A few tips for discussing music

alleycat

After seeing all manner of strange things that people post in response to other's posts about music they enjoy, Ive thought of a few pointers to discuss music and your opinions thereof, without alienating anyone, including yourself!

Im not trying to say, "YOU MUST ALL DO THIS." These are some simple courtesies to help us all have a much better, and happier, time discussing the music we love (or not). Do what you will!

1. ALWAYS REMEMBER: Your opinion is only YOUR opinion, and not a fact. Only you can decide what you like for yourself.

2. No one else's opinions are wrong. No opinion is wrong, or right for that matter. Everyone has one. Right or wrong have nothing to do with it.

3. If you don't agree with another's opinion of music, great! But that doesnt mean either of you are idiots for disagreeing.

4. If you don't like the music, thats fine! But that doesnt mean that the music is essentially bad. Others have different perspectives, and may find things enjoyable, which you may not. Thats the way it is.

5. Goa and Psytrance are 2 different things. Comparing Goa to modern psytrance is like comparing Elvis to Yes. Keep that in mind.

6. You can offend people easily when it comes to music they love very much. Keep that in mind, when expressing your opinion. Remember #2.

7. We all can have an amazing time here, sharing opinions and having passionate arguments. But its up to all of us collectively to contribute to this. Arguments are not battles. Remember that when you let emotions govern what you say, reason flies out the window. Try to stay calm! Remember the Special Olympics...

thats about all I can think of.

Once again Im not trying to manipulate anyone, Im not trying to make rules, and Im DEFINITELY not trying to be a Moderator...

It seems to me if we all keep these few courtesies in mind when having discussions we can avoid a lot of grief!

But do what you will!

(mods: if this is the wrong place, can you move it for me? thanks and sorry! ;) )

That's a nice idea

Shame it just takes on git to ruin it!

I really think that people should just try and be a little more mature when discussing music (or anything) here & then these discussions could go a lot better. Unfortunately some people take such offence to the smallest of comments & explode!!!

If I choose the yellow stone over the gold, thats my decision.

3. If you don't agree with another's opinion of music, great! But that doesnt mean either of you are idiots for disagreeing.

Posted Image

5. Goa and Psytrance are 2 different things. Comparing Goa to modern psytrance is like comparing Elvis to Yes. Keep that in mind.

Well, to be honest, goa and psytrance and today's psy-music are IMO different things... At some point in time (97-99) goa and psytrance co-existed simultaneously, but now they both are more or less non existent. Now we have mostly full-on, dark/tech-trance, progressive & chill/downbeat... Which is great

My 0.02$ :)