Shulman - Endless Rhythms of the Beatless Heart

healium

I am just listening to Etnica - Trip Tonite ( Asura Ethilic Eden Mix ) and I have to tell you man, you made one delicious mix, I can't tell you how much I enjoy it right now, just after sex. :D

Whaw. Poor Shulman. One review topic for this album and almost all the times bad critics. Come on on my review topic and bash Life² too please (not you Towelie, you already did this to Life² ahaha).

Personaly, I don't have their last album, so I can't say anything about the music, but I can say I love the long title and the beautiful cover art.

Heh, no reason for me to bash it :P

And seriously I have never really understood Shulman's music at all. There are moments but nothing really special imo.

I am just listening to Etnica - Trip Tonite ( Asura Ethilic Eden Mix ) and I have to tell you man, you made one delicious mix, I can't tell you how much I enjoy it right now, just after sex. :D

Yes great remix, but it's not mine, it's Aes Dana! :)

Not sure what it is about this album, but I just can't get into it. I liked the previous albums too, so this is very dissapointing. Nothing here really stands out as being terrible, but nothing stands out as being good either. Overall it just seemed uninspired. Just my 2 cents

• 5 weeks later...

I actually stared this review long time ago before it was posted. But never completed it. Wanted to be the first to post the review of the album but didn't make it. So here is what I wrote. It's still incomplete.

Shulman: Endless Rhythms of the Beatless Heart.

Posted Image

Retroscape - starts off with a slow beat and goes into the shulmanesqe sound has acoustic and electronic sounds mixed, string instruments, and lots of ethnic mixes. There is few samples female and male. At least one of them is a very common and i would say way WAY over used sample in psybient aka psychill. Then there is a sample of a female voice speaking alluding to meditation practice or somthing... that one is original... then more of the worn out indian ethnic or whatever sample that is so antiquated it basically ruins the whole vibe, reminds me of all the many many other psybient tracks that have used this sample: entheogenic, makyo probably, who knows who else... OH this time it has a disco-like overtone on it wow, how distict. If they dropped the use of that sample. It would be a totally original track, but since I've heard this riff so many times... I will just stop talking and wait for the next one and hope I haven't heard parts of it used in countless other tracks.

Transmissions in Bloom - starts out with etheric synthetic ooh aah soundz, then goes into breaks that are a little faster than the previous. An asian, folk instrument (india, china), sounds like string or wind (I dunno the name). Then some synthetic strings, and piano overlaid. So far no annoying middle eastern or asian raggedy samples from sample.com ... (I guess I just got a thing against re-used samples) The electro bass is present, we have some ambient breakdowns that seem to open up to a atmosphere or an enchanted dreamscape. It kind of gets interrupted by that old Asian folk instrument, that Shulman seems to love. But then it makes it in and rests neatly together into the sound nicely. Synthetic High frequency Organs, and you feel like your gliding through a empyrean dream. Beautiful. Then some hints of shaman songs in the whistling echosphere. Then an industrial sounding breaks comes in (reminds me of NIN personally). Then some Etheric Ooh Aahs fade in. And a break beat finnaly takes hold. As our synths and melodic blooping arpeggios augment the cascading percussion stutters and dribbles. A harp now, with a compementary duet, and again the Asian Obo or whatever it is. A high pitched filter sweep, and the gentle air of Transmission in Bloom dissipates into a feminine emptiness.

Odd Reflections - Starts off with a fly-by sound and a bouncing or dribbling ball of mercury bouncing in a big echoing room. Some arcade like laser bolts rythams, and then a gentle Ooh ahh sound comes in. Then a sound of someone cooking greesy breakfast with scrambled eggs or something is digesting. Then the old Asian Obo, and shortly after a synthetic sine wave takes it over. Then some old 303s adornment, percussion is going steady... and the asian obo is back to do it's thing. Then the 303 reminds me of the old golden sounds. A break... The percussion goes on but it's a break in the melodies. And then the percussion is gone. And now it's just soundscapes. Then it slowly builds back up with some arcade like laser bolts, A nice organ chord or two, and the asian obo is back with percussion. 303s return for a short march. And then a duet between the Asian Obo and a synthetic Bowawhywhwywhyah sound, and it the two sort of condense into a peak experience or somthing while the falling echos of dropped plastic cups in hyperspace cover it out.

One Step Closer - Starts off with a deep bellowing under water cavern sound. And a electronic panel is nearby - oh it's the side of a android's neural net. On second thought the android is the cavern itself and it is filled with warm plasma charged liquid, probably pink or fluorescent color. The percussion breaks come in, with a cadence of Insects providing the secondary flank. And a amphibious 303 starts it's happy frog song. We have some nice steady work on the percussion cymbals... and a profound intriguing sense of suspense comes with the rolling cascade of a supporting melody in a synthetic string with deep pedal. The Saxaphone is here and it is telling you it's a strange and funky place but it warm and welcoming even though it's so funky you can feel the smile of the man behind the saxaphone. No sound assumes dominance everything rolls through like the experience of life itself, nothing lasts and there is no abrupt beginning or end for any sound. Everything seems to simply scroll by the lady of fate. Wind in the grass. And it naturally goes out without any loss of dignity.

After Silence - Starts out with a swift short xylophone scale, and a ambient line with a rain stick or chimes. Synth line sweeps in and builds, with digital watch or clicks about. The beat seems to come in, now everything reaches a kind of order, a violin, a organ, a deep synth, the sounds are almost watery. And suddenly a shimmering bell synth, and the beat breaks, synthetic ooh-aahs fade through, and there is a sense of being in a sentient artificial intelligence or being in the room with a alien intelligence, vast and expansive. Then a sound that seems out of phase, a kind of rumbling treading, or mechanical turning, of a rubber or gel part of a machine or perhaps a organic organism. The beat returns, a industrial vibe. Ambient eastern vocals and the chimes return and now a piano, with a synth electric string bass, a underwater watery jet stream sound, and the track fades quickly out.

Invention - This one starts out jazzy, hm, a contrast with the rest. Creaky sounds and then in comes a obo or something, piano soon after. The percussion goes on, and we have a almost Thievery Corporation kind of vibe or sound. Then comes the saxophone, and the whole thing gets classy, wonder if it's live sax. Anyway now comes in a simple synth chord to replace the sax, and we got the obo back. Again the sax... some nice Goa style beeps and blips. It goes on, and there its a break...

Starts out with high hats, quietly and fades in with that tropical reggee sound and is quickly accompanined by a obo that has a very happy gay melody. Makes you want to skip and laugh. Then it goes into a dreamy soft synth tones blue... the loyal feminine element... and were back with the obo melody that is so catchy. It goes on and the breaks down into a tribal middle eastern belly dance riff. Very intelligent switch here, impressive. Flutes quickly adorn the line and the whole thing takes you back in time. The gay melody returns and is now mixed in with the middle eastern sound from before, the summertime reggee sound takes on a new dimension. And it goes on untill a graceful fadeout of the obo which has taken us around the world through time. The flute finalizes the piece.

Eternal Bliss of the Grateful Souls - The shortest track of all. Starts out with a primordial ocean of life sound in the deeps of the sea. And then is graced with a

(... all I wrote for this one)

Recoup:

This music trips me out, Shulman is telling us about a place, it is a message, about another place, it is not even really music, but a experience brought back from this place which the song describes. This is a mysterious place, which Shulman has the honor of the muse to allow the description thereof.

• 2 years later...

This is one of my favourite albums of all time!

It's strange that many people seem to dislike the album...

First of all the title of the album is really nice and poetic. I like every track on the album, outstanding downtempo music with incredible touching arabic melodies. The glitch elements are also nice.

My favourite tracks are the last three, but Retroscape and Transmissions in Bloom are also great.

I find inner peace when I listen to this album. :) 9/10

• 2 weeks later...

Shulman - Mia Nihta Mono Den Ftani

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iL6PpBvLSM

Indira Radić - Lopov

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYbVQjnw1bQ

any similarities?   :lol::lol::lol:

What I'm trying to say, this album is actually a cover of many cheesy and commercialized music melodies across the globe. Nothing innovative or breath-taking in that.