There Will Be Blood

Ormion

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0469494/

I watched this film for the second time yesterday and I have to say that it is one of the best movies I've ever watched.

Massterful direction, masterful soundtrack and increbible acting from Lewis and Dano.

It's a movie about greed. From every side.

It's really sad it lost the oscar for best picture from No Country For Old Men.

I didn't like it because it seemed to be building toward something it never reached. The soundtrack built up so much tension that the movie just never delivered. At the end I was like "uh...that's it?"

There was no climax, it just kind of ended.

Fucking great movie. Loved how an otherwise traditional movie went artsy at the very end. Reminded me of Kubrick. And Daniel Day-Lewis was amazing in it. That was an unusually great time for films (I really liked No Country for Old Men, too). Another recommended one from that period is The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

Fucking great movie. Loved how an otherwise traditional movie went artsy at the very end. Reminded me of Kubrick. And Daniel Day-Lewis was amazing in it. That was an unusually great time for films (I really liked No Country for Old Men, too). Another recommended one from that period is The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

Except for that last one - haven't seen it - I agree completely. Damn Otto, sometimes I don't have to express myself adequately cause you did it for me. Nice.

Loved this movie, it might be time for a rewatch. Brilliant stuff.

I thought this was a remarkable movie. Very atypical, and Daniel Day Lewis' performance is one for the hall of fame.

The soundtrack is brilliant, and nothing short of that. My sister told me that the guy who composed the music is usually a rock guitar player in some band or something(???)

The overall atmosphere of the movie was macabre, the character development and interaction was amazing. I found it a very introspective and claustrophobic movie, despite a heavy usage of wide and open spaces. I also thought it was one of the better pictures I've seen in recent times.

Great movie indeed.

For me it was all about the main character. He is not some superficial bad guy. Sure, he is a very dislikeable person by normal moral standards, but quite often I did sympathize with him, more or less. That is what the movie was about for me... It's a moral dilemma.

Do I really hate almost everything about the main character, like maybe I should... or do I secretly relate to parts of his character and enjoy some of the bad things he did... I think most people do, more than they want to admit.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0469494/

I watched this film for the second time yesterday and I have to say that it is one of the best movies I've ever watched.

Massterful direction, masterful soundtrack and increbible acting from Lewis and Dano.

It's a movie about greed. From every side.

It's really sad it lost the oscar for best picture from No Country For Old Men.

One of my all-time favorite movies.

• 2 weeks later...

Love it. The cinematography, theme, pacing, soundtrack, era, but especially for his character. I Love the way he speaks, it reminds me quite a bit of Hugo Weaving as Agent Smith in "The Matrix".

• 6 months later...

I didn't like it because it seemed to be building toward something it never reached. The soundtrack built up so much tension that the movie just never delivered. At the end I was like "uh...that's it?"

There was no climax, it just kind of ended.

The film wasn't really climactical(it was almost a documentary) in approach. As partial testament to this fact is that I'd probably have enjoyed it just as much watching the sequence of events in reverse. It also could have been chopped up and gone backwards and forwards in time without losing too much. Sure it had a sense of natural progression but imo this took a back seat to the film's atmospheres, characters, themes, scenes and it's moods that were present in every single moment. These for me were mesmerising and "climaxing" from the very start to the finish. The vast open spaces always as a back-drop to contrast with the focused claustrophobia of the main character portraying the neurotic, aggressive, greedy, destructive and vampiristic cut-throat ego white-man with religion in and out of his pocket capitalist business paradigm that has made the planet what it is today. That's also why Agent Smith from the Matrix and the main character from there Will Be Blood remind me of one another(despite the fact they both talk the same way) because they are both representative of the "System". The system has been successfully used......

But to agree to a small degree with what you said, I'd maybe have considered ending it differently.

***********Minor Spoiler Warning**********

From the point where he is in his grand mansion onwards, the film got a little bit weaker for me. It was still good. But ending this movie would have been a little bit tricky or awkward because we are still living this present situation in modern life. That's another reason why the movie had no seeming resolution. We are still in this movie. I'd be curious to know if the director had any other considerations that perhaps bucked linearity and tradition. This may have made it too abstract for some. In some regard what he achieved is a credit to the producer as he still made it accessible to the mainstream allowing it to receive awards and acclaim. He still got his message and artistic vision across without having it sink into obscurity or be received with disdain.

Anyhow, I haven't seen it for awhile now and my opinion of movies often changes so my above views are by no means set in stone.

Jon =)