What Did You Buy Today?

Redington

• 4 weeks later...

Finally bought an external hard drive. 2TB so I can rip all my music in wav to it as back up.

Now the process of ripping everything begins!

Posted Image

It's pretty small for a 2TB HDD but it's really heavy.

What I don't get though is, when I plugged it in, it shows up as 1.8TB. Now I get that when something is 10GB it might show up as 9.8GB as part of it is taken up with it's own software, but does this need 200GB of installation software? What am I missing here?

Finally bought an external hard drive. 2TB so I can rip all my music in wav to it as back up.

Now the process of ripping everything begins!

Posted Image

It's pretty small for a 2TB HDD but it's really heavy.

What I don't get though is, when I plugged it in, it shows up as 1.8TB. Now I get that when something is 10GB it might show up as 9.8GB as part of it is taken up with it's own software, but does this need 200GB of installation software? What am I missing here?

It's gonna be some serious ripping, an epic journey :P

Have you considered using other lossless formats such as flac or is that not an option? You would save you a lot HD-space in the long run, but of course it has to fit with your use.

About the size, I pretty much think that is how it is... It's always seems to be around 10% less than you would think (according to manufactures), I think I have heard something about it was the way you calculate bites and bytes and all that shit, but have NO clue if that even makes the slightest sense?! But it really sucks no mater what!

@Abasio: it is because for your computer 1TB = 2^40 Bytes, but for the hard drive manufacturer 1TB = 10^12 Bytes. Your computer uses binary math to compute the available space, while the harddrive manufacturer uses base 10 calculations in order to make it easier to understand because we are more accustomed to think in powers of 10

http://compreviews.a...tualHDSizes.htm

@Abasio: it is because for your computer 1TB = 2^40 Bytes, but for the hard drive manufacturer 1TB = 10^12 Bytes. Your computer uses binary math to compute the available space, while the harddrive manufacturer uses base 10 calculations in order to make it easier to understand because we are more accustomed to think in powers of 10

http://compreviews.a...tualHDSizes.htm

That is a nice way to it :P It has properly has more to do with sales than convenience, but I guess if the competition does it would be dangerous not to do it. I still think it sounds like a mild form of consumer-deception...

I'm just using this as a back up so I thought WAV would be easier as it's what's on the CD already right? :unsure:

Very true, but I think various programmes convert wav->flac and vice versa, but of course I have no idea if any information is lost in the process, I would not think so though, how could it be loss-less then?! :P

I found one that will do it now. But it's taking 5 times as long and the size is 2/3 that of WAV.

Thinking of continuing with WAV at this rate. Maybe I can batch convert in the future :lol:

I bought Final Fantasy 13, been meaning to do that since launch.. though I can't believe how it's sold out just about everywhere and still goes for 20+ euros inland for the damn platinum versions. :ph34r: Goddamn.

Also couple of days ago one of these

Posted Image

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Posted Image

Bought some portable speakers. Got them second hand for about half the retail price and it is practically brand new :)

It was hidden away behind some kids crap too, so I was very lucky to find it in the second hand shop that I was only in because it was cold outside waiting for my bus. I'd been wanting to buy these speakers for a while now but was umming and ahhing over the price because as good as they are they are not work the 46,000yen they retail for here. Getting them for 20,000yen was much more agreeable :)

I love when that sort of thing happens.. :D I would like some nice portable speakers as well for the summer, well not in a hurry I guess, maybe I should do the same!

I bought this and it's on its way home to me:

Posted Image

damn... huge image!

So far I can recommend these however the price they go for new is a little steep. As it's Bose they have priced them about $100 more than they're worth. Still I couldn't find any other speakers that were this small with sound quality this good. The professional reviews always recommended the Logitec Wireless Boombox over these as having similar sound and being half the price however when i saw it in the shop it's fucking huge. No way I'd ever take it anywhere and especially I wouldn't be able to fit it in my work bag: I've been struggling recently in training for new recruits we have half a day where they have the sales training and there is lots of samples to hear, the CD player in the training branch is the worst piece of shit ever, I've been using my mp3 player hooked up to tiny speakers that also hasn't been going so well so I am hoping I can use these as well and make that part of my month less painful.