Belgian trance?

Lemmiwinks

Well I've always been amazed by some really nice tunes in so-called "retro-house parties" here in Belgium. The DJs would play some crap and then all of a sudden a BEAUTIFUL trance track would play I'd be like "where the hell did that come from???". Searching for these tracks is pretty difficult cause most of them aren't specifically released as being trance, they're just put as "belgian techno" (as if that were a genre lol)

Anyway, I've managed to track down some of my favorites, if anyone else can give me their inputs it would be cool ;)

DJ Philip - Too Deep

CM - Dream Universe

Phi Phi and Greg D - Jesus Trip

The McKenzie - Without You

Hitch Hiker and Dumont - Raindrops

DJ Gert - Magic Symphony

i used to be a big fan of trance

your first song push, as been on dj sets for almost a decade

as well as dream universe, lol, it reminds me my old time

oh my god The house of house, lol, but its not that artist i think that v done that

If you wants so good trance, go see the oldest tiesto compilation, armin van buuren state of trance, paul van dyk

yep i used to love those trance dj's

one of my favorite tracks, well from that time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM00MRtd7c4

http://www.djmag.com/index.php?op=top100dj...00dj_op=results

Try to hunt down old Dream Dance (yes, that commercial trance compilation) CDs.

Mostly that kind of music can be found on them and they're mostly available for cheap in used record stores and such where trance kiddies sold their old CDs ... or maybe through ebay...

You might want to give old Future Trance a go aswell ... my release of Push - Universal Nation is on Future Trance volume 6. Used to like that track a lot.

blue alphabet - cybertrance

franky jones - overwhelming rain

Belgium trance = bonzai records.

The trio Axel Stephenson, Frederico Santini, frank sels(franky jones) are responisble for most of the projects.

They ruled the belgian electronic scene from 92 till 2000.

Belgium trance (= also rave, hardtrance, hardcore) in the early days, is mostly inspired by the frankfurt rave sound, although the belgian sound is much harder and more experimental, focusing more on harcore, probably an influence from the hardcore coming from holland. I'd say it's a mix of the hardcore from holland and frankfurt rave, with some "bad sound quality" herbs. Most of the belgian tracks are garbage when listened sober, but oooh sooooo much fun on that good E we can make here. That's all that was needed back then. Later on (98-2002) it changed to more poppy crowdpleasers, like push - universal, but it never came to a unique belgian sound, like bonzai. They were influenced by the upcoming epic trance sound from holland (Tiesto, ferry corsten).

The trio Axel Stephenson, Frederico Santini, frank sels(franky jones) are responisble for most of the projects.

Belgium trance (= also rave, hardtrance, hardcore) in the early days, is mostly inspired by the frankfurt rave sound, although the belgian sound is much harder and more experimental, focusing more on harcore, probably an influence from the hardcore coming from holland. I'd say it's a mix of the hardcore from holland and frankfurt rave, with some "bad sound quality" herbs. Most of the belgian tracks are garbage when listened sober, but oooh sooooo much fun on that good E we can make here. That's all that was needed back then. Later on (98-2002) it changed to more poppy crowdpleasers, like push - universal, but it never came to a unique belgian sound, like bonzai. They were influenced by the upcoming epic trance sound from holland (Tiesto, ferry corsten).

ah thanks mate! Indeed most of those came from Bonzai, although they put out a lot of crap as well IMO... it's funny looking back on the scene how many different styles coexisted in the same clubs, it's unthinkable to have that today IMO :)

booooonnnnnZaa ta ta ta TA!

Jesus Trip :lol:

The McKenzie= :lol: :lol: :lol: Jessy ft... Kelly ft... haha man that was the shit! :lol:

2Fabiola and all that crap and todays offspring Lasgo

DA BOY TOMMY & DA RICK :lol:

Jan Vervloet, Chicane, Johan Gielen, Sven Maes, Daniel Moerenhout

fiocco - afflitto

Chicane - Saltwater oh man this used to make me cry!! :P

BALEARIC BILL - DESTINATION SUNSHINE<---!!!1!!!1!1!!!1!!

yep it's Bruno Snchioni, he also made one of the first trance tracks ever with Age Of Love. He was also the dude behind Dr. Phibes (in case anyone remembers that one ;) ) It's crazy the amount of talent that came out of Mouscron out of all places lol

isnt he from UK ?

yes... Still, a pretty cool track though ;)

but because of that mistake Sideffect... will come burn his house now :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

had no idea, i remember an interview with chicane in dutch so... maybe he can talk dutch...

->looking for an anthem stuck in my head for two days, so far no luck...

ok, don't blame me for not knowing it, it's just been too long, i know it's supar famous but just can't get it right now...

...so i've sung it and uploaded it :P

http://www.zshare.net/audio/17442238db6715e8/

maybe some ATB or alicedeejay...

yep it's Bruno Snchioni, he also made one of the first trance tracks ever with Age Of Love. He was also the dude behind Dr. Phibes (in case anyone remembers that one ;) ) It's crazy the amount of talent that came out of Mouscron out of all places lol

yes... Still, a pretty cool track though ;)

but because of that mistake Sideffect... will come burn his house now :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

:huh: I always thought BBE was French. Emmanuel top is in it and he is definately french. But cool, i live only 10 minutes from mouscron, that must be where I get all my talents from.

ah thanks mate! Indeed most of those came from Bonzai, although they put out a lot of crap as well IMO... it's funny looking back on the scene how many different styles coexisted in the same clubs, it's unthinkable to have that today IMO :)

Well, IMO the diversity on parties survived until 2005, not in clubs but underground rave parties, labeled as acid parties, mostly they were in Brussels & Leuven.

1 party, several styles, they played techno, acid, goa, rave, jungle, breakbeat etc on 1 party.

In 2005breakcore & acidcore took over this scene and killed everything melodic & ravy that was left.

The new acid scene is a spin off scene of breakcore.

I think the last decent underground rave i did was in 2006. I heard the muses rapt - spiritual healing, Intrance- mosquito & hardfloor in 1 set, then i just KNOW i'm in the right place.

This was for me the true pearl of the belgian electronic scene, my precious. :ph34r:

If you ever heard a set by DJ black francis ( the guy is WHITE!!! WHITE I TELL YA!!!) you know what i'm talking about.

And i have seen it all, from hardcore overdrive in sportpaleis, illusion, kozzmozz, starwarz, it's like a jungle, mysteryland till warehouse parties with Acid, rave or goa. I loved everything.

I missed bonzai as partymusic cause i was too young, first party-experiences were It's like a jungle & Kozzmozz 2 years. IMO, the perfect time to start, 80's was crap, early 90's was ok, mid 90 was WHAM!

The new acid scene is a spin off scene of breakcore.

acid scene ? :blink:

acid parties these days are more acid-tekno / hardtek / core oriented

but they're rare enough these days

breakcore spinoff.. i'm guessing your vision is troubled with the massive amount of breakcore-scene related parties =)

but ofcourse it depends on what u consider to be an acid party

Yep Bonzai was great back in a day.. I would add another name to the trio you are mentioning...Yves Deruyter...

He's the man behind Cherry Moon Trax, from the first "House of House" to "In My Electric House"...then "Calling Earth"

Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l46Av-7D8vM

Jones and Stephenson - Second Rebirth was great too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb-eJWlzh1s

Then soon after, newer Bonzai releases turned into cheese :(

Some other names worh mentioning are Channel X and Cubic 22. I'm pretty sure Channel X is from Belgium and I'm not

100% certain Cubic 22 is but they deserve their place in the history of early rave music.

I'm pretty sure this classic Channel X tune was featured in Basic Instinct movie with Sharon Stone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHZCtQ37sCc

Then the monster Cubic 22 - "Night in motion" tune: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkIx23G1Lq0

Fantastic for the time it was released back in like 1991.

Ahhh the memories :)

:huh: I always thought BBE was French. Emmanuel top is in it and he is definately french. But cool, i live only 10 minutes from mouscron, that must be where I get all my talents from.

Well I think Emmanuel Top lives in Lille (or close) and Mouscron is pretty close but on the other side of the border, so I guess that explains it :)

Yep Bonzai was great back in a day.. I would add another name to the trio you are mentioning...Yves Deruyter...

He's the man behind Cherry Moon Trax, from the first "House of House" to "In My Electric House"...then "Calling Earth"

Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l46Av-7D8vM

Jones and Stephenson - Second Rebirth was great too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb-eJWlzh1s

Then soon after, newer Bonzai releases turned into cheese :(

Some other names worh mentioning are Channel X and Cubic 22. I'm pretty sure Channel X is from Belgium and I'm not

100% certain Cubic 22 is but they deserve their place in the history of early rave music.

I'm pretty sure this classic Channel X tune was featured in Basic Instinct movie with Sharon Stone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHZCtQ37sCc

Then the monster Cubic 22 - "Night in motion" tune: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkIx23G1Lq0

Fantastic for the time it was released back in like 1991.

Ahhh the memories :)

ah thanks for those... yep Channel X is a project by Maurice Engelen, another musical genious from Belgium (Lords of Acid, 101, Praga Khan, Rythm Kings...) Too bad his stuff went to shit after his comeback in Belgium, I used to be a big fan of his early work.

had no idea, i remember an interview with chicane in dutch so... maybe he can talk dutch...

->looking for an anthem stuck in my head for two days, so far no luck...

ok, don't blame me for not knowing it, it's just been too long, i know it's supar famous but just can't get it right now...

...so i've sung it and uploaded it :P

http://www.zshare.net/audio/17442238db6715e8/

maybe some ATB or alicedeejay...

ah fuck I know this one but can't put my finger on it... Isn't it Ian Van Dahl?

Channel X

It used to be a radio Station, I still remember listening to it... 107.8, all day and night only trance and rave and techno... :) It was runned by Maurice Engelen and Max from Zazou, and I think it died around 2000 :(

• 2 years later...