Old Psy or Modern Psy...

Charlie

Yeah, when i said "new" chillout i didn't really mean the last couple years.  The last couple years have been shit overall for both psy-trance and "psy-chill".  I find it hard to differentiate between "psychill" and other types of chill anyway.  It's all pretty psychadelic to me :) 

I'm getting more and more into ambient stuff too lately.  The new Biosphere is just incredible.

531192[/snapback]

Bollocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry but the chill out that'S been released on psy labels has been fucking awesome in the last few years.

:angry:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would prefer that modern psy evolved into something better than it is... that a new wave of truly psychedelic, but not straight-forward noisy or pounding style of psy would come around... digital and sci-fi'ish yes....

But as of now, I not only prefer Old Psy, but barely listen to new psy at all.

I've started to dig progressive (or psygressive as some call it) psy a bit, but I wouldn't call it psychedelic at all :P Its a totally different trance style IMO.

I haven't heard much brilliance recently. When I comment about it some people tell me "this is what's produced these days, get used to it". I find that extremely pathetic.

Why on earth should I ever compromise and delude myself thinking some shait is actually worth listening?

But instead of whining I'm doing my effort to promote old school sound. :) More action, less talking.

And fortunately there's loads of old stuff I still haven't heard! =]

That's a nice attitude you have there, Oopie. Unfortunately I sometimes find it difficult to supress the moaner in me...

and you're right, there's plenty of oldshool goa out there waiting for us to discover.

I enjoy both actually. I listened to Psy in late 90s, then stopped as I had gotten bored with it for a while.

Five years later, I am back and have so much excellent stuff to listen to now. Anything 2000+ is considered new to me. I actually don't even think about the years when I am listening. The best thing is, I don't have to decide which is best. Thanks to the net, I can find the best of the old and the best of the new.

Sure, Psy now has splintered into many other genres than in the 90s, but I can find artists I enjoy in each genre, or in each decade. Good music is good music, whether it's labeled Psytrance, Psygressive, Full-on, or Polka, or from one decade or another.

Bollocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry but the chill out that'S been released on psy labels has been fucking awesome in the last few years.

:angry:

531233[/snapback]

lol man, calm down. Don't get me wrong there have been some good chill releases, but it just seems like there's a lot more crap to sift through. Bluetechs elementary particles was honestly one of the best chill albums ive heard, and capsula's latest album was quite good. Other than that though, theres hasnt been much good chill IMO. The new shulman was good, but half the cd is remixes. Maybe i just missed some good stuff on compilations, i havent heard very many comps lately.

I suppose if i compared it to other genres of music, psy is doing quite well, most types of music it's 99.9% bad, at least with psy it's like 90%. :)

yes, charlie listens to it, also some country fits him, dont know about faze tho

531634[/snapback]

:D

I knew mentioning on psynews I listen to alternative country would come back to haunt me.

:D

anyway, i find oldschool better, thats it.

532161[/snapback]

Someone told me you have a seat to watch the Eurovision live tonight. How much did you pay for that?

I haven't heard much brilliance recently. When I comment about it some people tell me "this is what's produced these days, get used to it". I find that extremely pathetic.

Why on earth should I ever compromise and delude myself thinking some shait is actually worth listening?

But instead of whining I'm doing my effort to promote old school sound. :) More action, less talking.

And fortunately there's loads of old stuff I still haven't heard! =]

531490[/snapback]

That is a pathetic argument those people give you. Fair enough, if someone really prefers modern Psy, that's all about taste but to settle for less then tell you, you should too....

lol man, calm down.  Don't get me wrong there have been some good chill releases, but it just seems like there's a lot more crap to sift through.  Bluetechs elementary particles was honestly one of the best chill albums ive heard, and capsula's latest album was quite good.  Other than that though, theres hasnt been much good chill IMO.  The new shulman was good, but half the cd is remixes.  Maybe i just missed some good stuff on compilations, i havent heard very many comps lately.

I suppose if i compared it to other genres of music, psy is doing quite well, most types of music it's 99.9% bad, at least with psy it's like 90%.  :)

531787[/snapback]

Don't even remember writing that. Sure I didn't mean to sound as angry as I came across. Sorry :D

With the advent of the internet and these ease of music making these days (that's making any old music not the ease of making good stuff) all genres of music have become mostly crap and you really have to sift through that crap. There is however just as much good new psy as there was oldschool but back then we didn't have sift through nearly as much crap to find it as we do today. :ph34r:

Actually i prefer the period when goa trance just passed it's climax and psytrance was still a little experimental. 1998 to 2003 has the best releases imo.

goa trance before 98 often had bad production skills, good songs but low quality.

The albums released around 99 had better production and artists tried different roads to find something to replace the shiva-shanti stuff.

Cydonia - in fear of a red planet

Xenomorph - cassandra's nightmare

Parasense- avangard

kindzadza - waves from outer space

scatterbrain

menog

A few examples of what dark psy used to be, and i was a big fan of course. music you don't hear at parties anymore, cause it's not old skool and not new skool, it's the twilight zone that just....dissappeared :(

around 2004 i lost interest cause every dark psy track feels like a copy of the last song you played. It's probably just me getting older becoming a cranky spoiled musicjunkie so i voted old. As long as there are friendly people at the party i'm satisfied, music doesn't matter any more.

Actually i prefer the period when goa trance just passed it's climax and psytrance was still a little experimental.  1998 to 2003 has the best releases imo.

goa trance before 98 often had bad production skills, good songs but low quality.

The albums released around 99 had better production and artists tried different roads to find something to replace the shiva-shanti stuff.

532460[/snapback]

I somehow agree with you, I love 1998 and 1999 cause of numerous amazing releases :

CHI-A.D. - ANNO DOMINI

DARSHAN - AWAKENING

OFORIA - DELIRIOUS

BOTFB - TWIN SHARKFINS

XENOMORPH - CASSSANDRA'S NIGHTMARE

CYDONIA - IN FEAR OF RED PLANET

PSYCHAOS - CAUSE AND EFFECT

COP - URBAN ALIEN

SANDMAN - WITCHKRAFT

X-DREAM - RADIO

and many other brilliant albums, and yes, they did progress the style and made it more rough...

I love 1997-1999 most.

The Lone Deranger, Darshan - Awakening, UX - Ultimate Experience, Chi-AD - Anno Domini... just to name my favourites. But there is ofc more (Xenomorph, Pleiadians, Cydonia etc etc)

1996-1999 is my favourite period. It was a time when artists were brimming with ideas and individuality, a time when psy trance (or goa trance) was at it's most psychedelic. These days more emphasis seems to be placed on sound quality and engineering rather than complexity and multi-layered structuring.