Not a review

abasio

His previous one wasn't that interesting and if this one is called Step Ina Rasta Step that is even less promising... :D

Not heard his 1st one. I've come to find that a lot of shittly titled music has been quite good these days. Never amazing but nice ;)

Bigbeat was still fairly new by then. The Prodigy just took it to 11. B) No dodgy nu-metal style powerchords necessary, as their beats were so monstrously powerful.

So we are not going to off topic in the review thread, I'll try & bring this here.

The prodigy were of course montrously good! Liam Howlette was one talented guy! But they did make their sound more commercial & did it well it seems.

IM have changed their style & people who are into Psytrance don't like it because it's not psytrance anymore. It is some wierd psy/nu-metal/hip-pop/CV hybrid that is obviously working for them. See how popular they've gotten?

• 2 weeks later...

I thought that was funny myself. I posted this review a while back, and now people are finally replying. Everyone disagrees with me, but its good to hear some feedback.

It's good to have your own taste ;)

I've not heard the album so I wont comment on it myself but Damion's review kind of put me of it :lol:

• 3 months later...

why haven't I bought this yet?

Yes I know this would make more sense in the actual thread but I don't want to disappear :P

Somehow this release has been swamped by things I want more. I can't remember when Cosmosis turned into an artist I didn't buy instantly :unsure:

Concerning Kukan Dub Lagan, I couldn't get into it until I had some friends come over to my place and well we smoked :) Perception of this album changed dramatically ;)

A stoner album then?

I am no longer a stoner :(

• 2 months later...

Right on - well actually I do like these albums - I'm not saying I dislike them, I'm just saying I'm not impressed by how homogenous the Ultimae sound is... Fahrenheit 2 & 3 are a couple of my favorite downtempo compils ever, and I love many tracks I hear by Ultimae artists - but I can *always* tell when it's from Ultimae...

Why is it always that ultra-serious moody ambient with lots of pads? - I agree that each album is its own "flavor", but to my ears it's all just variations on the same theme, with a very very similar "feeling-tone"...

It shouldn't be so easy to predict what a release is going to sound like...

I think I'm just starved to hear some really original psychedelic music - and so I've been listening to some of the classic psytrance albums recently, the groundbreaking ones like "The Gathering", "Radio", "Cryptic Crunch", "Dragon Tales" and I remember what it's like to hear something truly unique that has its own voice - thank-God for albums like those!

These Ultimae artists, they don't have their own unique voices, or well differentiated sound IMO - I can easily distinguish the Shpongle sound from the Bluetech sound, for instance, and the Ott sound from the Abakus sound - but I have a very hard time differentiating the Ultimae artists from each other in any major way...

So as not to go to far off topic in a review thread I'll continue this here.

All artists seem to have their own signature & Ultimae have extended that to the whole label! It's like they have created their own style but I can tell a solar fields track from a CBL track from an Asura track, maybe because I listen to them too much!

Can't you differentiate sync24 (very soft ambient beats) from Asura (very heavy slow beats)?

I never realised it was ultra serious ambient but now you mention it I suppose it is serious! I like serious sometimes, I like fun sometimes. If I want fun I'll look elsewhere.

I suppose as we get further into a genre we stop having ground breaking albums! The first ambient ones were groundbreaking as were the 1st goa 6 psy but what came after that were better :o even though they weren't as groundbreaking (someone is going to shoot me for this opinion right?:P) The recent output from ultimae for me is some of the best music I've ever heard! I really get into it, each album takes me away on a different journey! Each build for me a different atmosphere, I can tell by the pictures created in my mind which artist & even which album I'm listening to. Not everytime but most of the time ;)

Plus solar fields new album on Ultimae is going to be a trance album so it's also going to be different.

To tell the truth I struggle to tell the difference between Twisted's recent output! All the artists IMO sound very similar & I can't tell who I'm listening to (not heard the new YB yet though) & all their comps have very similar tracks with little variation. I know however that I am wrong because other people who like twisted more than I do find a lot of variation once they have dug deeper than I can be arsed to! But Twisted also seems to have a similar signature, ie what the top guys like. If they don't like it then they aren't going to release it right? Most of these guys are actually in it for the music not the cash! I suppose that the guys at ultimae like what they like & release it that way!

would it be possible for mods to move off topic conversations about music in the reviews here instead of deleting them? If it's not to much work! (this last line is not meant to be sarcastic (even though it sounds it) I just don't know what it takes to delete & move things, if deleting is easier) Some of the off topic stuff for example in the Eat Static thread was quite interesting and while obviously shouldn't be kept in the review thread it was sad to see it deleted!

Nothing gets deleted, we just set the posts invisible. It is possible to move the posts, yeah.

It takes less time to set them invisible, of course. Separating the off topics posts from the review means creating a new topic in the General section, and then selecting the off topics posts and moving them to the new thread.

However, we don't want to encourage people to post off topic in the Reviews section, thinking: "Let those suckre mods deal with the hassle of moving the posts".

I can split the Eat Static review topic, but the flow of the posts might look a bit weird. You want me to do it?

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's an okay album. I thought I'd give Posford another try after liking one or two things from the first Younger Brother album. A lot of this is reminiscent of Are You Shpongled?, but without what I thought was a certain amount of mystery and surprise that album had. The production and technical subtlety of The Last Days of Gravity is admittedly exquisite, but like most of Posford's stuff, in my opinion, it lacks emotional subtlety, not to mention profundity or elegance. There are some decent hooks here and there, and some stuff that would make a technician cream himself, but there's nothing that really makes me want to keep listening to it for purely emotional reasons, which is what I listen to music for.

That said, with all the technical intricacy going on, I bet smoking some stiff drugs would once again really help this one blossom. Meanwhile, unless the P-man somehow gains a knack for effective stylization, I'm through. Again.

Radi's gonna slap your bitch ass for that comment!

I chose The Trentmoller Chronicles over this one (YB last days of gravity) good choice? Bad Choice?

• 2 months later...

Well, perhaps it a greatest hits collection? It is nice to have all the tracks in place. I actually don't like them on the comps, they sound too different from the other material on the comps.

I think Steve Roach is instructive here, his tracks are massive long and don't go anywhere, they change, but don't reach a destination. There are just so many artists who are capable of creating an interesting 3-4 minutes of ideas, but then try and stretch those ideas out into long mixes which end up making you sick and tired of the ideas you liked. In other words, the material overstays its welcome.

My opinion is that the long ambient tracks are okay, but get old really fast. I think the gold standard is:

FSOL Lifeforms.

http://www.discogs.com/release/1130474

Lots of mini tracks on there.

I think ambient died in the 1990s because people got board with the long over indulgent tracks.

:)

Interesting! I'd agree that artists like Steve Roach tend to be too minimal for some but it all comes down to taste. I know some people on this forum that love steve roach to bits. I myself never got into his music. Artists like steve roach make too much music & fail to keep up the quality. I'm sure they make some good stuff but it's hard to find it when they release 3 albums a year (steve roach released 3 albums last year, 1 2CD & 2 3CDs and has already released a 2 CD in 2008) I just don't have the patience to sift through his mountains of production. A lot of ambient artists make too much stuff. If they could put more effort into one album I'm sure I'd be more interested in them.

I also thought that the short tracks in lifeforms felt more like transmissions rather than real tracks but that's just my taste again.

I really don't think ambient died, there has been some great stuff this century & I hope it continues :)

• 11 months later...

It's not absurd to call it a masterpiece, i didn't say that. And it's not absurd to say it's one of YOUR favorite albums ever.... But it is absurd to call it the best album ever in music history. There's maybe 5000 people in the world who knows about this release... It isn't played in the radio, mainstream people don't like it and think it sounds wierd!

But look, i didn't mean to start a disgussion, i just found your statement funny, that's all... Let's not disguss over a great album, now let some room for the actual reviewing :)

Sorry but that review thread has been completely destroyed thanks to stupid comments about an straight forward comment by Melancholy Man.

He said this was one of the best albums ever. Why the hell should he have to put IMO or my favourite ever? Are people here really so dumb they can't notice a subjective comment? Hell reviews are always subjective, it's your taste you will judge it on. Show me an objective review & I will show you a review I haven't read because it was probably too boring to.

If I read that Melancholyman has said this is the best album in history I'm not automatically going to reorder my opinions am I? No I will take it face value that what he is saying is what he thinks, not what I think. Damn I wish people would think for themselves, and those that do I wish they would stop thinking other people are trying to force their own opinions on them.

PS

this is not really a reply to Buzzman, nothing refers to you, Buzzman was just the last post in the review thread that I think has gotten out of hand. There is only one review and the rest is meaningless bullshit about one comment in the review. I hope a mod cleans that up soon.

new cd is rather crap imho.. i liked the first one.. but none of this new stuff..

Well I liked the first release from Kukan a lot, it was a nice and different atmosphere for the trip. He sent me his second release for a review. I didn't like it as much as the first one and I still over a year ago haven't made a review. I'll do that soon enough. If you have the first release and you think it's Ok, no need for the second. If you love the first one and you NEED more of it's sound.. The second release is a must.

What is this thread about?

What is this thread about?

It was an attempt to limit the shit written in all the review threads but it was a total failure. Just look at the solar fields - movement thread, just a day old and it's already completely and totally full of complete shit. Better to delete the entire thing and start again if it wasn't for the initial post that is an actual review. 17 posts and one review is crap even for a review liberal like myself <_<