03 - Polyphonia - Ano Kato [150]

04 - Baba Jelly - Zoe La Folesse [152]

05 - Olien - Calamari [148]

06 - Metallaxis - Conclusion [150]

07 - Vicious Alchemy - End or Fin [154]

08 - Procs - Big Fat Large Snoring Lamas [150]

09 - Psyfactor - Vodka Madness [150]

What's This About?

It was recently discovered the story of David and Goliath, unfolds a little differently from the present day preconceptions of a thundering warrior versus a young boy. In the last couple of years, historians and anthropologists from renowned universities around the globe have arrived to the conclusion Goliath of Gath was actually a motorized beast, closely resembling the model of Optimus Prime (stemming the whole Transformers series). From the mythological legend, ‘Mechanophobia’ has taken a foothold in academic circles that seek to digress it was not a metaphorical term of technological fear, but a very real terror of being obliterated by a huge robot. Bible scholars are correcting the holly book as we speak. In the meantime Trishula has released the latest sampler of producers, ready to show their own personal side of this mechanic affliction.

Per-Track

1 – Mubali & Xyla – Mechanophobia *

Xyla a from the San Francisco Bay area got together with Mubali a while back to spawn the title piece for the compilation. Rumor has it this track has been has stashed away, waiting for the right time to surface. Inside, the fetishist tendencies dark trance have been displaying lately with the machinization of music bent on industrial influences, reach an apotheosis suiting to complement the sound score for Shinya Tsukamoto’s film Tetsuo – the Iron Man. Delving in the mechanical drones and inorganic sputters, we rekindle with the very core of industrial on a much more suiting environment. Think manic compositional arrangements, with new production tools and techniques departing from the 90’s style. Hypermetric beats, metal clanking - it’s a wretched mess.

2- Mind Distortion System – Japan Connection *

DJ Nel-Sun better known as Jara de Los Santos, has been organizing free parties with the Mystical Druids Society since 2002 all throughout Portugal, France and Belgium where he’s settled these days. The Japan connection comes with a steady doze of pounding and unexpected funky pads, mixed with cheerful whistling breaks. The combo of light atmospheres with energetic flows works great for my ears.

3- Polyphonia – Ano Kato *

Romolo Cheri has been making distorted electric noises, starting with his guitar since he was 11. A bunch of years later, ‘Ano Kato’ which translates roughly to helter skelter in Greek (thanks Leny), is nothing short of a mechanophobic upheaval of uncompromising metallic harsh noises, scrapping the very surface of sanity… pushing it to the side. You either love it or hate it, there’s no middle ground with this one. And it fits the theme of this compilation like ring in finger.

4- Baba Jelly – Zoe La Folesse *

“Be wise, be safe… be aware” shows another jumble of madness with different beats from the Jellyheadz affair, which is of course very refreshing. Inside chopped and spliced orchestral movie samples blend with unfolding alien lines, comprehensible only by synesthesia. You are not really meant to whistle them, but to simply observe them. How? “[with]… the universal union that small minds called the combine can carry us there.” I don’t know you, but I love the samples this guy manages to dig.

5- Olien – Calamari

Olien is a new German act spilling out night time madness to chill out beats. Like you can imagine this is the hectic side of the coin. For his first release the production is decent, even if a crisper definition would have helped the overall product. I have tried on numerous occasions to connect with the material, but it’s not gripping me at this point. Perhaps it is the track order. If so far the Mechanophobia is looking tasty to your ears, this one might be useful. The feel is definitely ‘forest’ here.

6- Metallaxis – Conclusion *

Composed of Romolo from Polyphonia and Kulu from… Greece. Personally this duo has been redefining the meaning of abnormal with hard core and metal influences, entwined together deep within its roots. Far from concluding things, the sixth chapter is a take-no-prisoners affair, making more sense than an ancient Sumerian scroll to a blind person. In retrospect, it would be interesting to see a split album between these two freaks. As I’m sure the idea has been thought of before, the only delay might be letting the final material refine a bit more

7- Vicious Alchemy – End or Fin

Baba Jelly plays well with others and this newest project is yet another collaboration, with Virginie Scheerens AKA Chrysalid. Virginie a label DJ for Trishula coming from France and currently residing in Britain, spins manic dark sets combined with her own vocals. She has been a vocalist since her teens studying jazz fusions. Unfortunately we don’t get a glimpse of her voice here, which might be what the dark psy world needs: a twisted version of Sonique at 150 BPM’s. Then again, it might not… what do I know? The cacophony in End or Fin (talk about an oxymoron) is appropriately disturbing but we get no high’s or lows here, it just sits like mesa while the progression remains minimal. Spinning this bad boy in conjunction with other material make the piece more accessible for grass floors.

8- Procs – Big Fat Snoring Lamas *

The big fat snoring lamas (what great name), runs in the same vein as his debut album released last year. For all effective purposes we are still stuck in the oven with Mikke. The detuned, smirking lines and effects drizzle, offering a healthy doze of Procs’ take on mushroomed trance. The advantage is his reliance on musical themes, however perverted they might sound. The downside is not hearing something completely different from his sonic repertoire. If you liked the album this one is keeper.

9- Psyfactor – Vodka Madness *

Dmitri Korablin has dared to change beat patterns a bit with his infamous triple kick, still focusing on ambivalent themes that swelter with sweet moments, and obscure Russian gothika like it could be expected. The riffy synth’s work well and the whole wobbly contraption of effects carries the track forward. I’m not in love with it, but it is definitely usable material.

All in all

Biomechanical fusions in every media have been abundant for years: counting H.R Giger’s infamous paintings, Shinya Tsukamot's film Tetsu The iron man , Mamoru Oshii’s anime adaptation of Kôkaku kidôtai (Ghost in the Shell). Far back in the past we might find Throbbing Gristle and the birth of industrial music, not forgetting William Gibson’s contribution to the literally world with Neuromancer. This perversely attractive fascination for mechanical-organic beings coexisting in a single artistic expression, wears a new mask in ‘dark’ psychedelic trance and Mechanophobia is simply an extension of this movement. We could be mimicking an ever more palpable misanthropist society… or simply revisiting the ‘chicken-or-the-egg’ question, daring to wonder if we are simply shaping our own reality instead.

Where to Get

Saiko Sounds >

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=5606

Psyshop >

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/trr/trr1cd008.html

Juno >

http://www.juno.co.uk/products/214423-01.h...t=mechanophobia

Beatspace >

http://www.beatspace.com/dettagli/dettaglio.asp?id=2739

really happy to hear you liked my track. This is a more recent track than the album that you are talking about. The album was some sort of compilation from my work of the last 5 years, and the new track big fat large snoring lamas reflects more the kind of work that I am into right now.

thanks mouka for making this compilation!!

Just bought it and listened to it once.

Nice hard, dark Psy. Damn, Procs track is amazing!!! Definately better than the album tracks. AWESOME!!! :blink:

Polyphonia and Metallaxis did it again (Conclusion is the first track of this style with Greek samples).

More comments are coming soon.

Just got this in the mail yesterday and after listening to it a few time's i hav to say this comp kicks some MAJOR ASS!! the Baba jelly track is AWESOME!! and the Vicious Alchemy,Mind Distortion System and Procs tracks are fucking AMAZING!. The rest of the tracks are killer 2, this is the best Trishula comp so far imo, cant wait to hear the next 1 B)

Guest The Journey Man Project

This would be the best night time compilation I have to date... it is uncompromising true psychedelic music... tracks 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8 and 9 are just amazing!! The rest are damn awesome as well, but those ones just sooo take my mind away!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Journey Man Project

loooooove the Psyfactor track... a billion times beter than his album...

• 2 weeks later...

loooooove the Psyfactor track... a billion times beter than his album...

522999[/snapback]

those are my thoughts :)

A good Darkpsy compilation, I like the concept. Faves are tracks 1,3,8(!),9(!!).

I'd rate it 8/10.