Metapsychic Records in trouble?

jivamukti

Says their website:

"We need your help so that we can keep this project alive , since we have stuff to pay (website hosting , .com , hours that we spend on promoting , producing new music , organizing and compiling new albums for the people), we ask you , please donate and help us!!"

I don't think you can rely solely on voluntary donations for your survival, and IMO you should also look into other ways to ease the burden on yourselves. First you could look for a free hosting service for your website. Google Pages should be a good choice; they don't impose any kind of advertising on your website and you get an easy-to-remember name for your page (that is if you don't want to/can't pay anymore for www.metapsychicrecords.com), such as metapsychicrecords.googlepages.com.

Secondly there's hosting all those releases for hundreds or thousands of ppl to download. At least www.archive.org could host them for free. Drop the wav format if necessary or make ppl pay a small sum like 5 dollars for it.

Thirdly if you feel your organization is stretched, get new ppl involved. It should be easy to find new promo persons and such.

Anyway good luck and thanks for all the good releases!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drop the wav format if necessary or make ppl pay a small sum like 5 dollars for it.

+ 1

Making people pay symblic prices for high quality versions of your releases won't make you look like an "underground-turned-mainstream" sell out label... Unfortunately, we don't live in a world where making a living is possible by spreading good vibes & releasing great music for free.

No, keep up the WAV releases. I have oodles of space and plenty of bandwidth to help out anyone doing a good thing in this scene... I totally don't mind helping out in this case.

Well then their complaint regarding that is a non-issue and maybe they should tone down their message.

They are saying "We need your help so that we can keep this project alive", which I understood as meaning that their label won't survive without donations. So maybe they should portray their situation in a less stark light?

I am fairly sure you can put entire WAV albums on archive.org as well... anyhow, I don't think it is so bad to ask for donations; they do good work!

thanks basilisk , i dont see what is the problem to ask donations if afterall we all WORK. tplus i want artists to ge what they deserve , afterall they are all working for u people , so that u can ENJOY their music.

now read:

"Think of it this way -- an artist is not only a creative entity, but also a mundane living human being who must eat, breathe, and sleep. The artist may be a lot more interested in just painting/writing/whatever, but if he neglects eating, breathing and sleeping, he won't be around long. These neglected needs will hamper and eventually cut short one's ability to make art. Thus the artist who recognizes his/her dual nature, and takes care of those basic non-art needs, will be able to devote his/her energies to creating art more freely and with greater longevity, unhampered in the mean time by pesky things like starvation, arrest, sickness or insanity. The same thing goes for a running record label as far as acknowledging the presence of other necessities..."

peace-.

Whats the point in making a thread about what we do with our site and write on it?

Our business, if i would make a thread about everything people write on their blogs/sites what ever i would have a lot to do..

If people like what we do and wanna support us its up to them we all work for free with this innitiative making music and graphics.

We have a lot of talented artists that work hard to spread goa music in a world where big labels have taken over totally what people should listen to,

So this music is doomed to not make any great impact on the mainstream public thus making it hard to live from it.

Just my thoughts

Regards

Diaks

Also torrents are another good way to go. Hostin shouldn't be a problem, theres affordable cheap hosting on the net these days afaik.

You seem to miss the poínt Malevol3nt, its not about hosting its about humans trying to make a living of what they enjoy most in life, its easy for you people to judge.. just clicking a mouse button and downloading music for free and not needing to see the people behind the funky artist names. If people dont appreciate that its quite easy to change.

You seem to miss the poínt Malevol3nt, its not about hosting its about humans trying to make a living of what they enjoy most in life, its easy for you people to judge.. just clicking a mouse button and downloading music for free and not needing to see the people behind the funky artist names. If people dont appreciate that its quite easy to change.

Yeah I missed the point because I didn't really know what the problem is, now I see. Well, Netlabels are a place for amateur artists to put their music on and be heard, so one day when their music reaches a certain level they could be contacted by commercial record labels and start making a living out of music. Unless you guys are actually trying to make a netlabel for really professional-level music, but nobody can make a living out of donations.

Netlabels are a place for amateur artists to put their music on and be heard, so one day when their music reaches a certain level they could be contacted by commercial record labels and start making a living out of music.

The commercial record labels are only one part of it... and probably the smallest part at that. Unless you're Infected Mushroom or GMS, I don't think anyone makes a heck of a lot from album and track sales alone. The money is in the gigs! And gigs stem from good promotion and wide exposure, both of which should be provided by a competent netlabel.

Knowing human nature, there is no way anyone could make a living doing their art on donations alone (let's be realistic here) but it sure doesn't harm none to ask :)

Yeah its actually too bad that nobody can make a living out of selling albums / tracks. I guess that's why there are so many liveacts out there but not too many quality releases. So artists usually focuse their music to something danceable so they can bring it on the stage. I guess that's why many artists are afraid to do something different with their music, but rather stick to the general public demanding dance type like full-on and the likes.

Guest The Journey Man Project

hehe most of the new labels are struggling, the latest Nabi newsletter almost says the exact same thing... idiots need to stop pirating and start spending... it's so easy to blame labels and artitsts, but it's wankers who download shit for free from torren's etc. that are fucking over the scene!

Yeah I missed the point because I didn't really know what the problem is, now I see. Well, Netlabels are a place for amateur artists to put their music on and be heard, so one day when their music reaches a certain level they could be contacted by commercial record labels and start making a living out of music. Unless you guys are actually trying to make a netlabel for really professional-level music, but nobody can make a living out of donations.

Yea? Well, count the labels releasing goa. 3? 4? Count the prog or fullon labels. 15? 20?

You seem to miss the poínt Malevol3nt, its not about hosting its about humans trying to make a living of what they enjoy most in life, its easy for you people to judge.. just clicking a mouse button and downloading music for free and not needing to see the people behind the funky artist names.

well, how about this - learn to earn money with work, dont expect a miracle to happen, dont expect to make a relatively stable income for living with psy or goa, unless you learn how to turn your music towards masses, you wont earn shit probably. as for gigs, well, im affraid lots of new goa released isnt even pale flashback from golden days, so...

It's best to work somewhere right now, release some music for free and then when you feel you've come to a certain point that your music really has some good quality you can contact a record label, send them some samples, tell them your music has been released on netlabels for several times and got good reviews. I don't think that the artists that release their music on netlabels are broke. They just want to get heard. Imo that's what netlabels are for.

@Malevol3nt

if your post was meant as reply to mine, then i must add that its not what im talking about, im not talking about ways how to get contract with label and have physical release and parties to play at. im talking about getting real and forgetting this bullshit! you want to live? - good, find yourself job, make something out of it and there you go! youll have money to live for, youll have time to spend for music production carelessly.

dont expect people to support your lifestyle and habbits just because you want so, just because youve imagined yourself as such in your head. also what supergroover said.

@Malevol3nt

if your post was meant as reply to mine, then i must add that its not what im talking about, im not talking about ways how to get contract with label and have physical release and parties to play at. im talking about getting real and forgetting this bullshit! you want to live? - good, find yourself job, make something out of it and there you go! youll have money to live for, youll have time to spend for music production carelessly.

dont expect people to support your lifestyle and habbits just because you want so, just because youve imagined yourself as such in your head. also what supergroover said.

Nah it wasnt a reply to you it was just a continued speech.

You seem to miss the poínt Malevol3nt, its not about hosting its about humans trying to make a living of what they enjoy most in life

How many people do you know make a living out of what they enjoy most in life?

I sure don't know many...Maybe it's because you *have to* do your job and you have to do it on continuous basis that

eventually make it feel like something you don't enjoy the most in life. I know some people that like what they do, but they would much rather do some other fun things in life than their job. Imagine you *had to* produce music all the time, regardless of whether you have inspiration or not, you had to do it by a certain hard deadline, it has to sound certain way, you have to compromise on you ideas, you have to talk to all the kinds of people you don't want to talk to to promote it, make friends with people you don't like so they push your release, ...all that to make a living.I bet that wouldn't be so much fun any more.

My point is if you want to make money off of something, whatever it is, you better be a proffesional, be very, very good at it and don't expect it to be a labor of love because there will be times when you don't feel like doing it and you'll still have to deliver in order to keep your job/get paid etc. If you want to be an amateur and do it for fun that's fine too. Asking for donations is no big deal really and I support it, but don't expect to get so much donation money off of it that you can make a living...unless you live in some dead bottom third world country where you can pay your rent for like 10 Euro or something and people from richer countries donate what would be a pocket change to them which I highly doubt is the case.

Don't get me wrong I fully support the idea of artists making their money but your business model doesn't seam like it's gonna get you where you want to be.

Hahaha to much blablabla oh noes the pussy cats are upset :wank: :drama: :rolleyes: mind your own business :lol: this thread is a lol just like you girlies