Let's inject some music in this forum!

I'm going to shamelessly rip off an idea I saw today.

At some point on this other forum, people started a "monthly mission" music project, where every participant would make a piece of music based on some theme. They made a website for it, and some of the past 'missions', are: James Brown tribute, "Winter for fish" (Not only are you a fish, but it is also winter so the lake is frozen over), "All Hallows Eve 2006" "The Machine Singing" (pieces using only 5 audio samples and nothing more), "Monster Mission!" (monster movies). A new one someone suggested on the forum was "make a song using only sine waves" (doing anything you can and want to them, but sine waves as the only audio sources).

Get the idea? Anyone interested?

We could do something like: everyone interested provide one short piece of audio, and all submissions must use only these pieces of audio (like above, edited and mangled in any way you possibly can). Or we could follow the model the Monthly Mission website did, which is everyone who wants to suggest a theme, do so, and then we vote on the theme to use. Then we could put a time limit of, say, a month to produce a piece.

It would be fun! :posford:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what's the end date? And the exact theme?

Sine waves only with any distortion we want or no distortions? I think it'd be more interesting if we were allowed to modify de wave or maybe a theme, like "Journey into the Interior of the Earth" ( title from a book by Jules Verne )

I'd say we go for sines and only allow effects that change the sound's volume and unfiltered delay effects. anything that doesn't change the waveform.

should we allow clipping btw

So what's the end date? And the exact theme?

Sine waves only with any distortion we want or no distortions? I think it'd be more interesting if we were allowed to modify de wave or maybe a theme, like "Journey into the Interior of the Earth" ( title from a book by Jules Verne )

If you want to go for the sine thing, how about this:

No FM or additive synthesis (since you can make any waveform from sine waves using these types of synthesis).

Distortion okay.

I say we come to an agreement by the first of May, and have until the end of May to make the music.

Any other rules/restrictions?

Ok yay distortion me likes. But do really really big chords count as additive synthesis? And yeah a 5 or 6 min limit would be pretty nice too. Btw is "analog" distortion allowed or do we only allow digital clipping? And yeah a common theme would be nice too. Journey to the center of the earth sounds cool.

Ok yay distortion me likes. But do really really big chords count as additive synthesis? And yeah a 5 or 6 min limit would be pretty nice too. Btw is "analog" distortion allowed or do we only allow digital clipping? And yeah a common theme would be nice too. Journey to the center of the earth sounds cool.

No, chords are not additive synthesis. Additive synthesis builds other waveforms by adding sine waves in Fourier series, which are all harmonically related at certain amplitude ratios. Big chords are a go.

If you want to go for the sine thing, how about this:

No FM or additive synthesis (since you can make any waveform from sine waves using these types of synthesis).

Distortion okay.

I say we come to an agreement by the first of May, and have until the end of May to make the music.

Any other rules/restrictions?

I hardly use FM & additive in my own tracks, irrelevant :D