Chill/Downtempo/You get the idea

Sarrsari

I've recently discovered a cure for my insomnia which involves a lot of good chill.. or at least unique cases.. See PROTOCULTURE isn't exactly what I would call a chill trance artist, though some tracks like for example homeworld really does the trick for me.. Anybody know any similiar tracks to listen to? I like the whole dreamy, epic end of the world in a chilly way kind of music.. If you still dont know what I mean all you need to do is listen to Homeworld by Protoculture.

Thx.

I've recently discovered a cure for my insomnia which involves a lot of good chill.. or at least unique cases.. See PROTOCULTURE isn't exactly what I would call a chill trance artist, though some tracks like for example homeworld really does the trick for me.. Anybody know any similiar tracks to listen to? I like the whole dreamy, epic end of the world in a chilly way kind of music.. If you still dont know what I mean all you need to do is listen to Homeworld by Protoculture.

Thx.

if we stick in this words but not always in the chill way check Beefcake and Kattoo

I was recently thinking of opening a thread called "Recommendations for best 2007 Downtempo/Chill albums" just to gain some insight into what the heck I missed that was great. I didn't want to affect the official "Best of 2007" thread however by having people post their top 5 lists because rules changed this year on psynews in that we can now add our Top 5 downtempo to our Top 5 psy lists. So I refrained and attempted to use the official 2007 "best of" for reference.

But this year was weak for myself and some others when it came to Ambient, Downtempo, and Chill.

I only ended up buying ASURA - LIFE2 and YOUNGER BROTHER - THE LAST DAYS OF GRAVITY. Those two albums are great. Other than that, I listened to some chill albums recommendations from peoples Top 5 Chill/Ambient lists in the best of thread and many I found uninteresting as opposed to the extended samples of ASURA 3 (Life2) and YOUNGER BROTHER 2. So my chill list currently has only two albums on it. If anyone knows of something truly great that I missed I'd love to know so I can see if I find it worth ordering/buying.

its not neccesarily psychedelic by any means, but its a must if you're into EDM. and thats

Digital Witchcraft - Fingerpaint

Its a really nice chill out song, with some beautiful piano lines. Also, if you're having trouble sleeping it might be a good idea to listen to

Steve Reich - Music for 18 Musicians

I fall asleep to it most nights

I was recently thinking of opening a thread called "Recommendations for best 2007 Downtempo/Chill albums" just to gain some insight into what the heck I missed that was great. I didn't want to affect the official "Best of 2007" thread however by having people post their top 5 lists because rules changed this year on psynews in that we can now add our Top 5 downtempo to our Top 5 psy lists. So I refrained and attempted to use the official 2007 "best of" for reference.

But this year was weak for myself and some others when it came to Ambient, Downtempo, and Chill.

I only ended up buying ASURA - LIFE2 and YOUNGER BROTHER - THE LAST DAYS OF GRAVITY. Those two albums are great. Other than that, I listened to some chill albums recommendations from peoples Top 5 Chill/Ambient lists in the best of thread and many I found uninteresting as opposed to the extended samples of ASURA 3 (Life2) and YOUNGER BROTHER 2. So my chill list currently has only two albums on it. If anyone knows of something truly great that I missed I'd love to know so I can see if I find it worth ordering/buying.

Out of curiosity, which chill releases did you listen to that you didn't like?

global communication - pentamerous metamorphosis & 76:14

gimmik/abfahrt hinwil

try those I reckon very beautiful stuff, heaps better than what's generally recommended in the psy-circles...

This is exactly why I dont appreciate people that argue about there being way too many subgenres.. For crying out loud even I get confused when we talk about chill cus there are way too many interpretations of it, yet not all fit into the category. Don't understand what I mean? Ok, I'll explain..

A few days ago I was chilling with ma protoculture having the time of my life.. for that day. Then I ask my mate to send me some good chill/epic stuff. He sends me sphongle among some other great tracks and not that I do not appreciate the music. It's just not what I am looking for. Of course I try to explain this to my friend and he repeats the words "That's not chill dude". Besides, seeing as he doesn't even have half a clue who protoculture is I wouldn't expect much posetive feedback from him. I know that chill is way diffrent than what I was asking for, but when I say chill I dont mean the genre, but rather the style to properly explain the type of music I am requesting. Please do me a favor and listen to Protoculture - Homeworld.. I know his actual music style is Psychadelic Trance, and his songs differ from each other.. But say I want songs that are almost exactly the same style as that one track, what the hell do I ask for?

I just dont know anymore.. But I think this is a case where the songs resemble each other, rather than a certain genre. For example, shitloads of Goa sounds extremely diffrent from each other, yet it's all Goa. Savvy?

@damon: Ultimae is almost it. Although all I had time to try out were a few samples, right now. I'll get back to it when I have more time. Do most of his tracks end with a climax of some sort? Then it'd be a perfect purchase. I am very paranoid when it comes to music. I once listened to hardcore and the whole fire department of sweden had to convince me not to jump off a bridge.