In What state of mind do you Record ?

Just wondering??

A few years ago ( before I cut down on organic substances ) I discovered that most original & decent, licks & sequences came out at 3am after a night on beer but the tracks were disjointed & out of time ( wonder why? :) ).. I would then put it together sober at a later date...

Also why can I only compose on a Wednesday!!!?? weird

Is there a technical term for this ? !?

Slam

Also why can I only compose on a Wednesday!!!?? weird

Is there a technical term for this ? !?

Slam

417839[/snapback]

Probably something like "obsessive compulsive disorder" :P - just kidding...

I compose whenever something pops into my mind. That can be anytime during the day night, evening, whatever. Sometimes I get up at night, and scribble down ideas on a pice of paper, and try it out in the morning....

When I haven't been able to get any ideas for a long time, I start with a feeling of the atmosphere I want and a bottle of redwine. That usually does the trick.

-A

I make my best productions when I am very tired. Preferrably after a party, when I get home and just want to chill... I start a chill track, and it becomes BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM DRILLLLLLLLLLL DRILLLLLLLLLLL

i personaly find it quite dangerous to compose while under the "influence", dont get me wrong i do that sometimes myself and it can be great to find unusual ideas. however..............

you may find yourself moving in circles, and i mean that literally. i.e. working on something that may sound really great "at the time", only to find that it sounds like crap the next day and not really remembering what it was you were trying to achive....

i used to work as a sound engineer, and i remember a particular recording session that lasted a few days. i was recording a reggae band and they smoked. when i say somked i mean they always had a spliff going round, i didnt participate...these guys thought that it would be a good idea to be stoned while beeing at the studio....the problem was that they completely lost track of what they were doing, the songs were written and normaly all they had to do was to record them. it was a nightmare: instead of sticking to what was planned they suddenly had all these "new ideas". while one member of the band was jamming on tape taking one take after the other, the next member would already say after this take its my turn im really getting a vibe on this etc......so after a few expensive days in the studio they ended up with nothing but one jammed together track that sounded awfull....and you can imagine whos fault it was in their eyes: of course mine.......glad im not working as an engineer anymore.. ;)

Whatever state of mind occurs least often ;)

No, i tend do be either really tired, angry or something like that. Sometimes i can continue on a song if i manage to keep all the ideas collected, but usually, the best songs are made when everything else stinks.

i for one, find sticking my head in refrigerator and then closing the door several times... real hard helps a lot...

can't recommend this method enough

418846[/snapback]

after having hit each other with refrigirators one night we came up with this psychedelic jazz track...that is me and my band...

http://www.philter-music.com/philter_and_b...hard_koeler.mp3

Guest The Journey Man Project

when I have free time at home which is very very rare... I just wish I'd gotten a synth instead of my dj gear... I had the choice of Supernove, but I took the dj gear (2 years ago)... stupid move eh?

I compose only when I'm really bored, which means all the time. :rolleyes:

But seriously, the only necessary condition for me is to be alone at home. I can't concentrate when there's too much activity around.

For exemple, when you're immersed in your music, and suddenly your mom comes in and ask you to tidy your room...... very frustrating.