The Year Of...

Basilisk

1991-93: Eat Static, the ep´s on Alien Records are amazing.

1994-95: Hallucinogen, LSD in 94 and Twisted in 95. Perfection.

1996: I can´t choose one here. Too many great records from this year. Chakra & Edi Mis, Doof, Brainman, MFG, Total Eclipse, Evolution, Transwave, Man With No Name and of course Psychonauts - Return to Earth 12". And I bought my first goa record this year, Asia 2001 - Strange World

1997: Easy one, Koxbox. Sorry Hallucinogen but Dragon Tales has to be the one this year...

1998: Sandman, his first album is one of the best ever. Even if I listened more, much more to Va - Morning in Space and Va - Karahana that year.

1999: It started with Holymen - C4, but the Last Universe was too much for me. I was tired of the victory music, then something happened. I herd Atmos live and...

2000: Koxbox again. The Great Unknown released in late 1999 lasted through this year. I have to mention Process - One Drop or Two and one of the best tracks this century Tortured Brain - The Dealer.

2001: Two tracks stands out this year. Tim Schuldt - Pale and Doof - The Second Revelation. Prometheus, The Antidote and Vatos Locos also released great records this year.

2002: The Unusual Suspects!!! And The Antidote again.

2003: Eat Static & Man Made Man - Regen, that track is amazing. Younger Brother of course.

2004: Prometheus - Robot-O-Chan

2005: The Unusual Suspects 2

i second that

it was all rhino that year

:)

611069[/snapback]

Yeah, a great year for Flying Rhino, but none of those albums are considered the best ever.

2002: Astrix (ok, maybe not the best act around, but definitely the most hyped act at the time)

2004: Son Kite (I guess everyone remember their 4 releases in the "Colours" concept that year)

611074[/snapback]

I thought this was supposed to be an unpersonalized, unbiased list. ;)

2000: Koxbox again. The Great Unknown released in late 1999 lasted through this year.

611398[/snapback]

No way! Good album (not great), musically diverse and popular, but not nearly as groundbreaking as other albums from the same year. One example: Vibrasphere came out with what could be considered the first dub/progressive tracks on Echo, and that style is huge now. And let's not forget Logic Bomb, The Delta, and Atmos.

No way! Good album (not great), musically diverse and popular, but not nearly as groundbreaking as other albums from the same year. One example: Vibrasphere came out with what could be considered the first dub/progressive tracks on Echo, and that style is huge now. And let's not forget Logic Bomb, The Delta, and Atmos.

611431[/snapback]

The Delta - Scizoeffective was released in 1999. Good album, nothing more. With Atmos you´re right. Headcleaner is one of the best albums that year. When I herd him live (as I mentioned in my previous post) in 1999, that was something special. I´ve always disliked the prog/minimal style but Atmos is one of the artists that I do like, no, I love his music. Vibrasphere and Logic Bomb disappeared in the masses of Intact Instinct, Haldolium(1999), Son Kite, Shiva Chandra and all the others.

Koxbox on the other hand. The Great Unknown is a groundbreaking album, even if no artist tried to make the same music. Nobody in the goa/psy-scene sounded like that, still nobody today. It was a huge hit back then. IMO it´s the best album of this century.

BTW first progg-track must be one of Planet BEN or X-Dream, maybe Der Dritte Raum.

The Delta - Scizoeffective was released in 1999. Good album, nothing more. With Atmos you´re right.  Headcleaner is one of the best albums that year. When I herd him live (as I mentioned in my previous post) in 1999, that was something special. I´ve always disliked the prog/minimal style but Atmos is one of the artists that I do like, no, I love his music. Vibrasphere and Logic Bomb disappeared in the masses of Intact Instinct, Haldolium(1999), Son Kite, Shiva Chandra and all the others.

Koxbox on the other hand. The Great Unknown is a groundbreaking album, even if no artist tried to make the same music. Nobody in the goa/psy-scene sounded like that, still nobody today. It was a huge hit back then. IMO it´s the best album of this century.

611464[/snapback]

The Delta album was released in late late december 1999 so it's just as much a 2000 release as The Great Unknown (TGU).

TGU was/is indeed a great album, but it is, IMO, not as important as The Delta's Scizoeffective album. Delta's debut started a new style but the same can't be said about TGU. You might find that TGU is the better album but Scizoeffective is the most important of the two.

Truth be told, although I think Scizoeffective is more important (and just flat out better, in my opinion), than The Great Unknown, I think X-Dream's Radio, released in 1998, is more important than Scizoeffective for that sub-genre. In other words, it seems to me that Radio opened up the door for Scizoeffective. In which case, although an incredible album, the latter may not qualify for "The Year of..." award.

Truth be told, although I think Scizoeffective is more important (and just flat out better, in my opinion), than The Great Unknown, I think X-Dream's Radio, released in 1998, is more important than Scizoeffective for that sub-genre. In other words, it seems to me that Radio opened up the door for Scizoeffective. In which case, although an incredible album, the latter may not qualify for "The Year of..." award.

611713[/snapback]

I agree, RADIO is the foundation of what we call nowadays tech trance. Absolute brilliance ! But I still find Scizoeffective darker and more insane... :D

The Delta album was released in late late december 1999 so it's just as much a 2000 release as The Great Unknown (TGU).

611584[/snapback]

It was?? Ok, my memory faild me.

:o

Now that was really nice humble opinion of the album.  <_<

611706[/snapback]

It´s just my opinion. I know it´s popular and all that, but I don´t like it that much.

I think X-Dream's Radio, released in 1998, is more important than Scizoeffective for that sub-genre. In other words, it seems to me that Radio opened up the door for Scizoeffective. In which case, although an incredible album, the latter may not qualify for "The Year of..." award.

611713[/snapback]

I agree. Let´s not forget Planet B.E.N - Trippy Future Garden and Der Dritte Raum - Wellenbad released in 1996.

i second that

it was all rhino that year

:)

611069[/snapback]

Yeah, a great year for Flying Rhino, but none of those albums are considered the best ever.

611427[/snapback]

Well I think

Technossomy - Synthetic Flesh

&

Green Nuns Of The Revolution - Rock Bitch Mafia

are some of the best ever music :)

Funnily enough, I was just listening to the samples of this new VA at Psyshop which is very much like the early 00's minimal:

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/ewo/ewo1cd001.html

i thought the same actually.. just listened to it..

omg what a boring album.. thats the reason why i didnt like progressive at first. i dont hope its going back in that direction..

did we not forget cosma some where along the line?

i mean his first album was kick ass.. but his second was brilliant..

and the third one.. oh man.. we can only guess...

*reminds himself to play cosma- non stop next gig

soooo 2003 = cosma.. anyone disagree?