Have you ever deleted a track you have worked for a long time?

I had a track that I was working for 4 months. Yesterday I deleted it completelly.

I hade created like a 100 effects, worked on 20 lead melodies, I spent hours and hours to make a good bass, but I sent them all to the recycle bin.

Why?

Obvioulsy I wasn't satisfied with it. I was working on it, transforming it all the time till I make something that sounds really great to my ears , but I never felt truly satisfied with it. So I delete everything. The only thing I kept was the kick.

I've deleted many times before tracks that I've worked for a long time, but never a track which I spent so many-many hours and even then I always kept something, some effect, some sample.

The strange thing is that I feel great now! More free! Like I got rid of a ghost! :posford: I'm now working to a new track which I promised to myself that I would love not just like it.

Have you ever done such a thing?

Nope. Never on purpose, anyway. I've accidentally deleted a few tracks I really liked, which is really painful. But I can understand how deleting a track might be liberating. Often one's best tracks are the quickest, and there seems to be some truth in the idea that one can overwork a track. The ones that grow into monsters might require being put down. Like some relationships, I suppose. Anyway, I'm happy for you and your liberation.

Nope. Never on purpose, anyway. I've accidentally deleted a few tracks I really liked, which is really painful. But I can understand how deleting a track might be liberating. Often one's best tracks are the quickest, and there seems to be some truth in the idea that one can overwork a track. The ones that grow into monsters might require being put down. Like some relationships, I suppose. Anyway, I'm happy for you and your liberation.

+1

Never delete tracks.. No reason for it, since the track-file is about 1 or 2 mb :) And eventhough the track has become messy after overworking it, sometimes something great comes out of it....

THIS TRACK

, for example i have redone about 10 times, made the start different.. Then the middle then the end, and then it doesn't fit together so i delete half of it again.. But i just cant get myself to delete it, if theres SOMETHING in the track i like... But i think this track worked out pretty well allthough it have been a very messy ride to produce it :D

I always delete tracks.. if there is a track im satisfied with, then there is probably 10 deleted tracks before that one.. i think thats the only way to advance or something, to be super critical :ph34r: and also i my self dont believe in working for more then some days on a track, since the idea i might have had for the track when i began working on it will get lost if i keep working on it, also i just find my self changing the track to infinitum so it sounds like a different track each time i work on it.. sure it can be good if i wanna make a remix or something :lol:

I always delete tracks.. if there is a track im satisfied with, then there is probably 10 deleted tracks before that one.. i think thats the only way to advance or something, to be super critical :ph34r: and also i my self dont believe in working for more then some days on a track, since the idea i might have had for the track when i began working on it will get lost if i keep working on it, also i just find my self changing the track to infinitum so it sounds like a different track each time i work on it.. sure it can be good if i wanna make a remix or something :lol:

+1 :D

I have an idea for track, I promise to myself to finish it in a couple of days, but eventually I add so much new content that I screw it up!

Done This Many Times And It Does Piss Me Off A Bit, But Once Its Done I Can't Do Much After The Wordt Has Been Done. :P

It Sucks To Start Over But, Thats How We Learn I Guess.

Sorry To Hear That Your Not Getting Vibes That Your Satisfied With, Don't Throw 'em Away Too Often Though.

I Tend To Be A Bit of A Packrat And Try And Hold On To Every Project But Space Is A Limit That Can't be Ignored.

Cheers

what I do is to move all my "not finished, and not happy with tracks" to an external hdd which is called "THE TRASH DRIVE". Because hehe, sometimes I am stuck with a track and I am looking for something, and I remember "AHHHHHH I think I did something similar on this track!!"...

Or you get inpiration later on and just pick up where you left.. :)

"Always recycle music!"

Done This Many Times And It Does Piss Me Off A Bit, But Once Its Done I Can't Do Much After The Wordt Has Been Done. :P

It Sucks To Start Over But, Thats How We Learn I Guess.

Sorry To Hear That Your Not Getting Vibes That Your Satisfied With, Don't Throw 'em Away Too Often Though.

I Tend To Be A Bit of A Packrat And Try And Hold On To Every Project But Space Is A Limit That Can't be Ignored.

Cheers

You should meet Bioshift on this forum he also likes to use big letterns in the beginning of every sentence/word :lol: is this some new canadian trend? :huh:

I never delete tracks. It's always possible to continue later with it. Or maybe someone else can pick up the track and continue with it.

As nemo does i would recommend to put them in the 'unhappy' folder. In the future you might have more experience and knowledge to do with the track what you intended.

I deleted all my tracks and sold all my synths 2 years ago. I just got a nord modular and going to start writing again.

I feel totally fresh and liberated from the garbage I made years ago. I dont feel that all that time was wasted though, I learned a ton but

if I had the files to work on those tracks now I would probly just be wasting my time.