fxxxxxxxxxx

hi

i would like to know what do u use for making fx effects:- not the reverb, phaser, flanger, delay-but the psyched out effects that we usually hear in goa/psy trance tracks.

if someone can guide me on how to make them and the vsts?

hi

i would like to know what do u use for making fx effects:- not the reverb, phaser, flanger, delay-but the psyched out effects that we usually hear in goa/psy trance tracks.

if someone can guide me on how to make them and the vsts?

567446[/snapback]

what do you mean? Its mostly the above that gets applied to whatever sound you are using, and then you tweak it :)

First of all: Buy new music :)

Second of all: What you are talking about is the famous synths fx. Effects produced and modulated by synthesizers. There are various form of synthesizers: FM (Frequency modulation), Hybrid, Wavetable, Analog, Digital, Soft Analog etc…

Now you ask me…Ok Stalker, so… which one is the best one?

You are not getting so go sit on the corner!

There are no best types, they just functions differently from one to another. Basically what you need to know now, just to start is: You should get software synths…VSTi as famously known.

VST are programs that try to imitate the old synths keyboards world, in a time that people didn’t make electronic music thru PC

So get those VST and tell me which sequencer you are using

Then you go back here to see lesson number 2

:)

You got everything you need to get you start with it. Now, one thing you must comprehend is that there are no rules or step by step help in order to get crazy sounds out of a synth

What you need to understand is how, why, and for what you are tweaking those knobs

To aswer something like “ how do you do a psychedelic fx?

Is as impossible as it sounds, and anyone who attempts to with a drafted comment like “Use reverb or delay” lacks of instruction, sensibility or simply is irresponsible

What I recommend you to do is carefully explore the potential of each knob and its function

Posted Image

Take a look at these Vanguard pic. Notice how there is an Env section with two lines(1 and 2) of knobs more or less in the middle. Env stands for Envelope and the knobs come with in this order: a( attack), d( decay), s(sustain) and r( release). There is also the knobs level, resonance, pwnd and detune, but lets get on those ones later

Let’s try to focus on the attack, decay, sustain and release buttons. Those envelopes parameters affect how the sound volume and its properties will be. For example: the attack knob will define how long wills it take to the sound “kicks in” If you tweak the knob to the right the sound volume will slowly build in, The sustain indicates how long the fx will stay on its peak volume, the release will indicate how long will it take to fade away

So if you want a windy sound for atmospheres for example, you should have a long attack range, a nice set of sustain and then a long release range so it can actually sound like a wind. Understand?

If you want a fast ripping sound, you should do the opposite. Fast attack, and fast release parameters

Now, lets see what else the vanguard has to offer. Can you see those 3 OSC on the up right corner? One has pulse tl pwn, and the others two has sawtooth on it. So, Osc stands for oscillators. They are a major thing in sound design

I wont get all technician about it, but is the oscillators that defines the wave form, that is why is so important

To see what I’m talking about, choose a preset and then changes the last two osc options to see how the sound changes. Another thing you should understand is how a wave form “sounds”..Dont worry, most of the times the name says it all, like a pulse wave is a pulsating wave, doh. A sine wave is a wave that goes symmetrically up and down and so on…The filter, the AMP ( Amplifier), Delay and Reverb knobs are a subject to lesson 3, but it will be nice you tweak carefully to see how it affects the sound. The best advice is to do slowly, one by one

Now lets have a look at that Trancegate thang.

You can see a line of rectangles right above that small written “ Pattern” right?

Now select a famous vanguard preset called “Helicopter” or something like that. Then click removing or adding those little grey squares of the trance gate. Notice how this will “slice” the sound. This is the famous and widely used arpegiator function. A truly electronic mayhem

So, what you have to do now is try to understand those knobs, try to picture of what I said by choosing a sound and transforming it the way you desire, until you “get” them and starts using them with reason, cause that’s what you were asking in the first place!

Now go ahead and try a little bit, any doubts just ask….Then tell me what happened so you can go back to Lesson number 3

:)

Stalker, nice post dude :)

For the lazy ones: Get something like the Vengeance FX sample CD, this one contains a lot of cool FX, atmospheric, wooshes, lasers, all that kind of stuff in a high quality. But yeah, its much cooler to create these FX yourself.

Another funny tool, yet quite huge and expensive is X-Treme FX, which is like a FX synthie, easy to use and powerful. Still, it basically works with samples which means you cant learn how to actually synthesize your effects.

if you really want to do your FX yourself: Try albino, take one of the FX presets, and then hit randomize again and again, and then try to adjust all those parameters, that way you will probably learn it best :)

You can make some simple crazy effects even with a delay fx only. Create an event, put some notes in different octaves, maximize the tempo and use a long delay. This is how I made my firts crazy effect a while ago and it worked.

Just like the guys said: There are no rules! B)

thank you all, for all this wondergul info :)

Stalker-Thanks, I think now after you have told me about it, i will try making my own presets.I am using the ones in the library, as it will take some time for me to learn the knobs and will then my lesson numner 3 :D

Cybernetika-Thanks, well my problem is I am not lazy, I just have too little time to practice..lol, well I will try to search for a cd, if I can get it.

I am wondering if the samples, that come with "DANCE EJ" are any good, as that "DANCE EJ"CD is available over here.Is it worth to buy as i just wanna buy it for some edge cutting fx samples :)

Magistrate-thanks, i think, if i could fine nothing, i will make the fx myself :)

Please click on the link below:-

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=5800

and if someone can hear "oxygen poison"

In this song at 3:00 a rubbery synth comes in, i have heard this synth in lots and lots of songs and wanna create it too

Can someone lemme know how that synth is made :)

thanks

By the way, thats an awesome album you got there, from the samples :)

so you want to make the classic psy rubber sound? You are quite lucky I made this post in another forum some time ago :)

Here ya go:

now here is the first sound I got for you: the psy "rubber" sound, made in Albino 2.

example mp3:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...C8C1BD530C097C3

screenshot of the albino settings:

Posted Image

How to do it (In Albino2) :

First of all, choose two oscillators. Set the first one to "FM" and disable the "track" button on it. This will be the modulator for the second oscillator.

Choose digital waveforms and set all waveforms to "sawtooth". Transpose the first oscillator 3-5 octaves higher than the second one.

You can experiment with transposing one or two oscillators up and down, it will produce some very interesting results.

As a filter, use a bandpass with rather high resonance and cutoff between 1000 and 2000Hz, set the "track" value to maximum.

The trick is now to use an LFO to modulate the pitch of oscillator 2. Do the same with another LFO modulating the filter cutoff.

Sounds cool already, huh? Try using a phaser set to 100% "wet" and inverted feedback, it will sound really spacey that way. Set the "center" of the phaser to 3000-6000 and "feedback" and "stages" to a low value.

Add some long delay and reverb for extra spaciness ;)

Here is a rar file with the preset (for Linplug Albino2):

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...E7F4D9C03E5E9B8

Those links have expired, but the screenshot should give you

enough help I think! :)

If your sound is too thin in the overall mix, try using a highpass filter instead of a bandpass one.

here is what i posted some time ago, how to do with vanguard:

two osc, one osc detuned, two responding lfo, lfo two heavily detuned

(-74 or more), play with freq speed, it depends on your osc.

low attack, decay more then 500ms, sustain and release at 12 o clock,

then play with cutoff until you reach what you want.

main part is the 2nd lfo that is that is turning your 2nd osc into hellacopter

*edit* hmm then play with filters, perhaps select high 6db filter, full reso, play with cutoff and lower decay, that should work

i think vanguard is easier then albino and costs lower cpu, but both give a nice sound, so you can try

Vanguard is a lot easier than Albino yes. Plus its not so CPU intense and less bugged. But I like the sound quality of albino more, plus only Albino is capable of FM synthesis (which is used for like 90% of weird dark psy sounds). This gives you a lot more flexibilty with shaping the sound. If you learn how to do FM synthesis in Albino, theres a whole new world opening :P

Thanks Cybernetika and Reznik

I think I am on my way to make some nice crazy fx and synths now

I need to explore more of Albino and Vanguard and try to make my own presets.Tha would be the best wat to learn I suppose.And yeaaaaa, i can produce that rubber synth now :lol:

Boom Shankar!!!!!!!!! :)

I know, Johnny Depp paints cool consoles ...

... use ev'rethin', try and try, three days along. If u say "Hey mom, listen to" and she

seys "Oh my god!" - The job is done.

I will tell you a story about Flangers, Phasers, Distos and as the speed for this all Choirrr ... for the LSD on this Delay. A good mixture, makes hihats high, also.

for virtual instruments and crazy effects i would go ( and i do ) with dsp discovery which is a very good emulation of nord lead 2 ( u can even import presets from the hardware unit, there are a lot around) is very easy to get fat analog fx and leads with this baby. vanguard sounds too thin, an albino is very good but it sounds thin too. try this one u wont regret it. and if thats not crazy enough for u, then get glitch free vst, this little one is a beast and crazy as hell!!!!

ok thats just my opinionnn!!!

chheerrs mates im going for a beeer!!

for virtual instruments and crazy effects i would go ( and i do ) with dsp discovery which is a very good emulation of nord lead 2 ( u can even import presets from the hardware unit, there are a lot around)

572027[/snapback]

can i download them somewhere?

nordlead 2 patches / banks

on clavia homepage are only a few..