Dark Progressive Gothic Mystical Track

Stalker

Nice work, Stalker! You must feel tense sharing your stuff here, but I think you deserve a hand for your track. It definitely succeeds in creating a the effect of an ancient temple. I have some comments:

1. I really like your slow and patient intro. I love how the bassline begins, how it kinda sneaks in (these kind of surprises are crucial to good music). That said, I think it does your track a disservice to do practically the same thing half way into it after the break. Takes away from the novelty of it.

2. I feel your major percussive elements are a little too "dry". You create such a dark, humid atmosphere with your other sounds, so a bit more atmosphere in the rhythmic elements I think would work nicely. Especially since you don't seem to be trying to kill the dancefloor, in which case a crisper rhythm would be called for.

3. The second half I feel could use some more elements. The slow descending structure is very cool, and you pull it off, but I would expect some new element, either melodic and/or percussive to be added with every descending note, and then cut them out like you do toward the end.

4. Also the descending notes come in like a second too late. Match them up with the first beat of the new measure for what I feel would be a tighter, stronger effect.

5. Other than that, nicely done, man, and thanks for sharing. I like this track much better than the last one, which wasn't bad, just wasn't cohesive in my opinion.

:D

Dude, your track impressed me a lot!

Great atmosphere thoughout the whole story. The percussion is just awesome - very industrial, lots of details that make it interesting.

I agree that there is not so much interchange in the second half, but I'd leave the tune how it is. Right now it has not much ups and downs, but a very contant flow at a high quality level. I think it works like you intended it :)

Keep it up!

Thanks Otto and Cybernetika :)

That was some great coments

Otto, i noticed that late half-second on the descending pad notes. Its a minor detail, but i think it would make a whole diference in the end. I think it would give a track a more tense atmosphere

About the percussion being too dry i will have to test it on them. It was part of my idea to give an impact betwen the "wet" and the "dry"

I tried to give all the others atmosphere that wet and organic effect, and the percussion i put it dry so it could "carry on" the track. I will thou test a little enchacments and see how it works out :)

and Cybernetika, it was indeed part of my idea to keep a constant felling after the second half. The variations happens but they are all very subtle. No orther lead melody or extra atmospheres.

Btw, all those voice samples and breathing effect are mine.If that makes anything more interisting

I recorded, put some effects and voila :rolleyes:

Nice work, Stalker! You must feel tense sharing your stuff here, but I think you deserve a hand for your track.

440713[/snapback]

Btw

Why is it tense for me to share my music here? :rolleyes:

Is it because i always say i am getting tired of the old school and the acid 303 melodies? wich obviously goes against the majority here.... :P

Or is it by some other reason? :unsure:

it worked..

man the track is awesome.. really.

im all for these darkish atmospheres.. very mystical and gothic indeed ; )

i cant find any weak points.. yes maybe you could scrap or shorten the long break mid-ways (although i love it when the track re-starts) and maybe make the track a bit more varied.

but it really works the way it is now and i would only praise this track if i heard it on some compilation..

love the style... amygdala's track was darkish too, but yours is also more industrial-influenced.

keep em coming :)

it worked..

man the track is awesome..  really.

im all for these darkish atmospheres..  very mystical and gothic indeed  ; )

i cant find any weak points.. yes maybe you could scrap or shorten the long break mid-ways (although i love it when the track re-starts) and maybe make the track a bit more varied.

but it really works the way it is now and i would only praise this track if i heard it on some compilation..

love the style...  amygdala's track was darkish too, but yours is also more industrial-influenced.

keep em coming :)

442138[/snapback]

Thanks Unikos

I am glad you liked :)

Well, I'm impressed.

Very interesting and entrancing piece.

I like the detailness and atmosphere very much, as well as the constant flow and subtle percussion and fx transformations. The song evokes undead crypts or a lost necropolis :) Very good intro and ending sequence.

Only thing i dislike is the strange sample you used for bassline. It sort of growls too much or what and the melody of it gets kinda lost in the vibration :D I don't know ho to describe it. Just too spurious or noisy or annoying or whatever.

Otherwise, well done ;)

Well, I'm impressed.

Very interesting and entrancing piece.

I like the detailness and atmosphere very much, as well as the constant flow and subtle percussion and fx transformations. The song evokes undead crypts or a lost necropolis :) Very good intro and ending sequence.

Only thing i dislike is the strange sample you used for bassline. It sort of growls too much or what and the melody of it gets kinda lost in the vibration :D I don't know ho to describe it. Just too spurious or noisy or annoying or whatever.

Otherwise, well done ;)

442227[/snapback]

Thanks Mind breeder

About the bass, oh well thats a complicated thing

I know that the bass is "massive", was part of the idea, but off course, maybe there is indeed a a volume problem there, for ex just to turn down the volume a little bit and its "ready"

Also, the bass response varies from headphones to speakers etc

I cut down everything belown 70hz, so sometimes this makes for a ex a bass sounds too loud or strong on a headphone, anbd sounds "normal" on speakers or monitors

Anyways, i was much more guided to numbers and rules then my ears itself

as i said befor, i dont have monitoration right now, so i am hearing and making this stuff on those computer spekars with no bass response at all

So maybe its too loud indeed, but i tell ya i cant hear it yet! :P

Hi stalker.

I've read other people's review and I'm starting to think that something is wrong with me, because I hear some major problem in your production, the same problems as in your previous track Machine actually.

If you're interested, I can show what I mean with some exemple. :)

Hi stalker.

I've read other people's review and I'm starting to think that something is wrong with me, because I hear some major problem in your production, the same problems as in your previous track Machine actually.

If you're interested, I can show what I mean with some exemple. :)

442416[/snapback]

Please Mckoy, tell me whats so wrong :(

I would like to hear those examples

It sounded like a 64kbps Mp3 recorded in mono.

I could barely hear the reverb and I found all the low frequencies(mostly the bass) a bit irritating and monotonous.

That's what I said about your track Machine, and even if Lost temple sounds better, I think what I said still apply to this track.

I've tried to reproduce some parts of your track to give you a concrete exemple of what I'm saying

sample1 is how it should sound (don't take me wrong here, I am not saying that this crappy sample is better than your track, I'm just talking about the thecnical part :) )

sample2 is how it actually sound. Here I've removed the reverb, I've boosted the low frequencies of the bass and lowered the mid frequencies. Also all the sounds are in "mono".

So do you see the differencies? This is particularly noticeable if you listen to it with headphones.

I see

And you are right, in Machine i used almost every sound in mono

but there is nothing wrong in using the bass and kick in mono right? I once heard on that this is not recomendent unless you are very sure of what you doing

So, on this track only the bass, kick and some other percussive sounds are in mono

but i cut the low frequencies and busted the mid and even some low high frequencies, and i also used a sub-bass where it only have low frequencies

So what do you recomend me to do? Boost more the mid frequencies of the bass and the sub-bass? Did you put reverb on the bass in that sample you showed as how it should be?

please mckoy, help me out of this! :P

Btw, those samples arent crappy, they are great! B)

So, i tried out what you Mckoy said to me about the low and mid frequencies

I also boost up the high frequencies

I actually thought that now, the bass sounds better indeed, the only problem now is the snare. I think that maybe, is too harsh and dirty, i dont know

I think i am going crazy

Maybe i boost too much and all the snare flaws showed up

Anyways

Here is the link

The short sample is the one called "Teste"

http://www.soundlift.com/band/music.php?id=105669

You guys could see if you think that this version is better :unsure:

Please aswer, i have to delete this track sample out of that page soon :(

443264[/snapback]

I had a listen to your track, it is well made indeed, dark but a bit too industrial for me (it is a matter of taste). The bassline is really impressive, but too loud in my opinion. Otherwise, good work, nice atmosphere, and it reminds me the kind of tracks my brother used to make (and it is a compliment :))

I had a listen to your track, it is well made indeed, dark but a bit too industrial for me (it is a matter of taste). The bassline is really impressive, but too loud in my opinion. Otherwise, good work, nice atmosphere, and it reminds me the kind of tracks my brother used to make (and it is a compliment :))

443321[/snapback]

Thanks ManuserPosted Image

Hi again Stalker.

I've just listened your 2nd sampe "teste" and it indeed sounds much better. But it's just my opinion and others may disagree.

Also you should know that I'm just an amateur, so don't take my advices too seriously.

The only recommendation I could give is get yourself some headphones if you aren't able to afford some expensive monitor right now.

I bought a Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro for 130€ just a few months ago, and I can tell you I've made much more progress in the last 5 month than I expected.

:)

Hi again Stalker.

I've just listened your 2nd sampe "teste" and it indeed sounds much better. But it's just my opinion and others may disagree.

Also you should know that I'm just an amateur, so don't take my advices too seriously.

The only recommendation I could give is get yourself some headphones if you aren't able to afford some expensive monitor right now.

I bought a Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro for 130€ just a few months ago, and I can tell you I've made much more progress in the last 5 month than I expected.

:)

444559[/snapback]

I end up leaving the frits track on the site, buutttt..... i do have an unrlsd kilarrgh version where its like the 'Teste' version, but a litlle diferent. :P

What i did is to keep the bass more or less, the way i did on the second time and not go so wild on the the high freq and mid freq boosting

I kind of felt it was way too much, it was needing but not the way i did

So its cleaner, but still kept the 'big room' atmosphere :)