Do you play live?

• 8 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's difficult in our genre, but it's feasable. Check out GadgetG's live sets, he's awesome! :)

If you go the hardware way, what you need to do is have a central hardware sequencer with lots of note sequences well organized, that you prepare carefully beforehand, and then you play your sequences one after the other in parallel for every track, sending the notes internally and to a few hardware synths. Good sequencers are the Yamaha RS-7000, the Roland MC-808 and MC-909 (and possibly the Elektron Octatrack and the Akai MPC-5000). Then you need a mixing desk, and a few desktop effects such as the Korg Kaossillator.

You can also mix live using a computer (and possibly hardware synths or VSTIs), in this case, you could use a DAW (e.g. use Cubase's arranger panel, or use Ableton Live's clips in the Scene view), and send the sequences to the hardware/software synths.

There are many challenges, you have to keep your notes within a specific scale, or the mix may sound awkward, the sound levels have to be well balanced also. As you play live, i.e. in real time, there's no way to mix like you would do in a studio narrowing down a specific instrument to leave room to another, fine-tuning, polishing, etc...So the quality is never going to be as good as a final studio mixdown, but the result can be quite interesting, though.

Not really. Currently doing lots of vinyl sets of old Warp & Ninja Tune vinyls. Getting actual paid gigs!!

I'm building a pretty simple live eurorack system for live performance of psychedelic techno. It'll be built around the Drumdokta 2 for percussion & Intellijel Metropolis + Atlantus. add some fx modules ' maybe a MakeNoise Maths & it'll be fun!!

I have done past tracks by recording live, I just can't seem to just sit down on a computer and do all the midi then record. I'm trying to fix that by at least recording the midi of my tracks and stuff like that since I have lost some past tracks and their information which sucks because I really wanted to work more on them. Plus recording the midi along with the audio will give me more flexibility to add some changes and editing which I can't always do while recording live. Here's a pic of my set-up. Very minimal but does the job well. What's not shown on here is the audio interface and some of the pedals I have.

9jnepao.jpg

Yea thanks. I feel like if I got a ableton push, novation launch pad, or you know those kind of stuff, then I would be a whole lot more interested in doing some midi on Ableton.

Oh my, that x0x .. :wub::wub: *heavy breathing*

Yea thanks. I feel like if I got a ableton push, novation launch pad, or you know those kind of stuff, then I would be a whole lot more interested in doing some midi on Ableton.

From the little I've toyed with the Push controller, it looks like it'll be a fun instrument to sketch ideas with. I didn't have enough time to do some proper jams with it yet, but it's very high on my to-do list.

It's automatically setup to work out of the box with Live plugins (obviously), so no configuration is needed if you stick with Live instruments -- but for 3rd party VSTs (which is my main use), you have to do quite a bit of setup in order to have correct mapping for MIDI controls, plugin browsing via Push, that kind of stuff. Once that is done, it's back to the "Plug n Play" aspect though, and setting up the basis of a track is done in a matter of seconds.

I really can't wait to clear myself some time so that I can get back to experimenting with it and can I have that x0x please?

Oh my, that x0x .. :wub::wub: *heavy breathing*

From the little I've toyed with the Push controller, it looks like it'll be a fun instrument to sketch ideas with. I didn't have enough time to do some proper jams with it yet, but it's very high on my to-do list.

It's automatically setup to work out of the box with Live plugins (obviously), so no configuration is needed if you stick with Live instruments -- but for 3rd party VSTs (which is my main use), you have to do quite a bit of setup in order to have correct mapping for MIDI controls, plugin browsing via Push, that kind of stuff. Once that is done, it's back to the "Plug n Play" aspect though, and setting up the basis of a track is done in a matter of seconds.

I really can't wait to clear myself some time so that I can get back to experimenting with it and can I have that x0x please?

Yea that's one reason I would like to have the push/launchpad, it would my life much easier for selecting midi stuff. I've finally been focusing on a track after a long break that I really like a lot and can't wait to finish whenever I do. While I'm not done with it yet, it sort of reminds me of some of Moonweed's stuff.

About that x0x....no, haha. It's my lovely baby, and ever since getting the Boss Super-Overdrive, I've been loving all the awesome distortions I get with. I've been experimenting more with the tone knob ever since since I've noticed some gnarly sounds when I put it on lower tones or when I program a pattern with higher notes then turn the tone to the lowest. Get's some really nice sounds.

But for now, my plan is to save up money for a mixer. Being able to apply effects to all my synths and drums right away instead of having to record each individual part (which I've tried to do but I just dislike having to multi-track) would make life infinitely better as my vst effects are much better than the ones on the korg.