Tracklist

1 Nomad (21:06)

2 Green Sun Prismatic Sky (17:48)

3 Iqqoa (8:22)

4 Blue Helix (5:50)

5 Sun In Venus (5:57)

6 Utopian Moon Garden (7:20)

7 Infinity Beam Home (6:34)

Matt Hillier of Ishq fame under a different name serving us up with another dose of ambient bliss to enjoy. This is a similar style to Ishq - Orchid but it's a little darker & has more of an alien feel to it. Think outside in an alien garden at night with full moons lighting everything in an eerie glow. Such a harmonious mix of nature and mechanical elements which blend together complimenting each other perfectly.

1. Nomad

A long moonlit drone sets a mood of night time wonder. Elicit meetings & secret goings on. Ever so slowly the beats creep in & the energy builds up. Not quite a party atmosphere but more like watching an outside gathering from a distance. Watching the lights, the people talking to each other but no dancing. It's not that kind of party. As the track goes on though more energy is fed from nowhere & I start wanting to nod my head & tap my foot. As it rushes & rushes it seems to use up all it's energy & what was rising is now falling into a more relaxed state. Voices call & sci fi noises come from the darkness, suddenly the atmosphere is very spacey like a garden on an alien planet. All the sounds seem alien now. All the energy dissipates and now I'm standing in the centre of an alien world. Dark yet comforting, everyone else has left & I'm all alone among the unfamiliar nature of this world. An alien rain falls down all around me musically, drenching me in beautiful sound, permeating my body & refreshing my tired mind and making me feel invigorated. Finally it all seeps slowly out of every pore, taking all the energy with it & leaving me lying on the ground staring up at the moons.

2. Green Sun, Prismatic Sky

The seems ready to rise. A faint glow on the horizon lights up the sky in a spectrum of colours, all dark moody colours. The sounds of dawn can be heard, birdsong & an electronic breeze. Strange eastern robotic life arises around me & the sun seems to stutter before it breaks over the mountains. A voice comes from right beside me but when I look down there is nothing there. As the sun rises it spreads it's warmth over the soundscape & it covers all the mechanical life surrounding me in an eerie light. A strange sensation, so natural & synthetic in the same sound. F1 cars screech by & ships land near me but these machines, rather than dominating & destroying like they do on Earth, live as one with the nature, complimenting it not detracting from it.

A confusing track for me as in my experience machines & civilisation always detract from nature & when I'm out in nature I want to be alone with no signs of machinery or people. This track though manages to blend the two together magnificently & when the vocals come in they sound half human & half computerised. It's a woman but I can't find her, like her voice is detached & spoken only over the airways.

The sun doesn't rise very high in the sky & only manages to cast a dim light before setting back down and leaving everything in moonlight once more. The stars come out & everything seems more relaxed. There is still some hustle & bustle but everything is moving more slowly at this time.

3. Iqqoa

Something big rushes down & crashes near by, a beam of light projects in all directions before the batteries die & it all goes dark again. Little robotic blips form what is almost a melody & they grow in intensity until they fill the air while retaining the melody. But it's more than that, it doesn't just fill the air, it fills all my senses. It seems like the noises are looking for something that this song is some kind of alien search method. As I lie here I secretly wish that they never find what they are looking for & I can listen to this tune forever.

4. Blue Helix

After the dissolution of the search party, from out of the sky comes a twisting melody. It seems to spin around itself as it moves moves inwards towards me. A soft baseline follows it & from somewhere I can hear a voice trying to tell me something. The message though is too faint to make out so I ignore it & focus on the blue twisting sound now right in front of me. It plays around as I lie & watch it, the stars and the moon behind it like a beautiful picture. Finally some birds, can it already be dawn again?

5. Sun In Venus

The light covers me quickly as the new sun rises much more quickly than the old one. All of a sudden the world around be is ablaze with light & colour. Around me all manner of things come to life & make their presence known. Lots of little noise some natural some not combine to make a cacophony of relaxed visions for my mind. Nicest are the chimes that whisper through my my brain & tug at my memories. Memories of warm summer days in meadows as a child. Lying in fields of gold as the wind rustles through the ears. As quickly as the sun rose though it sets leaving us once again with the moons.

6. Utopian Moon Garden

A very mystical night time feel mixed with the robotic feel of this world. Sounds rush & bleep & float in the darkness but in the centre of all these electronic sounds is a rich verdant garden with flowers & trees all lit up by the moons. The alien rain falls down to feed the organic life that is here & feeds my soul as I lie here. The natural & electronic sounds blend harmoniously & it's a joy to behold. Once again I can almost hear a woman but as I hear her, she's gone.

7. Infinity Beam Home

After such an enjoyable stay on this planet it looks like it's time to leave. The Tachyon Express is here to beam me home faster than light. As I rush through space the stars wizz by & strange sounds come at me from hyperspace. Again I hear the woman but I've raced passed to quickly. As I float through space closer to Earth I miss the natural sounds of the planet. The solar wind is strong and the closer I get the more sounds of humanity I can hear. NASA's messages beamed out for aliens are only intercepted by me. The final leg of my journey sees me quietly drop through the atmosphere into quiet chatter. how very human.

Matt Hillier has managed to create a journey here through an alien planet filled with nature & machines & back through space to Earth.

The whole journey is spent not moving but lying horizontal on my back as the story moves around me.

A fantastic relaxed journey should be enjoyed as all Matt's work, alone, horizontal in the dark!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...