The Official "Astral Projection" Appreciation Topic

Malevol3nt

Yes, this is the official AP appreciation topic. Under a lack of search results, I have found No AP appreciation topics, which is damn right SAD. You may not like their current work, u may judge and prejudice their upcoming work, but their old music is simply a work of art.

Theyre the sole reason I've fallen in love with Goa Trance, the first one of the genre that I've heard of. If I haven't heard them I'd probably never hear of goa in the first place. So many great moments, whenever I was in a bad mood, all I needed was to push in the AP cd and hit the play button and the amazing journey could begin.. These guys deserve the respect as one of the best artists in the world.

So much variation in their music, so much unforgetting melodies, uplifting moments, and truly psychedellic experiences. Their album Another World is rumored to be one of the best selling trance albums of all times. And they were even so kind to offer their music free for download on mp3.com (!), in mp3 format maybe, but still, a wonderful gift from AP!

They had a huge influence in my life, and therefore I made this topic. If you're one of the fans of AP, fell free to post in this topic, this is all about them! :)

I have also BEEN huge AP fan, until TEN. I fully agree with every word you said in the topic, but I can't get over the fact that they've sold themselves. Last 2 'lives' I've heard of them were dreadful and they were not as engaging and entrancing as before. They are GONE. Sorry to say this, I still have big respect for everything they've done for the scene and for making Goa Trance genre more accessible to more people. They have influenced so many artists, and helped stretching the genre, but in past few years they have been nothing more than dissapointing. But I still Appreciate their overall achievement. -_-

Ok I've just wrote over 15 lines and I accidentally delted them. Fucksake :/

In short:

I hope AP will evolutionize what theyve done in the 20th century and continue it in the 21st, starting with their next release which is hopefully released this year. They have been an inspiration in my life, and allways will be. It's like my first love, I'll never forget them. I know they've turned more prog/fullon with the release of Amen, I don't know if this is because of money or not, afterall they've had their own record label, they've had Another World, which is rumored to be one of the most selling trance albums of all time, so what exactly is the problem?

Have they lost interest in goa trance? Have they really forgotten what it's all about? I don't know, I can't answer questions in their name, only they know what is the truth and why they've stoped making beautiful music like before Amen.

They're the sole reason why I've started listenig to goa, theyre the reason why I wanted to start making my own psychedellic and goa music aswell. It started as fun, but eventually it grew up on me, I want to make something as inspiring as their music inspired me, and more! So I owe them a great deal of tribute. Please AP, please make this the inspiring Goa Trance album like you used to make it in your formative years, label it whatever you want, but make the music like u used to make it, this is ALL we ask!!

Astral Projection are great, yes.

I don't own too much of their stuff, plan to get more, but all I can say I liked everything I heard so far.

And that includes the AMEN album of which many people say it's so bad ... what I heard of it was not bad...

The point is though, as I saw them live they threw in some quite full-onish tracks that lack the power of the former Astral. The contrast became full clear and audible to me as they went back to their old stuff for some time and then reswitched to the new, it was like if it was another artist playing. And if that's what we can expect to hear on Open Society, then I'd really say too that Astral's gone. The Open Society track itself is not that bad though...

Ok I've just wrote over 15 lines and I accidentally delted them. Fucksake :/

Try ctrl+z next time. ;)

I'm a big fan too, they were the first goa/psy I heard and it was them that made me start listening to the genre. I love all albums up to and including Amen. Haven't even heard Ten actually, but since I heard not so good stuff about it I chose not to listen. Maybe someday. :P I'm excited about the new album and I hope they won't let me down. Don't want another Infected Mushroom.

Hello,

I saw them on Friday 8th February in London at Turnmills' club, they played 4 new tracks and these tracks : Open Society, The Prophecy, People Can Fly, Aurora Borealis Remix, Mahadeva Remix.

I love Astral since the beginnning and I also love new tracks they played in London, great melodies, great tracks, a wonderful party (there were Wizzy Noise, John'oo Flemming at this party ... and Yahel but I don't like his sounds...) !!

I went alone to this party, I'm a big fan :)

Skytrancer / Benoît

They surely are some artists to respect, they made extremly wonderful music with apsolutely awesome melodes. Very uplifting and just cool to listen to. Not only that, they had very good production quality and used a wide variety of analogue synths. their Trust in Trance albums, their Another world, Astral Files, all were very good albums, very deep and ofcourse it was extremly kind that they offered mp3 files on mp3.com. I also liked Amen, the tracks werent as emotional and dramatical but they had melody and at least werent fullon then. All their old tracks were mostly very euphoric and emotional, and rich of sounds, tracks I liek best are Butterfly Trip, Hypnotica, Mahadeva 96, Mahadeva 99, Utopia, Ioniced, The Feelings and similar, I even liked them more when they still were SFX, the tracks Butterfly Trip and hypnotica are definetly more psychedelic and classical than their later stuff IMO. Ten however was more than a disaster

Funny you mention them just now, I have been going through my astral cds the past weeks....They were great, that is undoubtedly true. But I dont bother with them anymore. I even saw them perform "live"....they should RIP and stop before they completely ruin what once Astral Projection stood for. (like infected did)

Funny you mention them just now, I have been going through my astral cds the past weeks....They were great, that is undoubtedly true. But I dont bother with them anymore. I even saw them perform "live"....they should RIP and stop before they completely ruin what once Astral Projection stood for. (like infected did)

LOOOL

i was going to say the same, i restarted listening to astral now maybe its the good weather :D

Their early to mid-era sound embodies what I enjoy about Goa/Psy, namely bold rhythms, gritty bass textures, catchy melodies and well-placed samples. Tracks like Let There Be Light and Enlightened Evolution hit me in the right place in the cranium. The Another World album to me is when they started their decline. Whereas Trust in Trance 3 is probably the most classic of classics in the genre for me. I heard Open Society recently and found it surprisingly good, although the samples dominate too much. I have hope that they can still release a great album.

Their early to mid-era sound embodies what I enjoy about Goa/Psy, namely bold rhythms, gritty bass textures, catchy melodies and well-placed samples. Tracks like Let There Be Light and Enlightened Evolution hit me in the right place in the cranium. The Another World album to me is when they started their decline. Whereas Trust in Trance 3 is probably the most classic of classics in the genre for me. I heard Open Society recently and found it surprisingly good, although the samples dominate too much. I have hope that they can still release a great album.

Are you sure about Another world? Its pretty much what you described as enjoyable. I find that its the album that stands out more than the others by all its tracks being flawless. What is it that you didnt like?

Are you sure about Another world? Its pretty much what you described as enjoyable. I find that its the album that stands out more than the others by all its tracks being flawless. What is it that you didnt like?

The great sound is still there, but it starts to get too repetitive, a bit too clean and formulaic, and with too many samples. I'm not saying I hate the album, but that's the point to me when they started to regress.

I've pretty much loved their every work to another world, which is my favourite album. Their later releases I'm not fund of much, it just doesn't represent their style anymore.

What I like even more tho is their singles, if you would put all of their singles onto one cd it would make a killer album imo! :)

e: I also absolutely love their work as SFX. I think it's something original, it's groovy, you can dance to it or you can just listen to it on the headphones while laying down. It's funny how the more you go to the past you find the more artistic side of their music. Seems like they're making music backwards or in the wrong direction doesnt it..

I fully agree about Another World. With Trust In Trance it is their most serious work. The Cosmic exploration in Nilaya, dark and melodic Another World, pumping and powerful Visions Of Nazca, trippy and droning Tryptomine Dream, euphoric and positive Searching For UFO's, every single track on the album is flawless as snowball has put it. I completely disagree with you Otto about being their beginning of regression. It was actually their final massive and psychedelic album. I quite liked Amen but it didn't have the level of wowness their other albums have. :D