Cubase 4

There's a lot of good stuff in there for sure but also some glaring omissions - sidechaining (although this will be in an update to v4 at some point) and group re-ordering/routing restrictions, both basic needs of mine but ya... TBH though if you're considering moving from Reason there's nothing crucial in C4 that SX3 is missing IMO.

There's a lot of good stuff in there for sure but also some glaring omissions - sidechaining (although this will be in an update to v4 at some point) and group re-ordering/routing restrictions, both basic needs of mine but ya... TBH though if you're considering moving from Reason there's nothing crucial in C4 that SX3 is missing IMO.

606928[/snapback]

Thanks for the info, Colin. I'm not altogether familiar with SX3, but what struck me as interesting about version 4 is the inclusion of lots of nice plug-ins and some tasty looking synths. Does SX3 have some really solid onboard synths? I don't want to be forced to look for 3rd party synths, effects and sounds if I don't have to. Also, they claim they've really cleaned up some of the main sections, like the mixer section. Your opinion, Master? :)

well u can always use both and rewire

606962[/snapback]

Yeah, but if the onboard synths on Cubase 4 are better than Subtractor (which I really like) and Maelstrom (which I don't like much at all), then I would just get rid of Reason altogether.

No SX Three has no real good synths in the package (IMO). But it is a good program, and the possibilites are bigger than in Reason (I have worked a LOT in Reason).

There are a lot of good programs out there though (Programs meaning VSTi's) that are even for free, and have a stunning result. :)

I dont know about Cubase4. I will have to look into it better, but as normal, you prolly wont be able to Beta test it :(

I am looking at Ableton 6, at the moment as an addition to SX3 :) Live seems to be very cool for LIVE :)

No SX Three has no real good synths in the package (IMO). But it is a good program, and the possibilites are bigger than in Reason (I have worked a LOT in Reason).

There are a lot of good programs out there though (Programs meaning VSTi's) that are even for free, and have a stunning result. :)

I dont know about Cubase4. I will have to look into it better, but as normal, you prolly wont be able to Beta test it :(

I am looking at Ableton 6, at the moment as an addition to SX3 :) Live seems to be very cool for LIVE :)

607054[/snapback]

Yeah, Reason got limited quickly. I mean, it's a powerful program, but it has some major flaws, like not being able to record vocals, not accepting VSTis, one of its two synths sucks, and not being very good for overall production. So yeah, it was fun, but time to move on.

It also appears Cubase has included some Ableton Live-like elements in version 4. Smart.

Here's a link to Cubase 4.

Yeah, Reason got limited quickly. I mean, it's a powerful program, but it has some major flaws, like not being able to record vocals, not accepting VSTis, one of its two synths sucks, and not being very good for overall production. So yeah, it was fun, but time to move on.

It also appears Cubase has included some Ableton Live-like elements in version 4. Smart.

Here's a link to Cubase 4.

607064[/snapback]

Yeah, ive seen the stuff that is new on the steinberg pages (signed up for a newsletter hehe). Anyways, Yes totally agree with your about the limitations. But for a beginner with Cubase, I dont think that you will actually see a big diffrence between them start with.

Cubase is HUGE! I am maybe using 5% of the features of it. I am learning new stuff every day. I have used Cubase since Atari and cubase1 and I feel very confortable in the WAY of working with it, but it has given me A LOT of problems lately. I have gotten rid of those though :D

Yeah, ive seen the stuff that is new on the steinberg pages (signed up for a newsletter hehe). Anyways, Yes totally agree with your about the limitations. But for a beginner with Cubase, I dont think that you will actually see a big diffrence between them start with.

Cubase is HUGE! I am maybe using 5% of the features of it. I am learning new stuff every day. I have used Cubase since Atari and cubase1 and I feel very confortable in the WAY of working with it, but it has given me A LOT of problems lately. I have gotten rid of those though :D

607068[/snapback]

I'm ready for "HUGE!" I thought I wanted something all-inclusive, which is why I got Reason, but it didn't take long to notice all the things it didn't include that I really needed.

nemo and Colin: You've both worked with Cubase and Reason. In your opinions, is there anything Reason has that you wish Cubase had? And is there another comparable PC-friendly program in a similar price range you'd currently choose over Cubase?

I'm ready for "HUGE!" I thought I wanted something all-inclusive, which is why I got Reason, but it didn't take long to notice all the things it didn't include that I really needed.

nemo and Colin: You've both worked with Cubase and Reason. In your opinions, is there anything Reason has that you wish Cubase had? And is there another comparable PC-friendly program in a similar price range you'd currently choose over Cubase?

607082[/snapback]

In short, NO! :) The thing is, Cubase doesnt have it all out of the package, but you can enhance it pretty easy, and you can enhance it YOUR way. Flexibility is the keyword. :)

I dont know, Sonar maybe? Dont take my word on that thoug! :)

Yeah, thought it was weird at first as well, but it makes sense... History of Releases from Steinberg, and I wont include the early Commodore nor Pro24 version ;)

Cubase 1.0

Cubase Audio

Cubase 3.0

Cubase VST

Cubase SX

As I understand it, this is Cubase 4 and not VST4 or SX4... the four is just the next one in a PLAIN Cubase release :D

or something like that :) and okey I missed some releases in the above list, but it was to show the history in brief!! :D

Remember that the 'SX' in Cubase SX was originally meant to imply version six, as it came out after VST 5.1... this makes Cubase 4 actually Cubase version 10!

To answer your question: I really like the RV7000 and Scream 4 in Reason, and right now I'm very happy with Cubase SX3/Cubase v9 :)

To answer your question:  I really like the RV7000 and Scream 4 in Reason... :)

610259[/snapback]

Thanks for the response, Colin. I do, too, actually. The Scream unit has really been growing on me for its ability to create intriguing sounds.

Still, it seems to be very worth the extra money for all the additions (especially the on-board synths and plug-ins), as well as the updates and clean-ups, in Cubase 4 compared to SX3.

whats this scream?

sry dont use cubase anymore

610390[/snapback]

Scream is from Reason. It's basically a distortion module with lots of cool adjustable settings like tube, tape and overdrive, a small EQ, and more. Great for drums, and a way to add character to other sounds. Stacking them or sandwiching them makes for some very interesting stuff indeed.

• 3 weeks later...

Got it today. Will wait to install it and dive into it when I have the time to dedicate to it - maybe this weekend. Until then I'll start browsing the big ol' manuals that came with it. Very exciting. I think I've grown perky little girly breasts. :)

Got it today. Will wait to install it and dive into it when I have the time to dedicate to it - maybe this weekend. Until then I'll start browsing the big ol' manuals that came with it. Very exciting. I think I've grown perky little girly breasts. :)

622914[/snapback]

:lol:

Cool! You got it! I really can't wait to hear what you got in store for us :)

:lol:

Cool! You got it! I really can't wait to hear what you got in store for us :)

622917[/snapback]

Go ahead with yourself, Symph! :lol:

Yeah, man, I get the feeling this is going to be really effin' fun. :D

(After the wicked learning curve is done, that is.) ;)

622914[/snapback]

How much did you pay for cubase4 in the us?!

Sonar is teh pwn! B)

But no, seriously. It used to be crappy, laggy and with some obvious bugs i.e. it would forget what controller an automation track is linked to. But all this is fixed in the new sonar 6, im really impressed with it. It's suprisingly easy to set a controller on your midi/keyboard to control a vst/effect, killargh! :rolleyes:

Sonar is teh pwn!  B)

But no, seriously. It used to be crappy, laggy and with some obvious bugs i.e. it would forget what controller an automation track is linked to. But all this is fixed in the new sonar 6, im really impressed with it. It's suprisingly easy to set a controller on your midi/keyboard to control a vst/effect, killargh!  :rolleyes:

623933[/snapback]

Cubase = Sonar? :huh: