mastering software

Actually, though, if you're serious about good sound and you don't have much experience mastering, pay a mastering engineer to do it. Provided you don't use someone who does a square wave rectification job on your music (meaning squashes the shit out of it so it's super loud), you will be glad you did it.

im saying that I dont know what the best is, because i have by far not tried them all ;):D

634680[/snapback]

so you know something about mastering

wanna share how you do?

i think many ppl are interested.

o´ course you keep your secrets

so you know something about mastering

wanna share how you do?

i think many ppl are interested.

o´ course you keep your secrets

634707[/snapback]

the mastering guru on this forum is Colin OOOD :)

There are 2 approaches here I think when it comes to the software, and how people want to use it:

1) Software that will try to do everything for you, including presets & analyzers.

2) Software that provides you more flexible tools for applying theory & knowledge.

Also of note, I think some people's idea's of what mastering is differs from others. Some people may consider EQing all your sounds to fit together mastering, while other may say that is part of the mixing process. Even others will say you sound be paying attention to this in the composing/arranging process. (i.e. I remember Alex Patterson of the Orb once saying in an interview it took 20 minutes to mix & master 'Little Fluffly Clouds' because he made sure different sounds weren't interfering with each other to begin with in the composing stage).

Might be able to provide more helpful info if you could describe more of what your looking to do.

I don't know what the 'best' software is; most mastering houses I've been to in the past 10 years have used Sadie for playback/recording and as a plugin host. However these studios all use esoteric hardware that neither I nor most of you guys have access to, so in this case the issue of software is misleading. Personally I have a complicated hybrid setup based on Sound Forge which provides a lot of flexibility within the limitations of my budget:

Hardware:

PC with onboard soundcard

YAMAHA DS2416 sound card w. AX44 I/O expansion (4 in, 4 out)

Focusrite Compounder compressor

Software:

Sound Forge

Cubase SX

PROBLEM

I want to use Sound Forge to master stuff because the plugin chainer rocks. I also want to use my Focusrite Compounder compressor as part of my mastering chain. If you know Sound Forge you will see the problem here; Sound Forge can only deal with one set of stereo outputs at a time and will not work in any form of duplex mode (ie playback and recording simultaneously). I also want to be able to move the Compounder to anywhere in the chain at will.

SOLUTION

Run SX and Sound Forge simultaneously on the same machine and use Wormhole2 to pass audio between them as necessary. SX can work with multi I/O sound cards so use this to get audio to/from the Compounder and the DS2416/AX44. 3x Wormhole2 in Insert mode between Sound Forge and SX allow the Compounder to appear as a single plugin in the Sound Forge plugin chainer, whilst another 2x Wormhole2 in Direct mode allow mastered audio to be output from the end of the Sound Forge plugin chainer and passed to SX where it can be monitored and recorded. Sound Forge is set to use the onboard sound card while SX uses the Yamaha ASIO drivers; mastering chain bypass is obtained by bypassing the plugin chainer and listening to the output from the onboard soundcard.

Signal path:

Playback from Sound Forge into SF plugin chainer -> plugins -> Wormhole2 -> SX -> Compounder -> SX -> Wormhole2 -> Sound Forge plugin chainer -> plugins -> Wormhole2 -> SX

It's complicated but works very well indeed :D

If anyone here wants stuff mastered just let me know. I'll do you a free 2-minute sample and you can decide from there if it's worth it for you... unfortunately I can't offer my services for free but Psynews members get a discount!

If anyone here wants stuff mastered just let me know.  I'll do you a free 2-minute sample and you can decide from there if it's worth it for you... unfortunately I can't offer my services for free but Psynews members get a discount!

636816[/snapback]

thats some cool deal colin :)

can you say how much would it cost to master an whole album?

Stuff like that is best discussed in a PM :)  Let me know how many tracks, and any other details you think relevant.

638581[/snapback]

ja dude :)

thought could be interesting for the crowd what prize range that actually is

if we, i, finnish our album then i write you pm, thx :)

I don't know what the 'best' software is; most mastering houses I've been to in the past 10 years have used Sadie for playback/recording and as a plugin host.  However these studios all use esoteric hardware that neither I nor most of you guys have access to, so in this case the issue of software is misleading.  Personally I have a complicated hybrid setup based on Sound Forge which provides a lot of flexibility within the limitations of my budget:

Hardware:

PC with onboard soundcard

YAMAHA DS2416 sound card w. AX44 I/O expansion (4 in, 4 out)

Focusrite Compounder compressor

Software:

Sound Forge

Cubase SX

PROBLEM

I want to use Sound Forge to master stuff because the plugin chainer rocks.  I also want to use my Focusrite Compounder compressor as part of my mastering chain.  If you know Sound Forge you will see the problem here; Sound Forge can only deal with one set of stereo outputs at a time and will not work in any form of duplex mode (ie playback and recording simultaneously).  I also want to be able to move the Compounder to anywhere in the chain at will.

SOLUTION

Run SX and Sound Forge simultaneously on the same machine and use Wormhole2 to pass audio between them as necessary.  SX can work with multi I/O sound cards so use this to get audio to/from the Compounder and the DS2416/AX44.  3x Wormhole2 in Insert mode between Sound Forge and SX allow the Compounder to appear as a single plugin in the Sound Forge plugin chainer, whilst another 2x Wormhole2 in Direct mode allow mastered audio to be output from the end of the Sound Forge plugin chainer and passed to SX where it can be monitored and recorded.  Sound Forge is set to use the onboard sound card while SX uses the Yamaha ASIO drivers; mastering chain bypass is obtained by bypassing the plugin chainer and listening to the output from the onboard soundcard.

Signal path:

Playback from Sound Forge into SF plugin chainer -> plugins -> Wormhole2 -> SX -> Compounder -> SX -> Wormhole2 -> Sound Forge plugin chainer -> plugins -> Wormhole2 -> SX

It's complicated but works very well indeed :D

636816[/snapback]

thank u for sharing this with us. thank u for a complicated help :blink:

main thing for me is equalising. wats u say about that?

638699[/snapback]

I think Izotope Ozone might be a good choice. I like the balance between ease of use, flexibility, and an organized work layout, particular the graphing. There are quite a few other mastering tools in it as well.

I think Izotope Ozone might be a good choice. I like the balance between ease of use, flexibility, and an organized work layout, particular the graphing. There are quite a few other mastering tools in it as well.

639604[/snapback]

haha. i was just trying to download that yesterday thinking what is it :)

tnank u for da help bro :)