become harder

and harder for Christiania to survive. The classical Pusher Street with its little

shops and charming life had to close and meanwhile the whole area is in danger to be practically run over with construction sites under the fake-fancy coat of

"restructuring" the place with modern architecture, when in truth the only motivation behind it is the money for the housing in the area!

Since Rasmus, Liam and Jesper have had really good memories from that place and know the trouble Christiania is in nowadays, they have decided to name their music project Pusherstreet as an honor to the good old times and to capture and preserve the vibe of this little city. And this can also be heard in the music. "Join us a walk down Pusherstreet" is one of their catchphrases...

However, this is not the only motivation behind their sound. Since the trio has

observed the progress and development in the psychedelic trance scene and has

witnessed that the sound overall turned from its originality and funky variety to a

sort of unninovative collage where often the only choice a listener has is to

either go for all-the-same-sounding fullon or for off-the-mill progressive, not

forgetting that many parties have turned all the way more commercial over time. To

be fair, one has to admit that there is still a certain number of really good

artists, however, after some time they discovered they're practically listening to

the same handful of artists over and over again.

They felt that the music has basically lost its freshness and its fun. And that's why they decided to found this project, to bring back the originality, creativity and pulsating positivity that trance music used to be known for! And so they created their own new, fresh, funky and biting progressive sound that is easily accesible and goes straight to the heart, making people dance. Free of commerciality and fake-emotionality that unfortunately have infected parts of the trance scene of today they created their "Umpa Umpa, with a twist"-sound to bring back the positivity and the fun within progressive trance!

• 2 weeks later...

Christania is saved and they have reached an agreement with the Government, But Pusherstreet is still a weird name IMO as it refer to a extremely criminal street in Christiania controlled by Hells Angels in the 80's and 90's and later by extremely violent immigration gangs..

The name Pusherstreet says it all. A street where hard drugs, weapons and of course weed (controlled by psychopaths) was sold daily to junkies and other criminals. Pusher Street was never liked by the original founders of Christiania and alot of people living there and till this day they still want it long gone.

I think you glorify the worse part of Christiania choosing that name. But of course that's my personal opinion.

Well the name was choosen as an tribute to the freespirit of the freetown and that special little street within.

Christania and the original Pusherstreet was unique in all of the world, not only becouse of the soft drugs, but the philosophy.

It was never our intention to refer to any organised crime syndicates with the Pusherstreet name.

But rather to give tribute to the hippies whom defended Christiania in all those early years when the police tried to kick out the occupants.

As a matter of fact the syndicates you mention, tried to take control of Pusherstreet and Christania in the early 80's.

But they were thrown out by the community of Christania. And back in the 70's when heroin hit Copenhagen and Christania.

The addicts were given a choice. To go clean with the help of the Christania community, and stay.

Or simply get kicked out, and baned from Christania untill clean.

The overall philosophy of Christania and Pusherstreet. has allways been to say NO to hard drugs, and to promote personal freedoms.

This is what we want to honor. Also you've gotta admit Pusherstreet has a certain ring to it:)

As for the whole present condition of Christania and Pusherstreet, and the whishes of those who live within.

I only know a handfull of people still living there, and none of those want the degree of organised crime involvement flourishing today.

But they do still want Pusherstreet, only just the way it used to be...

And about the review, everybody is entitled their opinion and i fully support every indiviuals right to share theirs.

But if you are writing a review please flesh it out a bit, so one might get an idea of the vibe, production and style of music (at least).

/raz (etnoscope/pusherstreet)

Wow, this really turned into a great discussion and educated me about something I knew nothing about. Thanks to all involved. Here I just thought Pusherstreet was a cool sounding name.

As far as "fleshing it out" a bit...didn't sad Rupert Murdoch, hiding under a desk and repetitive Ralph do that? I think I made it perfectly clear in print and picture that IMHO it was boring . That was the vibe I got. It's never personal, and I'm not here to attack the artist. Just writing a review explaining how the music made me feel and trying to entertain.

Thanks to Raz and Liam for their comments and the information about the genesis of your name. Very informative.

Mdk

Well the name was choosen as an tribute to the freespirit of the freetown and that special little street within.

Christania and the original Pusherstreet was unique in all of the world, not only becouse of the soft drugs, but the philosophy.

But this is where you are totally wrong and have somehow misunderstood the History of Christiania. Pusherstreet was never started or accepted by the original hippies who founded Christiania. They always, and correctly, thought it would only bring trouble. Pusherstreet was started by outsiders coming into Christiania to sell soft-drugs and later some of them started to live in Christiania and the rest is history with Hell Angels controlling the soft drug market during the 80's and 90's with all the violence happening and later the immigration gangs took over with even more violence.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy cow, how could I actually miss this release? I'm shocked, but it did happen. I remember I had registered that it was released, thought I'd put it on a to do list to listen (and review), but that list obviously got squandered somewhere so that I must have forgotten about it. And that was also the reason why I wasn't looking in here, because I said to me "wait, I'll first listen, make my own opinion and then see what people say". That must have come to this that I missed practically everyhing so far. Terrible, terrible. Usually it's not like that though, fortunately :P

Anyway, guys, it's fine to get to know such a lot of the Pusherstreet group history here (after all I knew that history before ;) ), but if you want to talk about the situation of Christiania, please do it in another thread.

It's enough to state that the name Pusherstreet was picked in reference to Christiania ... and regardless concerning what goes on there, I find the name damn awesome! What else captures the essence of the sound of this group more than PUSHERSTREET? As I first came across this project, I didn't know at all what the name actually means, I just found it damn awesome and fitting to the sound, because "pushing" it is for sure - and that's what it still is to me.

Judging from the posts - as some of you obviously desired another review for this, let me try give it a go :)

The release contains four tracks.

Of we go with "Something New, Old". This track was obviously originally called "Something Old, Something New" ... at least that was the title of the alpha version that I luckily got to hear some time ago (weee, I finally can talk about this, hehe ^_^ ). The latter had been on my mp3 player for quite some time already and it was a perfect tune to run to. It's the same with this, but this sounds much better because it has the element of a changing bassline that makes the whole sound somehow melt into itself where the sum of things is greater than its parts. The whole song is starting off quite basic, with a simple structure that builds and gets more and more bold over time (even though it doesn't change) until to the point where the bassline changes, the effects shift a few keys and the whole thing suddenly gains an integrity that is quite cool. What I like about this is the range of things that Pusherstreet showcase to be done with a relatively simple song structure and simple elements.

The second track "Can't Be Stopped" is the classic that the release text suggested. That is the explanation for the people who don't know. People who know will not need an explanation because they instantly recognize this from the Goagemiein.de compilation "Groove In Progress". As I am counting myself to the latter, this track is old news for me, I know it like my legs, who are shaking to this as they can't sit still to it. It's not a fast track, but it has got a nice groove. "Pusherstreet can't be stopped!" - what a catch line. It's the same slogan as on the sticker that is pictured on the cover. I have already asked and I was told these were real stickers that were handed out to the public to raise awareness for Pusherstreet in Christiania. Anybody still has one of them? I take it - and put it on my bicycle, anytime. I'm serious. If you got one, PM me :)

After that, it's time for a "ZnowZtorm". Is that the voice of a Wookie sampled at the beginning? Or wait, when it's a SnowStorm then that must be the Star Wars Yeti. Hold on, it IS the Star Wars Yeti (and even if it's not, it sounds a lot like it - compared with youtube right now)! How cool is that?! See, that is an exact example for the cool humour these guys sometimes have in their tracks - that's one more reason for me to like this project so much. Nothing tells me "shut up, dance and be happy" in a better, fresher, funnier and more fitting way than this music. And the track is perfect. Jump around, wiggle the melody around, smile. And on winter days, you can have fun in the snow. It is that good ^_^

And then it's already time for the last track - "Acid Test". And hey, I do recognize this one - yes indeed, that was the one I repeatedly played the track snippet on Myspace and kept my neighbours up with it, I liked it so much. "License and Registration!" ... just a perfect sample - perfect because I recently had the joy to drive across Austria as a passenger of a guy who had, guess what, no driver's license. Hahaha! I'd have shat my pants if the cops came. Which they didn't. And it's great to have the full track now! It is the most intense one on this release, with a lot of power on the synths. The "acid" in the title isn't there for nothing. I like how at the beginning the melody is simple, builds and then it's like the main one kind of breaks through with a blast.

The music of Pusherstreet is not complex. It is simple, yet the guys manage to do a lot with these simple elements. Also, the melody and rhythm combine very well, they are practically one, you can't seperate them, it all works together and is integrated very tightly and skillfully. And that is why I find this to be great art.

Others might think differently, but I find this awesome. Sure, it's nothing to lie on the couch with closed eyes and pay attention to every layer. Come down from the complexity. Why not doing your favourite sports to it? You gonna love it. At least I do :)

Overall: awesome release. And a big shame that I had missed it from the start. Doesn't matter, it'll get enough spins on my player now :)

Get it from Ektoplazm ;)