how to see if your mp3 / wave is of high quality

I decided to update my guide to recognizing a proper WAV from an MP3 at different quality and/or a MiniDisc Rip.
This is the only reliable way to tell because you can actually SEE how it is..

Let's start with the images:

Image 1: the typical mp3 back in the late 90s , encoded with XING (one of the worst encoders in terms of quality) and usually at 128 kbps
ffek.th.jpg
Here u can clearly see how the frequency are all CUT: There is a maximum level of 15000 hertz and a lot of loss in quality.

Image 2: Mini-Disc RIP: this somehow is almost a wave, in the meaning that this track was probably recorded from good source to a mini-disc, and although not perfect it is way higher in quality than a badly encoded mp3
wo83.th.jpg
Typical Mini-Disc RIP, some frequency loss.

Image 3: A true WAV, you can see there is no cut whatsoever, and the track goes up to all the frequencies.
3ajh.th.jpg

True DAT/CDDA Material, no compression or loss of frequencies, whatsoever.

Image 4: Scene MP3 in VBR or 320 kbps quality:
8msq.th.jpg
this is the typical "mp3 scene" quality, is not bad at all, only really high frequencies are cut, and these tracks can be played on high-end systems too.

Program used: Adobe Audition CS6 (same as Cool Edit 1.2, just the newer version).

Guide Revised and Updated 14 July 2013.

maybe its more easy to use tau analyser based on au-detect technology for determining the source of the cd content

maybe its more easy to use tau analyser based on au-detect technology for determining the source of the cd content

nah this is the only real and very easy way to tell!

only your eyes can see the level of the frequency, besides, once u open the program, load the file and click the spectral analysis button, it appears immediately.

nah this is the only real and very easy way to tell!

only your eyes can see the level of the frequency, besides, once u open the program, load the file and click the spectral analysis button, it appears immediately.

tau analyser shows both spectral and freq diagrams so u can see not smell or taste them with ya eyes , its ultra small , less then 150 kb and its FREE

also u dont need to rip the cd to make the files to open

what's to compare?

once u checked your track, you understand what quality it has. did u understnad how it works? every track at wave/cd/dat quality should be like the one i presented as wave: with full spectrum of sound (means all cloured up to over 20.000). u dont have to compare it with anything else

tau analyser shows both spectral and freq diagrams so u can see not smell or taste them with ya eyes , its ultra small , less then 150 kb and its FREE

also u dont need to rip the cd to make the files to open

aliened, i dont really understand what you're talking about , i will check this program, but my intrent was to teach how to check your own collection of unreleased tracks, or even released stuff that someone gave you. of course ANY printed cd that u buy in a shop is full cd quality, this is to check other material :). it seems strange something checks directly from the cd without ripping to hard drive in any case.

I also suggest using EAC and this guide:

http://www.audiohub.org/get/fa/sa.htm

Finding out whether a WAV file is real or not is very easy once you get the knack of it... just look for the black spaces in the high frequencies or the jagged frequency cut-off; these are the marks of compression and quality loss. Remember (and this goes doubly for the DJs), music quality is your responsibility. Think of all the dogs you see romping around on the festival grounds. Maybe you can't hear the ultrasonic frequencies, but would you really wish for our canine brethren to experience anything less than perfect sound?

:drama:

of coz nothin stange in here , it say as u say its wierd that the cd rom drive is reading / playing cds without ripping and saving them on hard drive

tau analyser is for audio cds only and has the only one task to do , its to show u if ya cd was made of mp3 shit or an original cd

i wud like to try EAC too but meanwhile read this

Tau Analyzer is a free program, which can help you to distinguish with reasonable accuracy the original studio-based CDs from poor quality fakes, that have been "reconstructed" using a lossy audio source, such as MP3. Using this program you can check the authenticity of your purchased or borrowed music CDs. Tau Analyzer features an intuitive user interface, allowing users to work directly with audio CDs, and has some additional functions such as a Spectrum and Frequency analyzers, ATIP and ISRC data readers, etc.

http://www.true-audio.com/Tau_Analyzer_-_C...ticity_Detector

So why would u trade mp3s? And if your trading cd's your most probably not trading copies which should mean the files on it are of the best quality.. Nice guide tho, am a bit confused I'll have to check this when I'm in a more lucid-state hehe

I knew there were other ways to check audio quality but since i spoke to a lot of people unable to check their mp3s or waves i felt an urge to make a guide on a forum where there are many people :) I am sure once u sober and get sane from beyond sanity you will understand.

Another reason is that there is a lot of etnica material floating around which was rencoded from 128 or 160 xing to 320 and a lot of wannabe traders who think they can fool around other collectors -> hence my guide :).. be sure to check everythign before u trade!

I'm already having fun with this. Take your wildest guess, and try to draw a supposition about the quality of my unreleased MP3s? :rolleyes:

:pissed:

To think positive: at least with headphones on they sound nice... Relatively nice.

• 5 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Guide Updated, enjoy :)