Modern Classics

No more stupid statements like that = no more radi bashing. It's that easy! :)

560233[/snapback]

I know what you're saying but, like a select few before him, radi came into this world before his time. I understand some of his statements sometimes come across as ridiculous and naive, but in time I'm confident he will be regarded as a genius, a saviour, and something future generations will aspire too.

The Lord moves in mysterious ways.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you're saying but, like a select few before him, radi came into this world before his time. I understand some of his statements sometimes come across as ridiculous and naive, but in time I'm confident he will be regarded as a genius, a saviour, and something future generations will aspire too.

The Lord moves in mysterious ways.

560881[/snapback]

Heaven forbid... :ph34r:

I'm pretty sure that Ott's albums as well as the first two Shpongles will go into history. Hell, they already are classics. How many people know this music? You don't even wanna know, they're very influential, no matter how you feel about them. Not many albums have that quality.

Matter of fact, I doubt that most of the albums mentioned before me, are actually classics. What defines a classic? It has to be something completely new, it's got to be groundbreakingly good or very influential.

Name some of the old albums that are classics nowadays and try to figure out why it is... You'll see, most of the before-named trance-albums aren't that special when you put it in perspective. It's not about what you like, it's about what will be remembered. And those two aren't always the same, you know...

560666[/snapback]

I think classic can be personal taste. I'm under no delusions in thinking that the albums I mentioned will be popular and talked about in years to come. Hell they aren't that popular now. But I'm pretty sure that I'll be listening to them in years to come. If that オ フォオ フクス セイク クラプ パソコン ダッン ニホンゴ

Edit: damn computer, if I press caps lock it locks my keyboard onto katakana & I can't get it off unless I restart the damn thing.

As I was saying If that's the case they will be classic for me!!

^ok, agreed that its all matter of subjectivity.

But on the other side: you can't deny that certain albums (in general) can be labeled 'classic', objectively, in the sense that they had a certain impact then and are still remembered for that same reason. Somehow I'm thinking of the Beatles' Sergeant Pepper, Nirvana's Nevermind, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, just to name a few that everybody knows.

In the psy-genre (I'm very much not into goa, so I can't really say anything about that) there are a few examples... Hallucinogen's Twisted, Kox Box's Dragon Tales, Infected Mushroom's Classical Mushroom etc... Hehehe :) I know I just named some pretty goa-ish albums, but I think I made my point. People certainly named a few good albums, but all in all, I think that very few of those will survive the cruel hands of time... IMO!

People certainly named a few good albums, but all in all, I think that very few of those will survive the cruel hands of time... IMO!

561205[/snapback]

Agreed. It's a sad fact, but very little electronic music stands the test of time.

Agreed. It's a sad fact, but very little electronic music stands the test of time.

562407[/snapback]

I find that songs don't stand the test of time as I get quickly bored by lyrics in music. Especially lyrics I can understand. That's why sample heavy music loses it's appeal very quickly for me.

For me ONLY electronic music stands the test of time & continuous listens, but that's just me. I love electronic music.

I find that songs don't stand the test of time as I get quickly bored by lyrics in music. Especially lyrics I can understand. That's why sample heavy music loses it's appeal very quickly for me.

For me ONLY electronic music stands the test of time & continuous listens, but that's just me. I love electronic music.

562429[/snapback]

I'm with ya on that one. Unless the samples are somehow interesting, which is rare. Was listening to Scizoeffective last night and the sample usage is very original and creative. Pop, for example. And that's part of why that album will always be a classic, but mostly because the music is so good in itself that it backs up any potentially superfluous sampling.

So many other artists - an annoyingly large amount - use samples as a crutch for otherwise mediocre music. And the fact that they're almost always from Hollywood movies gets on my nerves to no end.

And if you find the forest sound not psychedelic you should listen again  :P

560230[/snapback]

heheh :);)

Personally I agree

And who are you to say whats psychedelic or not?

Keep this opinion for yourself as the word psychedelic describes something too personal to be judged.

559718[/snapback]

I agree psychedelic is very subjective/personal.. As agia_igoumeni said and I fully agree psychedelia is a state of mind.. for a lot of people Pink Floyd, Jimmy Hendrix or beatles etc are psychedelic music.. Others consider ambient/IDM very trippy and/or psychedelic as well. A few years ago I was listening to nitzonot music,that was what was labeled as 'psychedelic' in greece.. But I didn't feel almost any psychedelia with 90% of the tracks there.. Just hard/fast dance music for kids on Es IMO.Cheap-sounding rave music for the most of it, except of a few tracks that maybe resembled goa a bit more and were not that cheezy and cheap.

At that time I listened to some prana and juno reactor, and laters a friend gave me various cd with Astral Projection, MFG , California Sunshine, etc and I moved on..

As I've discovered several more electronica music genres, I personally think that a lot of ambient/chill/IDM albums can be at least equally, or even more psychedelic and trippy [ In my opinion of course, needless to say].

So yes, if what's labeled as 'forest psy' is psychedelic to A LOT of people[and NOT only newcommers or newbies, but people with many years in the scene that have lived old-school psychedelic parties/festivals etc so they do have some experience] can feel psychedelia with that music it's definitely psychedelic. I know it is for me.

;)

Now , when will we listen to a Kasol & Derango live acts in a trippy swedish forest and then get lost deep in the heart of the forest?

:D

Bollocks

562427[/snapback]

You think many of the the electronic tunes of today (and from the 90's) will sound good in 30 years time in the same way classic tunes from the 60's and 70's still sound incredible today? I believe very, very few will. On a personal level, most of the goa I enjoyed during the 90's sound pretty crappy today. Some tunes have stood up over the years, but it's a tiny percentage.

You think many of the the electronic tunes of today (and from the 90's) will sound good in 30 years time in the same way classic tunes from the 60's and 70's still sound incredible today? I believe very, very few will. On a personal level, most of the goa I enjoyed during the 90's sound pretty crappy today. Some tunes have stood up over the years, but it's a tiny percentage.

562490[/snapback]

When it comes to ambient even music from the 80s/90s still sounds incredible today. Of course i wasn't listening to this music since the 80s. Anyways, time will tell.

562490[/snapback]

Blade Runner, Dark Side of the Moon and Early Bowie material sound great today too.

Or are we restricting ourselves to only Instrumental Electronic music?

562490[/snapback]

I agree when speaking of psy/goa, but there's a ton of electronic stuff that will indeed survive 30 years. Hell, we're already listening to 30-year-old electronic music today. Eno, Vangelis, Jarre, Tomita, Wendy Carlos, Stockhausen, etc.

But I highly doubt much psy/goa will survive. It's not really built for that. It's more dance music than art.

Blade Runner, Dark Side of the Moon and Early Bowie material sound great today too.

Or are we restricting ourselves to only Instrumental Electronic music?

562514[/snapback]

I mean purely electronic tunes. Those you listed, which are fine albums, all use traditional string, piano, brass etc. as well as electronic sounds.

Guest Rezwalker

So yes, if what's labeled as 'forest psy' is psychedelic to A LOT of people[and NOT only newcommers or newbies, but people with many years in the scene that have lived old-school psychedelic parties/festivals etc so they do have some experience] can feel psychedelia with that music it's definitely psychedelic. I know it is for me.

562459[/snapback]

"...To capture moments of Joy and sculpture them into a new Reality, Trance is a State of Mind and a coincidence of Nature, Making Trance today is like tasting several dishes without feeling satisfied, only sampling it all...There is another world beyond this planet..."

--->Har-el prussky (California sunshine-Adrenalin drum)

"...To capture moments of Joy and sculpture them into a new Reality, Trance is a State of Mind and a coincidence of Nature, Making Trance today is like tasting several dishes without feeling satisfied, only sampling it all...There is another world beyond this planet..."

--->Har-el prussky (California sunshine-Adrenalin drum)

562576[/snapback]

Horrible sample. Don't know the song, but don't like the sample: way too obvious. Too easy. (but this is offtopic... ok, ima open a new thread on this one)

But yes, not much psy trance will survive time. That's why I named Shpongle and Ott. Hell, Shpongle's a classic already. I think maybe Hallucinogen and IM will survive, cause they've been such renewing pioneers.

Others might've made great and original albums for sure, but I doubt that's the quality that will make albums a classic.

• 1 month later...

There aren´t any albums in the last 3 years that will become classic

559278[/snapback]

You are right :) Fucking last 3 years :angry: but i loved Electric Universe : Cosmic Experience and The Misted Muppet : From the legend and Psydrop : Fantasy seeds