hardware vs software

Now this is a question which might have come across every Artist's mind

I am a complete software producer, can software producers make money with music as hardware producers?

I am in learning phase, but still wanna know if I will be able to make money if I produce only through softwares

please gimme ur views and the scenario :)

thanks

yes. actually - most of the music today is made with software. VSTi's instead of synths that is. You still need good monitors,a sound card, a powerful pc and a comfortable chair. :)

Electromonk, most of the hardware synths nowadays (Virus, NordLead, Q line) are basically software based as well. It's a software that runs on a dedicated CPU and memory chips inside the synthesizers.

Also, the software you are using home has to pass through some hardware till it reaches your ears (PC,Sound Card, Amplifier, Monitors)

So basically your question is a bit more complicated than you thought.

Never underestimate the power of the analouge and outboard equipment.

:ph34r:

569921[/snapback]

I couldn't agree with this more... All of my studio is hardware - no use of softsynths. I don't know, for me - there is just something about sitting down and turning a knob or moving a slider that can't replace a mouse. That is not to say I have something against them, a tool is just a tool, I just never took the time to mess around with it.

I've used some FX plugins on Protools and they sounded awsome for audio processing, but still love my old hardware...

Cheers.

Guest Elysium

Some years ago I would have sworn on a holy grave that hardware was superior to Software synths (and i guess it was back then). But during these two years the development of software synths has exploded and frankly it is getting hard to hear the difference. Of course it also depend on the quality of the soundcard and the quality of the Monitors in the studio.

I use 100% software today and wont go back to expensive Hardware that take up a lot of space and use a lot of electricity.

All depends, I like playing live with the virus, because I have more control over my tweaking, and it is "live" If I record automations, thats not the same thing, imo. You can make really nice sounds with software, and I use 80% of it in all tracks, but when it comes to originality, the virus or any other synth I have owned beats any software.

It depends what you want to do, what you want your sound to be like, etc etc. Both have advantages and disadvantages :)

I couldn't agree with this more...  All of my studio is hardware - no use of softsynths. I don't know, for me - there is just something about sitting down and turning a knob or moving a slider that can't replace a mouse.  That is not to say I have something against them, a tool is just a tool, I just never took the time to mess around with it.

I've used some FX plugins on Protools and they sounded awsome for audio processing, but still love my old hardware...

Cheers.

570055[/snapback]

ahhhh, they have invented something called midi controllers!!!

i would rather get a novation remote sl than most hardware synths!!

( i said most)

hardware all the way.

not that i own any,but i have friends that do,and it beats sitting in front of a screen.

it can also be psychological,like using a big and professionally crafted ivory pipe to smoke. ;)