Promos

RTP

What's your attitude towards promos?

I mean, do you collect them or not, do you find them more "31337" than the actual release? Would you pay more for a promo than for a normal CD? Would you pay less? Would you buy promos at all?

Because with promos I already registered that there obviously exist two basic opinions: one is that they are worth a shitload of money (obviously because of the fact you can't buy them in stores and they're limited to a small number) - and the other one is that they're worth nothing (obviously because they're free promo copies and it's illegal to make money by selling them).

I personally am not a promo hunter, although I appreciate it when I can get them for cheap. I don't care if I have a promo or the actual release apart from the fact that a promo has no booklet, but that's not relevant in the psy scene. I would never pay more for a promo than for the normal CD.

Well, for old stuff I do what I can to track down interesting promos on CDs... But the thing with CDs is that nowadays, they are usually just CD-Rs... Not many labels take the effort to actually make properly pressed promo-CDs anymore... And CD-Rs really have little value to me... When I receive CD-R promos, I usually just give them to one of my friends when I later get the retail version...

I imagine it's all together very different within the vinyl segment - with white labels promos and stuff... I wouldn't know, as I'm CD only...

/DP

Not many labels take the effort to actually make properly pressed promo-CDs anymore...

485597[/snapback]

To be honest I'm not really surprised. If an artist is doing the promo for a record label, he has to pay for it off his own back - and there isn't really any money in promos in our scene as it is so small. Labels have trouble breaking even as it is.

I like promo's if I get them. Otherwise they're worthless.

But whats this about CDRs? This first promo I got is the real thing. The actual retail. :)

Well, for old stuff I do what I can to track down interesting promos on CDs... But the thing with CDs is that nowadays, they are usually just CD-Rs... Not many labels take the effort to actually make properly pressed promo-CDs anymore... And CD-Rs really have little value to me... When I receive CD-R promos, I usually just give them to one of my friends when I later get the retail version...

485597[/snapback]

Yes, that's true ... if a promo would just be a CDR I'd also not give anything for it ... I'm only focusing on the CDs in cardboard sleeves without booklet, the CD itself looking like the original but just without the jewel case and on the cardboard just the cover and tracklist printed. That's what I mean as "Promo", the CDRs are crap. But I'd probably still go for them if somebody gave them to me (or if it's good stuff scheduled for release in some months)...

And Cinos, your case that you get an ordinary retail version as promo is also common - in that case the label just tells the pressing company to press 100 or so more copies of the normal CD with booklet and such, that lets the price per item probably decrease even more and thus everybody's happy...

i guess promo CDs value less than the retail CDs, cause i care about the cover work as well. the product includes the package, the package stands for "image".

btw, i've got a promo of Voice Of Cod - We Are Free, it's a CD-R + cover. i've bought the CD recently, so i'm thinking of giving the promo cd to someone who might love to have it.

i'd preffer someone who likes Voice Of Cod, and who may not afford to buy a lot of music..

i guess promo CDs value less than the retail CDs, cause i care about the cover work as well. the product includes the package, the package stands for "image".

485610[/snapback]

Most cardboard sleeve promos have a cover print on them if the labels can afford ... on the front they have the same cover as the retail CD, on the back they have the tracklist (usually also the same backprint as the retail CD) and the "for promotional use only"-print.

The promo discs of the big labels nowadays have even samples in them that say "this is a promo" or something ... I have a Gravedigger - The Last Supper promo where this is the case - in the beginning of a song and sometimes in the middle somebody's reminding me that it's a promo ... that is some annoying crap <_<

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

btw, i've got a promo of Voice Of Cod - We Are Free, it's a CD-R + cover. i've bought the CD recently, so i'm thinking of giving the promo cd to someone who might love to have it.

i'd preffer someone who likes Voice Of Cod, and who may not afford to buy a lot of music..

485610[/snapback]

Indeed there can be an extra value for promo cds, some people (hardcore collector) are generally interested in having promo versions when these are different from retail cds coz it's obvious when special promos are pressed, the'y're in very small quantities. And each thing which is rare obtain more value.

About cdrs promos & labels, actually there's 3 categories:

-those who always & only send crappy cdrs with written on it (ironically) 'not for copy', those labels know who they are.

-those who from time to time send retail stuffs can they can afford it financially (coz it weights more with the pastic box) & other times send cdrs.

-those who always send originals or special cd promo print in a thin transparent plastic case.