6. Nopsakka

7. Creatures

8. Nature Of Reipas part III

9. Why Does It Always Have To Be New

10. Midnight Valssi

11. Syntikkaihme

12. Return

A day off and a new record =)

Atleast for me this was a long-awaited release, after their killer debut (s) on Demon Tea and the Lola Gain Ep on Devic Craft Cordings (rip) we are treated to another round of Reipas songs.

If you have had the chance to see them live, they are more like a traditional band than a laptop live of which there seems to be an abundance nowadays, having live drumming, percussions, guitars & bass on top of the electronic wizardry.

Like the first album, I wouldn`t go to call this trance, while many of the songs fall in the 4/4 kick pattern it reminds me more of the 2nd Rip Van Hippy Album, with those quirky and often videogame-ish sounds often heard in Finnish trance with wistful Slavic melodies (Finland is not Scandinavia, folks) not unlike the band Aavikko and echoes of Dub. The final tracks in the album also have a strange Benza-like quality that I can`t quite put my finger on.

The album gathers steam throughout its course from mellow chill-out (how I hate that word, placid and bland) through caustic breakbeats to dancefloor mayhem. My favourite tracks are "Kashahum" which rolls along smoothly, "Nature Of reipas part III" which has excatly the feel which I came to expect from them, a steady Suomisaundi number with some acoustic guitar thrown into the mix, also "Syntikkaihme" and "Return" are memorable, ass-kicking c64 rave :)

I consider this a worthy successor to the Reipas discography of yore, and fights for the #1 Freakdance release spot with Luomuhappo.

8 1/2 out ov 10

• 2 weeks later...

This review is originally from Psylosophy - http://www.psylosophy.com/index.php?name=P...iewtopic&p=1713 :

This sounds different...the 1st track takes me to a dark street circa 1950. The 2nd track starts off like a children's nursery ryme...beautiful and FAST. Track 3 takes me to groovy tranceville. What unusual talent! Artists taking Psytrance to another level. Track 4, music exploration. Maybe not as good as the other tracks, a bit light. 5 - Depeche Mode on Acid. You wont believe the excellence until you have listened. Electronica for people that LOVE music and psychedelica - track 6. The creatures will make you sway... A slower track, but excellent and groovy. They ask "Why Does It Always Have To Be New?". Well, new is always interesting, and if it is as groovy as this shit I don't mind. Kraftwerk getting diiiiirty. The tempo has picked up and this is sounding scary. This is beyond music and has become art. I am waiting for the bomb to go OFF! Beautiful spectacular MUSIC. Well after this experience all I can expect from you is to LISTEN. 9/10

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

Uwaga is the second album of the James Reipas finnish band composed of: Kolmas Vaasemmalta (guitar,vocals), Oksari Olevainen (percussion,vocals) & Kayab(keyboards). It was mastered by Simon Polinsky & Kayab produced an handmade & original cover.

James Reipas's sound is unique, why? Because it's a mix of live acoustic instruments & hardware synths with Midi system, furthermore musically the tracks are electic in a bald, even strongly bald style which is truely atypic for the psytrance scene. By the way when i'm saying unique sound, i'm the first convinced it won't match everybody's taste due to the bald dimension.

However, let's come back to the electic side of the album, inside Uwaga you'll be able to find electro (tracks 1,2,5,9), rock (T 3,4,7), classical music (T 10), cold (T 1,7,8) & pop (T 2,4,5,9,11) influences.

About the 2 last tunes missing: Nopsakka is the straightest suomi sound with, like overall the album, a live rythmic played & Return starts like a climatic ambient tune then evolves into more suomi dancefloor sound with soft 303 loops.

Full on's Djs & hardcore lovers pass your way ;).

Favorites:2,4,5,6,8,9,10

7,5/10

• 1 month later...

A review from Damion / Psyreviews (UK):

James Reipas

Uwaga

Freakdance (Finland)

And then every now and again, something comes along which makes you deliriously happy. 2001’s This Is Not In Fashion was a long time ago, and back then I remember loving it and wondering quite how most psytrance could call itself psychedelic with a straight face. But maybe this is psychedelic in the same way that Emerson Lake and Palmer is; or something. Live instruments combine with midi, possibly inside a washing machine… you can’t tell, it’s that sort of album. We Are Not Intelligent is a creeping, slomo stomp knee-deep in paranoid electro. It puts me in mind of Michael Jackson’s Thriller, although with more elves than zombies. Baltic Sea is a fucking corker – sounding like Kraftwerk on finnish mushrooms. The production is pure 80s, sheeny shiney psychedelic music. It’s just gorgeous, and one I intend to play out whenever I have an excuse to do so. Rightto edges it to a more conventional psy pattern, but still maintaining this glorious electro sheen that sounds very, very good right now. Kashahum sounds like it was lifted from Jean Michelle Jarre’s subconscious while he was asleep after having a bit of a heavy K session. The sounds are just off the scale here, seriously. It sounds like the theme tune to one of those morbidly utopian post-Tron films in the 80s. Staggering. Rauma is a more stuttered approach, as though the soundtrack to Warriors was being recreated by R2D2 and his mates (they play the Mos Isely Cantina every second Thursday, 8pm till 10.) Nopsakka is unbelievable, I can’t even think of anything to liken it to. Think the digitally downloaded brains of The Prodigy and The B52’s, collaborating to make music that bits of old computers can breakdance to. Then, it turns into the love theme from Bladerunner as retold by Speak N’ Spell and BigTrak. None of which quite prepares you for the somewhat unsettling Creatures. Twisted vocal spouts twisted words, while a persistent bottomend pumps along. Screams and whistles and funk wash in over the top… it’s ker-wality, but one hopes Mr Reipas doesn’t have any children. Nature Of Reipas Part III is in a similar vein… think young Gamma Goblins on a school trip to Chessington World Of Adventures. The music shifts from quirky laugh-along-a-reipas to a sort of “house piano riff with special needs”, all gleefully sounding, like the first album did, a bit like the music on the Rainbow Road level on Mario Kart. Why Does It Always Have To Be New sounds like fin-de-ciecle, closing time music… or the end of a rather bizarre film in which Pingu and Mr Bean join the Finnish football team to thrash Brazil 16-1 in the final of the World Cup. And then things go weirder still, with the 168,000-BPM Midnight Valssi, another shockingly shocking tune that has no regard for your wellbeing, no regard for your sanity, and no regard for your Auntie, which it recently defecated on after a date went wrong. Despite this, you like it for being a manically psychedelic tune with a muted trumpet lead, a scando-folk-waltz midsection, not forgetting the thrash metal stab at the end. Syntikkaihme sounds like Finland hosting the Winter Olympics and the Reipas man in the house providing the soundtrack to some ghastly opening ceremony, meanwhile my neighbours think I’ve finally gone fully bonkers with this Clannad-on-DMT coming out my windows. With Return at the end starting out Tangerine Dream and then morphing eerily into a full-throttle electrofunk workout, you feel that something of a milestone has been reached. You won’t be able to mix it with your identikit Nanoalchemysolsticespun-mega, but that’s the point. Gneuinely psychedelic, genuinely fresh, genuinely essential.

http://www.psyreviews.com

i didn't like it, from the four minute samples i tasted( http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=5429 ) shoot me if i'm wrong. it's definatelly different and loaded with new ideas... but it sounds retro... that is almost retro and primary for my taste. I would much rather dwelve in scozbor that to my ears sounds a more psychedelic. Just my opinion...

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

i didn't like it, from the four minute samples i tasted( http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=5429 ) shoot me if i'm wrong. it's definatelly different and loaded with new ideas... but it sounds retro... that is almost retro and primary for my taste. I would much rather dwelve in scozbor that to my ears sounds a more psychedelic. Just my opinion...

439921[/snapback]

The listener must be armed with his multi comprehension level skills to have a little probability of enjoying this release.

439921[/snapback]

As I point out in my soon-to-be-done review, it's definetely niché music - fans of the retro sound, or generally open-minded people will like it, others not.

Look for a detailed review at TranceCritic.com anyday soon.

• 1 month later...

hey , i have some great time here in Rio , listen to james reipas new album in copacana´s beach .

its perfect for my city!

all tracks rocks .... very Acid feelings n very funny . a lot of good vibrations in this album .

Boom James . its Pedro .

I have to agree with Pedro here... I´m definately playing this on the beach here in Rio... this is the type of sound which is just fine for listening with beaufitul girl by your side, grabbing her boobs... it´s an 80s thing combined with very very 2030 (that means futuristic) winter olympics stuff. It could be perfect for playing in snowy open air too. But definately not an easy sound. Some tracks are a certain hit on a chemically-altered audience...especially E.... this is very good music, I just think some tracks could be a little less fast on the bpm... 9,5/10 .

• 1 year later...

This surely is different from the rest, I like it in some occasions, but not too often. Starts to sound annoying if I try to listen to it more than twice a week :unsure:

Now after lots of listens (mostly with headphones) I consider this to be a classic. 9.5/10 :clapping: