4 Psychic Curse

5 Trip to Kuros

6 Eye can see you (Original mix)

7 Regain Control

8 Myself in the mirror

9 The Alpha and The Omega

10 Exhumed

11 A blessing journey

The man of 1,000 aliases Filipe Santos is back with his 2nd release under the Amithaba Buddha moniker. Just to keep score here are some of his other projects:

Acid Storm

Beast303

Bit-Head

Knight Of The Light

Lost Buddha

Pandemonium!

Projekt Khoff-U

Räma

I think it's great that he has all these different names so that he can separate the different styles of music he creates. And if you visit this site frequently (as most of you who are reading this do) then you will never miss a new release from him. Whether you like him or hate him there is no denying his talent as a music producer. His goa trance is powerful and uber-melodic with layer upon layer of goodness. Goa Gate (his debut album under the Amithaba Buddha name) was absolutely great. As a lover of goa trance I was eagerly anticipating the release and couldn't wait to get my hands on it. It was released by Phototropic Records and they just keep on going with great release after release. The cover has a Buddha on it with very appealing colors.

The Ritual Begins- A breakbeat intro with chopped up chants and middle eastern melodies. This sets the stage for what is about to come.

Ankh- Dancing leads with numerous layers seamlessly weaving their way around each other. This begins where Goa Gate left off. The break allows a new lead to dominate and 303 madness ensues. I love the middle eastern melodies. Bliss.

Dancing With The Winds- This seems to be lighter fare without the craziness, but delicious nonetheless. His signature lead sound is represented here as well, twisting and turning. Pretty darn good.

Psychic Curse- I love the reverb and how each sound finds its way into the mix. Nothing abrupt, just smooth transitions. The lead has some Nitzho qualities reminiscent of his Rama project and that isn't a bad thing. Just more melodic leads stacked upon each other with a mystical feeling. He balances the highs and lows really well. Awesome.

Trip To Kuros- This track was released awhile ago but fits in here very well. The lead creeps in and that melody gets company and gives that goa vibe I love. Good key change that lasts only seconds. The way he builds melodies and then allows one layer to smoothly replace another is quite impressive. Near the end the 303 reminds me of Colorbox which I think would be a compliment. What a toe-tapper!

Eye Can See You (Original mix)- A mix of this was on last year's brilliant Artificial Sun compilation. Layers upon layers greet the ears right up to the short lived break. Again he does that small key change in the melody (which is welcome) and even more layers are added to the mix. He sure knows his way around a 303. This is just what I want in my goa trance.

Regain Control- I love the way the lead continues through the break as stabs uphold the atmospheric feeling. A new lead joins and is then thickened, sending us on our way. Quality, just quality.

Myself In The Mirror- This track has the same leads that have been heard before, but with more of a nod towards psy. The break is beautiful with plenty of reverb and a soft instrument creating a heavenly feeling. The 303 is still active lest you think he became Alien Project. More layers fill out the track making it quite the mover.

The Alpha and the Omega- This track makes me feel like I am in the Himalayas contemplating the meaning of the universe. The track growls with a bass sound as twisted melodies shake above me. More Nitzho style is present here and is just flows well. The melodies have a scrambling quality always trying to reach higher. Another great track mixing goa trance and Nitzhonot.

Exhumed- This seems to be a slower track maybe more mid-tempo. Still complete with extensive layering and slight key change. Little sounds that peek in from behind the melodies really fatten this up. Great atmosphere maker. Pure goa.

A Blessing Journey- As we come to the end of this journey, this track seems to be keenly aware of the situation. Not aggressive nor Arabic key scary, just resolved to let the sun set on another inspiring day. Melodies in place as if to say job well done. Great ending.

Freakin' Outstanding. It just drips with goa sensations. If you liked Goa Gate then you will love this. It is more of the same stacking of beautiful layers of melody while never losing that goa vibe. I kept waiting for that one track to be a letdown, but it never came. It is mystical and worthy of being labeled some of the best new school goa out there. When people talk of the masters of today's goa, he should be right up there with Filteria, E-mantra, Radical Distortion, and Liquid Flow. The sounds are magical and I cannot get enough of this. You get over 1 hour and 15 minutes of spiraling melodies which cannot be beat. Some might say "This is just Goa Gate part II." To which I would say....exactly :)

P.S. Thank you Phototropic for releasing this. If you have anymore of the Buddha lying around to make another album, I will be first in line.

Goastore

Beatspace

Psyshop

Mdk

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Do you like goa? Do you like blissful layers of middle eastern harmonies interwoven within a complex framework of exceptional composition? Do you like to feel the music you listen to? Look no further... this album is everything you want. This is pure goa. I've never been one to give a track by track review of an album because each album should be a mystical journey to explore with your mind, without any precent. Get a copy of this album before you can't find it anymore... fantastic work Filipe. I will also be in line for whatever you produce next as I am a fan for life.