Psytrance in Japan

Pandemonium

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in Japan from 97-01. Fuck it was magic back then , it would be interesteing to see what's its like now but i wouldn't hold my breath.

I'm still here and the scene has definitely degraded in the last few years. Even 5 years ago it was still really good but the number of parties is declining, moving out of the capital and more difficult to find decent ones. Some of the festival events though are still really good.

• 2 weeks later...

Free the mushies so people will make more strange mosakk!! :D

:wub:Yamabikay is Japanese, these days he (one former member) makes pretty decent techno house stuff.

I used to think that Japanese artists would be freaky people making more experimental music allà Suomi/Oozie (hence my love towards Yamabikaya). But I was dissepointed as I didn't find many sounds that was like my fantasy about Japanese music. Later when I started to enjoy darker elements like the sounds from Russia, I discovered this album, and it's really good.

So, I got nothing to add to this thread, just wanted to mention this.

• 2 months later...

Well as some of you may know I once lived in Japan for 6 years and have since moved back to my home country of the U.S. I have been back there for a year. Well now I am on a 2 week vacation (holiday) in Japan and it has gotten worse. I hate to be negative, but the once beloved Quintrix in Shibuya has closed its doors. I couldnt beleive it. Now there is really nowhere to even get flyers to parties in Tokyo minus this one small shop called psychedelic garden in the Shinjuku ward, and their selections are very limited. How can the biggest city in the world house only one small psy shop? And I dont want to hear because of the economy. Im just so disappointed and it makes me not really want to come back to Japan again. Sure there are still beutiful women and great beer here, but thats not enough for me, My magical memories of Japan are only in my mind. But at least I have those now, while on the other hand as late as we may be. Psy has come a long way in America and is continually growing slowly but surely in the right way. I think the problem with Japan is that they commercialize everything entirely way to quickly thus watering the scene down completely. The same thing happened to the regular trance scene some time ago. I even went out to Roppongi and they had some decent progressive spinning at one bar, but 85% of all the clubs and bars were spinning rap, hiphop, and just pop music and it disgusted me. Customers dancing on the tables like they were hot. I felt like an alien there. I was thinking to myself am I the only one that thinks this is Pure crap? I guess I will just stick to the internet for the good parties like Labyrinth or Brainbusters. But I still remember a time where there would be so many good artists and parties here every weekend and it was pure bliss. I guess that all things have to change and sometimes that change isnt for the good. :(

• 1 month later...

Some of the best parties were

Astral Projection-half built building Shibuya 97

Koxbox-Domino Yokohama Bay Hall 97

VisionQuest-Cosmosis/Jorg 97/98 Yokohama bay hall

Nijima-Outdoors Goa Gil 99

GMS/Infected-Outdoors Hiros party 98 Mt Fuji

GMS/Miko Yokohama Bay hall 98

Hallucinogen-Yokohama bay Hall 99

Double Dragon-Yokohama Bay hall 2000

Jaia-Yokohama Bay Hall 2000

Shakta/Domino CCC buil roppongi 98

Sid SHannti-ccc buil roppongi 97

Koxbox/Sunproject Vision quest outdoors 98

X Dream/ Tim Shuldt Outdoors Vision Quest outdoor 98

Dino/Tim Shuldt Vision quest Yokohama Bay hall 98

My Leaving party Solsitce Mt Fuji-loads June 2000

Hiros small party outdoors Tokyo Odaiba-this guy is a legend!

Chikuyas trance office in Shibuya

Talamasca/Absolom/Nomad at Shibuya on Air 98

Absolom ccr building 98

Equinox party 98 (worth it to see Avikals string deco)

Strong sun moon festival in Gifu 98-http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=27745213

and loads of others

Fucking loved it!!

Lets not forget Pete from South Africa and Olief from Germany-he had the crystal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haraukaze-Yoyogi Park outdoors with Meru and MAck (now a superstar!!?

Yokohama bay hall was deft the business-fantastic