Another daft darkpsy argument

Rotwang

You're just sour grapes someone's not speaking highly of darkpsy.

Yes, keep saying that. That way you won't have to respond to the actual points I've made.

I think it sounds bad...like really really bad to make me laugh instead of being spooked by its

"darkness" lol

Incredible. It's as if your skull is completely impervious to being penetrated by facts. Sucks to be you.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also find most darkpsy to be very cheesy.

Those devil/damon covers are hilarious...

It's a genre that wants to be dark but can't quite accomplish it nowhere near the level some others do, wants

to be hard and fast hitting but doesn't quite accomplish it like others do either....a total wannabe genre with some

exceptions here and there.

I find nothing dark or scary about it. It's like a very bad horror movie that is so bad that it's actually funny.

By the way, production is also very amateurish...

You know it's fascinating that both me and Rotwang, two darkpsy fans that have bought and listened hundreds of darkpsy albums all these years can't find that satanic/devil albums/groups you mention, but people who don't like darkpsy seem to know every one of them.

Incredible. It's as if your skull is completely impervious to being penetrated by facts. Sucks to be you.

Perhaps facts that everyone is entitled to their own taste and opinion, that they are free to express them in forums such as this one did not penetrate yours?

Here's something really funny:

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=7533

Check out the cheesy cover and Hardcore/Gabber wannabe promotional text:

"Established in 2008, Red Magik Records (USA) is the branch of Thee Magik Family of labels and artists dedicated to in your face, heart stopping sound terror. Red like blood and lust and the high end of the meter, Red Magik delivers boundary breaking, tempo peaking sound destroyers for the DJ and discerning listener of extreme and experimental dance music. Not for the light of heart. With Speed Demons Vol. 1 - Censorship is Uncool, Thee Magik Family sets a new standard for psychedelic audio destruction. This is not music for hippie fucks who need to edit out swear words from their sets to keep from upsetting their clan of falsely enlightened psychedelic hipster fans."

You know it's fascinating that both me and Rotwang, two darkpsy fans that have bought and listened hundreds of darkpsy albums all these years can't find that satanic/devil albums/groups you mention, but people who don't like darkpsy seem to know every one of them.

Well, there are certainly a few darkpsy artists and labels that make Satanic/horror-inspired stuff, just as there were some old-school Goa acts that did likewise. They're a small minority in both cases. But just like the "darkpsy is random" meme, the "darkpsy is Satanic" thing got made up by some ignorant fuck and has since been repeated ad infinitum by other ignorant fucks.

Perhaps facts that everyone is entitled to their own taste and opinion, that they are free to express them in forums such as this one did not penetrate yours?

Here's something really funny:

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=7533

Check out the cheesy cover and Hardcore/Gabber wannabe promotional text:

"Established in 2008, Red Magik Records (USA) is the branch of Thee Magik Family of labels and artists dedicated to in your face, heart stopping sound terror. Red like blood and lust and the high end of the meter, Red Magik delivers boundary breaking, tempo peaking sound destroyers for the DJ and discerning listener of extreme and experimental dance music. Not for the light of heart. With Speed Demons Vol. 1 - Censorship is Uncool, Thee Magik Family sets a new standard for psychedelic audio destruction. This is not music for hippie fucks who need to edit out swear words from their sets to keep from upsetting their clan of falsely enlightened psychedelic hipster fans."

Well, there are certainly a few darkpsy artists and labels that make Satanic/horror-inspired stuff, just as there were some old-school Goa acts that did likewise. They're a small minority in both cases. But just like the "darkpsy is random" meme, the "darkpsy is Satanic" thing got made up by some ignorant fuck and has since been repeated ad infinitum by other ignorant fucks.

Like I said a million times before the satanic/horror darkpsy groups are like the 5% of the genre. Maybe even less. Calling a whole genre satanic by judging that 5% is moronic, plain and simple.

Apparently visine has ZERO knowledge about darkpsy and he's just trolling.

That the majority of darkpsy has nothing to do with Satanism or horror is not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of fact. For example, here are 10 darkpsy albums 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10. They weren't cherry-picked by me; I just looked at the Goastore front page, and added every darkpsy album there to the list. There were only 9, so I also added the first darkpsy album I saw in the "customers who bought this product also purchased" box. Of the 10 albums, one has artwork that is either Satanic or horror-themed. Another has the word "death" in the title. The rest have nothing whatsoever to do with Satanism or horror.

With regards to freedom of expression, of course you are free to post your ill-informed opinions to psynews, just as I am free to point out how ill-informed they are.

Yes, a single example definitely proves that all darkpsy is Satanic. Much like the track titles on this album prove that all Goa trance is horror-themed. But maybe that was just an unfair example, right? I had to pick an obscure Goa album that nobody has ever heard of to prove my point. Are there any other Goa trance albums with horror titles or horror samples? I can only think of other esoteric releases that you probably don't know about, like this.

listened to a little bit of dark psy stuff and I gotta say, it's not the most interesting genre in the world.. doesn't seem like there's much going on in any of the tracks really.

Exactly my point....be careful though, they migh attack you stating that it is incorrect to say there isn't much going on

in the tracks. It doesn't jive with their darkpsy agenda.

It may be tough for them to understand that it is your taste and opinion.

With regards to freedom of expression, of course you are free to post your ill-informed opinions to psynews, just as I am free to point out how ill-informed they are.

I think darkpsy is cheesy.

That is my opinion and taste...I decide how informed it will be before I make that judgement, not you.

That is my opinion and taste...I decide how informed it will be before I make that judgement, not you.

That is your opinion.

Saying that darkpsy is satanic or random though isn't an opinion. It's bullshit.

Exactly my point...

Funny how your point seems to have changed at least twice in the space of this thread.

.be careful though, they migh attack you stating that it is incorrect to say there isn't much going on

in the tracks. It doesn't jive with their darkpsy agenda.

It may be tough for them to understand that it is your taste and opinion.

Nope. Notice that nobody disagreed with Tom!'s post? There's a reason for that.

I don't think DP is satanic, but no one can deny that it's the psy subgenre that has made use of "horror" images, sounds and words more than any other.

You hardly see a cover, a title or sounds that is related to good feelings. Of course, there must be some. But the vast majority is related

to diseases, mental conditions, bad health, death, crimes, confusion, sadness. Well, darkness.

Before I get hit by stones: I am neutral about dark, if I am at a party and someone plays some dark tracks, I will dance to it. I love some Mubali tracks, for

instance. But I won't buy or have DP on my Ipod. It is a matter of energy, to me.

Right, and you presumably noticed that I didn't disagree with your opinion that darkpsy is cheesy. Instead I disagreed with your statements that darkpsy is random and darkpsy is Satanic, neither of which is a subjective judgement. You can't back those up, since they're false, so you're reduced to pretending I disagreed with something other than what I actually disagreed with. It's very dishonest, and utterly unsurprising.

I don't think DP is satanic, but no one can deny that it's the psy subgenre that has made use of "horror" images, sounds and words more than any other.

You hardly see a cover, a title or sounds that is related to good feelings. Of course, there must be some. But the vast majority is related

to diseases, mental conditions, bad health, death, crimes, confusion, sadness. Well, darkness.

Before I get hit by stones: I am neutral about dark, if I am at a party and someone plays some dark tracks, I will dance to it. I love some Mubali tracks, for

instance. But I won't buy or have DP on my Ipod. It is a matter of energy, to me.

As a longtime darkpsy follower I have to disagree. Like Rotwang said the vast majority in darkpsy is about science/pseudoscience, drugs, eastern culture and yes darkness, but not in the evil way.

Check out the 10 randomly-selected examples I posted above. It's probably true that the majority of Satanic/horror-themed psytrance is darkpsy, but it's absolutely false that the majority of darkpsy is Satanic/horror-themed.

Instead I disagreed with your statements that darkpsy is random and darkpsy is Satanic, neither of which is a subjective judgement.

To me a lot of darkpsy sounds like random noise.

That is not an objective judgement. That is my opinion and taste.

Sure, not all Darkpsy is Satanic but pretty much all of satanic themes in Psy scene do fall under Darkpsy...most of it I find cheesy

As a longtime darkpsy follower I have to disagree. Like Rotwang said the vast majority in darkpsy is about science/pseudoscience, drugs, eastern culture and yes darkness, but not in the evil way.

That's how you interpret it.

You do seem to have trouble with other people's interpretation and somehow think yours is correct and other people's interpretations are not.

How boring would art be if everyone perceived it in the same way?

That's how you interpret it.

You do seem to have trouble with other people's interpretation and somehow think yours is correct and other people's interpretations are not.

How boring would art be if everyone perceived it in the same way?

Do you know what 'interpretation' means?

If a cover shows buddha you can't interpret that it shows devil. It's Buddha. It's a fact.

If a track's title is Time & Space and you interpret Satan Loves you, it's your problem not the artist's.

Bottom line. You're a typical darkpsy hater. You use all the arguments haters use and can't back up your facts.

I hate to be a darkpsy defender, especially since darkpsy isn't even my favorite psy genre, but it's sad that in 2011 there are still people who bash darkpsy as random noises-satan music.

If you don't like it that's ok. But please next time use valid arguments.

It's also a completely different statement to "darkpsy is random".

Anyway, as long as you're now talking about your subjective opinion rather than objective facts then I'm happy to let it drop if you are.

Sure, not all Darkpsy is Satanic but pretty much all of satanic themes in Psy scene do fall under Darkpsy...most of it I find cheesy

Why don't you admit an incorrect or inaccurate use of the English language in your original post when you said that darkpsy IS random. It's not, period. If it sounds random to you, well, like Rotwang said, that's fine. It's your opinion or taste, not a fact. A fact is, that darkpsy isn't random, although it may sound random to people, including you.

About (all) darkpsy being "satanic". Again, you're wrong. What is "satanic" by the way? The cover of the "Speed Demon" compilation? To me that looks more like some kind of Japanese painting, possibly depicting a (malevolent?) deity, maybe an Oni. That has nothing to do with being satanistic. You shouldn't be so quick at making generalizations, as that is almost always a sign of either people having no clue about the topics they're talking about, their lack of ability to delve into something, or the lack of interest to do so. Another case would be trolling, of course. In any of those cases, people should refrain from posting in the first place...imo.

The problem in this case is - at least in my opinion - that Rotwang seems to be a rather "exact" person, which is possibly related to his interest in science :) In this discussion about your statement, that "darkpsy IS random/incoherent", Rotwang and Ormion used nothing else than arguments based on facts, and you did not.

I just want to put it out there that I think Darkpsy is fantastic and highly complex intelligent music. It takes some getting into, some actual listening, not hearing. A lot of your criticisms Visine do sound exactly like the way my Dad talks about electronic music as a whole, "it's random noise" etc, every genre of psytrance presumes that you will listen intently in order to achieve the desired translation from the artist. Darkpsy is the only sub-genre of psytrance that entrances me in a similar way to Goa, especially forest, it is wonderful music if you get into it. And I genuinely think it's false to say that darkpsy in general tries to be cheesily spooky. Every single genre in the world has poor acts, jumping on the bandwagon and trying to make cash out of people. I've heard some stupid evil stuff but in order to get into it you clearly listen to the high quality outputs, which are by far more prevalent in this sub-genre than any other imo.

I simply fail to see how Kindzadza, Osom/Psykovsky, Cosmo, Kashyyyk etc are trying to do anything other than produce high quality, fast, psychedelic and entrancing music. It's anything but random.

This whole debate is stupid (IMO of course) as it basically again comes down to taste and nothing else. I am also not a fan of dark or forestpsy. I respect people's taste but to me it seem you guys try way too hard to convince those who does not like it that it's amazing and fantastic music. Yes to you it is but no it's not to those who do not like it. Quite simple :)

I agree that every genre has it's cliches. Heck the Goa genre has it's share of shanti "spiritual" pseudo titles which I admit I also used when I was "young" and "green" in this scene. Today I can only smile at a title like "Ganesh" or "Trancelestial Psychobabas" but at the time I did not really look at the titles the way I do today. It was the way it was and everybody used such titles - so did I without ever being into Ganesh, religion etc. But at the end of the day it was and is the music speaking - not the title even though the title does play some sort of role. Today I am way more aware of my titles thanks to maturity and knowing myself and my music much better and could never dream of using such titles again. I guess I stay more true to who I am today - a non religious, non hippie guy from Denmark who happen to have music making as his life-long passion.

This whole debate is stupid (IMO of course) as it basically again comes down to taste and nothing else. I am also not a fan of dark or forestpsy. I respect people's taste but to me it seem you guys try way too hard to convince those who does not like it that it's amazing and fantastic music. Yes to you it is but no it's not to those who do not like it. Quite simple :)

At last some voice of reason. 100% agreed.