How are they live?

Basilisk

I live somewhere where I don't get the chance to see too many psytrance acts play live... we get about 10 to 20 names through here each year, but it's still not that much. What I'm interested in hearing is qualified opinions about how good an act is live... by that I suppose all I'm asking is that you have a good ear and weren't high as fuck when the group did their show :) I don't know about anyone else, but seeing as how I usually know the source material very well, I have a good ear for telling whether it's a real show with a live element or just a canned performance.

For my own experience, Juno Reactor still ranks #1 and probably won't ever be topped. Midi Miliz and FREq also put on great live shows out here. As for the list of disappointing live shows I've seen, well, there's no real shortage... Antix was especially dull when I heard one of the brothers this year - he played seven tracks from the new album for his live, in a slightly different order, but did not otherwise do much of anything at all to my knowledge. That's my definition of a dull live performance. Contrast that to Aren, who pitched up some of his groovier songs to 140, added layers, and whether or not he was doing anything right there on-the-fly the music was remarkably different and highly suited for the dancefloor. That's a good live show I'd say.

So I'm curious about Magnetrixx and Penta... what are they like to hear live?

And who have you seen that really impressed you?

I think we can leave most of the cases of bad lives out of here, I'm sure there is no shortage for discerning fans :)

Haven't seen Penta live, but i saw a video some time ago... and well, it was just "LAPTOP LIVE" nothing 'live' at all... just the laptop playing the song "mixed" , as most of the psychedelic 'live' acts...

Haven't seen Penta live, but i saw a video some time ago... and well, it was just "LAPTOP LIVE" nothing 'live' at all... just the laptop playing the song "mixed" , as most of the psychedelic 'live' acts...

432146[/snapback]

hmm

maybe Laptop in lives are actually closer to "live" [not sure..]

how did you know he was playing the song mixed, i suppose he was using a program such as Ableton Live...

You can't expect 100% live in electronica anyways, do you want the artists to create everything this time? they would need 89211 hands and 213 brains. :D :D

It would be like expecting from a band to COMPOSE a song and play it at once .

:blink::huh:

eeh, i meant he was playing the songs mixed.. you know, just like a dj does, but he did it with his own tracks... yay.. DJ Penta... same goes for: Para Halu / Sensient / Zebra-N etc... everything sounded EXACTLY the same as on albums/compils...

eeh, i meant he was playing the songs mixed.. you know, just like a dj does, but he did it with his own tracks... yay.. DJ Penta... same goes for: Para Halu / Sensient / Zebra-N etc... everything sounded EXACTLY the same as on albums/compils...

432151[/snapback]

oh i see

Penta, when I've seen him, DJ'd his own tracks - both released and unreleased. Both times I saw him play were a near religious experience.

The only person I've seen do a true "Live" set is Onnomon - seen him 5 or 6 times and each time it's been very different and unique.

Best live act I ever saw (about 3 times now) Son Kite!

Looks like this: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/11389825/

Seen Atmos a coupple of times too & that was so emotional I got tears in my eyes. Fantastic music to end a festival-day.

Never saw Juno but I agree with you on the Antix remark. In my opion the Storm Brothers are just highly talented studio-freaks, who spilt up to do the lives to cash in while they can by playing little more than their last album. Saw them/him on Tshitraka AND Waldfrieden & they didn't play 1 track from Lull! Didn't even look like he was having a good time neither.

Though their music might sound a bit dated, SUN-project still kicks many younger bands ass live. Their great guitar-player(s) & especially their live drummer are so energetic you can't stand still.

I try to make a distinction between good music & a good preformance. I saw Neelix in Germany before he released his current album & he played nearly strictly unreleased stuff. Son Kite played "On Air" at Samothraki 2003 like a year before it was released.

General remark: véry little live acts play live.

This a picture of Hallucinogen Live that I took myself in 2004.

He demanded by contract to have the red synth set-up yet he didn't touch even once!!

http://www.psychedelic.be/coppermine/displ...lbum=185&pos=10

Same goes for this HUGE mixer he requested of which he only used a coupple of channels:

http://www.psychedelic.be/coppermine/displ...album=185&pos=2

Infected did a live preformance in Belgium with guitars that weren't even plugged in!! (no wireless connection neither)

But it makes sense too: music like Astral Projection is just way too complex to actually produce "on stage". I do, however expect something more than just the album tracks in a different order, like at least some unreleased tracks or live-mixes.

In my book a live-act means: you touch/play/hit or do something that makes a sound. Like Etnoscope with their live percussion...

My 2.5 cents!!

I haven't seen too many live acts since I rarely go to parties. But I can tell you about Sub6 and Cosmic Tone live from NYE. It might not be exactly your style but you never said only your style is wanted in that thread... ;)

Cosmic Tone was very nice. I was a bit unsure about the music since on his album (Going Solo) all the tracks sound very similar, the same effects again and again. It's nice music but I thought it might be boring. To my delight he added a few new layers or effects and it was really suitable for the dancefloor. Sub6 was also very good, he played a lot of fast tracks that were good for the dancefloor, interesting material (but of course it was full-on so be prepared...).

So I'm curious about Magnetrixx and Penta... what are they like to hear live?

432126[/snapback]

I saw Magnetrixx & Morganixx live.

I don't think I have the professional ear, but what I can say is it was good music, no major flaws in mixing, a little re-arranging of the songs done (Gluonball had the synth part in the middle somewhat differently arranged for example) and a few unreleased ones played, but it had somewhat the air of "laptop live" as you put it. No knob twisting, just the two of them looking at their screens. I still enjoyed it greatly though, because I love their sound :wub:

And who have you seen that really impressed you?

I think we can leave most of the cases of bad lives out of here, I'm sure there is no shortage for discerning fans :)

432126[/snapback]

There was a similar topic a year ago or so....!!

This was my post at that thread....!

If i was writing this today, i'd write about the same lives cause i haven't seen any really inspiring one lately....!

:)