Cubase 4

so damn expensive... I recently spend the same amount in € on a new PC 

Have fun with it Otto

if you want to do everything legal you may have to spend lots more on VSTi's ;)

http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=komplete4_us

like this (WOW @ Komplete 4....must....have)

624165[/snapback]

I'm being optimistic and considering it an investment. Fortunately, this time around they included some synths and various other plug-ins in the package, so combined with the Reason synths and effects I should be just fine for some time to come.

I simply don't have the heart to rip these music software designers off by pirating their stuff. I mean, they're as creative as some of the best musicians, and I feel I need to pay them for their magic.

Meanwhile, I can't help thinking that there must be some sort of psychological curse to using stolen stuff to create, that it would always be in the back of my mind and would make my music suffer (more than it does already). :D

LOL

Here's my faggoty answer: Not sure. Will have to check when I get home. Pretty sure it's 4.01.

626440[/snapback]

what the faggot I meant was if it was cubase studio 4 faggot or just plain fagotty cubase4 :D

:)

It's super-faggotty 4. No faggoty "studio" stuff.

626459[/snapback]

Haha okey man :) THe price makes sense to me now then. My upgrade will cost me almost 500 euro I think, so I am going to wait for some time...

Haha okey man :) THe price makes sense to me now then. My upgrade will cost me almost 500 euro I think, so I am going to wait for some time...

626464[/snapback]

This is my first experience with Cubase and I'm totally blown away by how much more advanced (and complicated) it is compared to Reason. And how, for instance, to my sheer delight, the sounds are so much more usable and interesting.

However, taking into consideration what Colin says about it, they've made some changes and added a bunch of VST synths and stuff, but if you're already used to SX and already have a bunch of sound modules, it might not be necessary for you.

• 4 months later...

It appears that the recent Cubase 4 update (4.0.2) is more stable, which makes me happy. I haven't touched the damn thing since October because it was flaky out of the box. However, it seems it has the tendency to crash on people willy-nilly. ...

It appears that the recent Cubase 4 update (4.0.2) is more stable, which makes me happy. I haven't touched the damn thing since October because it was flaky out of the box. However, it seems it has the tendency to crash on people willy-nilly. ...

4.0.2 is crashing too?

Back in 2000 or 2001 I bought Logic Audio Silver for $400. and I think I used it three times before diching the damn thing for something simpler.

It had a diskette that allowed me to install it three times and with new computers/crashes that went fast...

I feel for you Auto, that sucks.

Well, fortunately, my biggest problem from before - an inordinate amount of CPU hogging - seems to be solved now. I haven't given it a good spin since the update, so I don't know if it's going to crash on me regularly. If it doesn't, then I think I'll have spent good money (which was a lot). So I'm actually optimistic. Meanwhile, I think it's going to be hard to leave Reason for good, since it's such a super-stable and easy program to work with, and we've had a very fun and active year together. Ultimately, I think finding a nice balance between the two will be ideal.

Well, fortunately, my biggest problem from before - an inordinate amount of CPU hogging - seems to be solved now. I haven't given it a good spin since the update, so I don't know if it's going to crash on me regularly. If it doesn't, then I think I'll have spent good money (which was a lot). So I'm actually optimistic. Meanwhile, I think it's going to be hard to leave Reason for good, since it's such a super-stable and easy program to work with, and we've had a very fun and active year together. Ultimately, I think finding a nice balance between the two will be ideal.

Something for you to try, Per. Next Reason track you make, don't use the Reason mixers at all but Rewire each sound individually to Cubase 4, and balance it there. You can still use Reason devices in the chain for each sound but avoid the mixers. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Something for you to try, Per. Next Reason track you make, don't use the Reason mixers at all but Rewire each sound individually to Cubase 4, and balance it there. You can still use Reason devices in the chain for each sound but avoid the mixers. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

+1 :)

I've been meaning to try this, Colin, when Cubase came out with a more stable update, especially since you've been recommending this for some time. Now I just have to figure out how to do it. Are there decent instructions in the Cubase manuals? Or maybe a good source on the Internet?

I've been meaning to try this, Colin, when Cubase came out with a more stable update, especially since you've been recommending this for some time. Now I just have to figure out how to do it. Are there decent instructions in the Cubase manuals? Or maybe a good source on the Internet?

First start Cubase. When Cubase has fully loaded (important!) start Reason. Reason is now running in Rewire mode and can output audio only to Cubase. Next (assuming the menu structure is the same as in SX3):

Devices -> Reason brings up the Reason Rewire channel window. Activate as many Reason channels as you think you'll need; you can always activate more later if you need to. Each channel you activate shows up in the Cubase mixer (make sure Rewire channels are not hidden). Then in Reason, connect your devices to the appropriate inputs of the Reason Hardware Interface. Now use the Cubase mixer to balance your track and add send FX etc. Note that channels 1 & 2 are the only stereo pair - to work with stereo sources coming out of Reason I tend to put each Reason channel pair into a stereo Group channel in Cubase, then hide those Rewire channels and work only on the group. If you also use groups as FX sends, or will be further grouping your Reason channels it's essential to create a large number of groups at the start of the project and use only low-numbered groups to combine stereo Rewire channels. This is down to a limitation in the Cubase audio engine (unfixed as of Cubase 4.0.2) and is a FUCKING HASSLE but there you go.

If you want to use Cubase to sequence devices in Reason, note that when running in Rewire mode, each device created in Reason becomes available as a MIDI output in the Cubase Track Inspector. To automate Reason parameters you'll need to look up the CC table for each device; it's in the Start Menu as 'MIDI Implementation Charts.pdf'.

Hope this helps!

First start Cubase. When Cubase has fully loaded (important!) start Reason. Reason is now running in Rewire mode and can output audio only to Cubase. Next (assuming the menu structure is the same as in SX3):

Devices -> Reason brings up the Reason Rewire channel window. Activate as many Reason channels as you think you'll need; you can always activate more later if you need to. Each channel you activate shows up in the Cubase mixer (make sure Rewire channels are not hidden). Then in Reason, connect your devices to the appropriate inputs of the Reason Hardware Interface. Now use the Cubase mixer to balance your track and add send FX etc. Note that channels 1 & 2 are the only stereo pair - to work with stereo sources coming out of Reason I tend to put each Reason channel pair into a stereo Group channel in Cubase, then hide those Rewire channels and work only on the group. If you also use groups as FX sends, or will be further grouping your Reason channels it's essential to create a large number of groups at the start of the project and use only low-numbered groups to combine stereo Rewire channels. This is down to a limitation in the Cubase audio engine (unfixed as of Cubase 4.0.2) and is a FUCKING HASSLE but there you go.

If you want to use Cubase to sequence devices in Reason, note that when running in Rewire mode, each device created in Reason becomes available as a MIDI output in the Cubase Track Inspector. To automate Reason parameters you'll need to look up the CC table for each device; it's in the Start Menu as 'MIDI Implementation Charts.pdf'.

Hope this helps!

Colin, you are my hero to share this information with me. I'm going to try this tonight when I get home from work. :D

Hope this helps!

Don't you have to activate it first in Cubase and THEN you start it? :) It was like that in SX2 thats for sure. I haven't even gotten Reason installed now, so I couldn't test it :(

Don't you have to activate it first in Cubase and THEN you start it? :) It was like that in SX2 thats for sure. I haven't even gotten Reason installed now, so I couldn't test it :(

Nope... I'm pretty sure you can turn on Reason channels at any time, even if Reason itself isn't running. The only thing that needs to happen in order for Rewire to work properly is to start Cubase first, then Reason.

Okay, the farthest I was able to get last night was having Cubase trigger Reason's sequencer. But I was unable to get individual tracks into the Cubase mixer. I was able to assign different instruments to different channels, and Cubase was picking up a MIDI signal, but I wasn't able to hear any sound. I'm sure it's a settings issue of some sort, so I'll see if I can find something in the manual/online about how exactly to configure the programs. This technical stuff is not a talent of mine, sad to say. I'll get there.

• 2 weeks later...

it seem's that cubase 4 came out with few bugs, there is a new update that fixes many of them. vst 3 uses only the plugins that have audio running true them, it should save a few cpu cycles.

i use sx 3.1 and am very happy with it, and i can't live without some of my direct x plugins, i don't want to use a wrapper in cubase 4.

i'll stick with sx 3 for now.